TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 602: Universal Holidays & Velocicoaster photo report posted!

Heck, they didn't even heavily advertise it until it officially opened, yet EVERYONE seemed to know about it. You go up to a random person in the US and ask them if they knew there was a Harry Potter theme park in Florida, most of the time they'd probably say yes.

I think you are neglecting to recognize the ridiculous amount of media coverage that also came with the announcement. Just about every major and minor news outlet carried the news of a "Harry Potter theme park in Florida" and that story stayed active throughout the many phases of development and construction following the original announcement. Even today, the news of the eventual expansion is still a top search item because once again, the "Harry Potter theme park" has been featured in both major and minor outlet--and nothing solid has even been announced yet!

Handling a good deal of the news research for TPR, I do a daily Google search with customized parameters to hone in on this industry's news. And I'll tell you, even in the slowest weeks, 95% percent of the time I will find at least one reference, if not an entire article dedicated to Potter that comes up in my international search. Even if the story isn't anything new, something shows up. Love it or hate it, Potter has made an impact on the industry, both internally and externally. The general public knows about the Wizarding World of Harry Potter because the topic has been fed to them nonstop since the announcement was first made, since the area first opened and since the "announcement" that it would be expanded came out. Even when there isn't news to be had, there is still something to say about the area, which can be credited both to Universal's PR and to the media's infatuation with the concept from start to finish.

Edited by jedimaster1227
  • Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like how they build a roller coaster in the same time it took them to built new lockers for Harry Potter.   

On Sunday I ventured out to the Universal Orlando Resort for a chance to see the new holiday offerings at the two parks. This year is a little different thanks to COVID-19, but Universal has still man

^Agreed. I think the newer Intamin lapbars are actually the best steel coaster restraint currently being produced. When comparing overhead lapbars on Taron and Blue Fire, I found the Intamin ones to b

Posted Images

And from a "fun" perspective, couldn't you enjoy Forbidden Journey even if you didn't know the story? Sure I wasn't a huge fan of the awkward ride transitions, but the overall ride was still really fun and exciting. A member of the general public doesn't look deep for a ride's story, but focuses on what the ride actually does, and what they experienced.

I know a lot of people, including myself, who strongly disagree with this.

Forbidden Journey is one of those rides that attracts GP and enthusiasts alike because of its unique ride system and theme.

Strongly disagree.

If you weren't a Potter fan and neither was your friend, but your friend went and raved about Forbidden Journey, would you most likely go and give it a chance? Most likely yes.

I gave it a chance. Two, in fact. And I don't ever feel the need to ride it again. I'm not a comic book fan either, but I don't mind riding Spiderman. I'm not a Star Wars fan, but I like Star Tours. I actually HATE Winnie the Pooh, but I absolutely love Pooh's Hunny Hunt. Why is that? Forbidden Journey, and the land itself does a horrible, awful job of telling anyone who doesn't know about Potter anything about the franchise or the story. It assumes that anyone who enters the area is fully educated in the Potterverse, thus leaving most people who aren't in the know, totally confused. To me, the ride and area is just a bunch of silly "unicorns and fairies", and it doesn't do anything to even try to invite me into that world. Why do I want to stand in line for two hours to buy a stick? I dunno. The land doesn't give my any insight as to why I should be doing that. Fail.

After my first visit to Wizarding World, someone asked me "What did you get out of the land?" and I responded "I guess the characters live in a castle, drink butter and fight some kind of sheet monster?" I honestly had no clue. The sad part about all of this is, since I'm someone who has never seen any of the movies or read any of the books, Wizarding World, in theory, should be the perfect vehicle to introduce me to Potter, and try to get me hooked. It completely fails at doing this. I'm actually surprised JK Rowling even let that happen. If anything, Wizarding World turned me OFF from wanting to know more about Potter as it had that "You're not a Potter fan? F**k you! You don't belong here!" vibe, and I thought that was really lame.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey
I'm actually surprised JK Rowling even let that happen.

Well, that's because she assumes that everyone on Earth has read and bowed down to her and her kids books.

^^I strongly agree about the whole Harry Potter land and FJ "story".

I am someone who has read all the Harry Potter books and seen the movies, but I've thought about an outside perspective when riding Journey, and it's a total "WTF" experience.

For example, if I was a non-Potter fan, I'd be like "Wtf...we just were in some forest with hugeass spiders...now we're about to get smacked by a huge tree, and now OMG that ghosty thing just came up in my face! What the hell is going on?"

The queue tells some backstory, but not enough to support the entire ride so that it's understood by the guest. I've never been into many of the comics, etc, but I can still understand what's happening through the story sequence on Spiderman. Same thing with Mummy. When I first rode it in like 04/05, I hadn't seen any of the movies, but the queue story explains the ride enough, and even explains why the one guy was upset that he didn't get his cup of coffee.

I also hate what's been done to Dueling Dragons. From what I've heard, J.K. Rowling wasn't sure what to do with the coaster because it was "in the way" of Potterland, so they just pretty much stripped the castle bare and put some candles on the ceiling and left it at that. I could see if this was some lame Cedar Fair walk-through-the-castle-before-the-ride, but this is Universal we're talking about. It's just sad to remember how much character Islands of Adventure USED to have.

I'd just like to add my opinion to all of this Harry Potter stuff. I feel that the area is very complete with iconic scenes from the series, and Forbidden Journey was a really good ride. It highlighted many random scenes from the movies that probably seem most memorable, but there was no really consistent flow between any of the scenes. Example.. You go from fighting tarantulas, to doing a flip, to playing the broomstick game. But overall, I actually found the ride intense, and good star attraction for the land.

On the other hand, I rode the ride with my mom. She's seen the first two movies, and probably another, but she's far from knowing much about Harry Potter other than Harry had a scar on his head, and an evil guy was after him. When she rode the ride, she thought it was better than Superman for all the cool effects and all, but she didn't get the ride flow at all. You could call my mom the GP, and say she was easily amazed by what Universal did with the place.

Although I really think Universal should not add the new Harry Potter land, as I think Wizarding World is enough. I think another area would be too much.

This sounds cool to me!

I think one of the problems FJ had was that it was built in such a tiny space that they really had to rush the story. The ride makes perfect sense, but it took me a few rides to get everything because it all just comes at you so fast. The projection screens were just a way save space, and really don't add anything to the ride. Overall, it's impressive that they built such a "big" attraction in such a small space, but I definitely was confused on my first few rides just because of the rushed pace of it all.

Hopefully this new addition won't have that same problem, the space they're working with is much larger, and the ride system itself could turn out to be interesting.

Put me down as cautiously optimistic.

Not only is the Potter franchise more recent then the others (immediately making their popularity greater), but the Potter franchise is worth triple both of those mega-franchises.

That's the most subjective load of crap I've ever heard. Also, it's called inflation. Look it up. It figures in.

FACT: The first Star Wars movie was released 35 years ago. If Lucas partnered with Disney to create a "Star Wars land," it would probably be just as, if not 1000 times more popular than Potter. Oh, and did I mention the popularity of that franchise spans three and a half decades?

These arguments are stupid.

+1

These arguments are stupid.

I also call total bullsh** -- Justice is conveniently leaving out the billions of dollars worth of toys and video games that the Star War franchise has generated. Star Wars is just as strong as Potter as far as I've seen.... and I think will have greater longevity IMO (my opinion, obviously), SW has already been going strong for 3 decades. We'll see how Potter is doing 20 years from now......

And from a "fun" perspective, couldn't you enjoy Forbidden Journey even if you didn't know the story? Sure I wasn't a huge fan of the awkward ride transitions, but the overall ride was still really fun and exciting. A member of the general public doesn't look deep for a ride's story, but focuses on what the ride actually does, and what they experienced.

I know a lot of people, including myself, who strongly disagree with this.

Forbidden Journey is one of those rides that attracts GP and enthusiasts alike because of its unique ride system and theme.

Strongly disagree.

If you weren't a Potter fan and neither was your friend, but your friend went and raved about Forbidden Journey, would you most likely go and give it a chance? Most likely yes.

I gave it a chance. Two, in fact. And I don't ever feel the need to ride it again. I'm not a comic book fan either, but I don't mind riding Spiderman. I'm not a Star Wars fan, but I like Star Tours. I actually HATE Winnie the Pooh, but I absolutely love Pooh's Hunny Hunt. Why is that? Forbidden Journey, and the land itself does a horrible, awful job of telling anyone who doesn't know about Potter anything about the franchise or the story. It assumes that anyone who enters the area is fully educated in the Potterverse, thus leaving most people who aren't in the know, totally confused. To me, the ride and area is just a bunch of silly "unicorns and fairies", and it doesn't do anything to even try to invite me into that world. Why do I want to stand in line for two hours to buy a stick? I dunno. The land doesn't give my any insight as to why I should be doing that. Fail.

After my first visit to Wizarding World, someone asked me "What did you get out of the land?" and I responded "I guess the characters live in a castle, drink butter and fight some kind of sheet monster?" I honestly had no clue. The sad part about all of this is, since I'm someone who has never seen any of the movies or read any of the books, Wizarding World, in theory, should be the perfect vehicle to introduce me to Potter, and try to get me hooked. It completely fails at doing this. I'm actually surprised JK Rowling even let that happen. If anything, Wizarding World turned me OFF from wanting to know more about Potter as it had that "You're not a Potter fan? F**k you! You don't belong here!" vibe, and I thought that was really lame.

--Robb

I completely agree with your assessment of Forbidden Journey, Robb -- and I'm a HP fan for the most part, but the FJ ride is kinda dull for me. I personally think they are milking the HP franchise to death with the upcoming expansion -- and would have rather seen a different movie theme for their cool "Spider-Mummy" dark ride plans.

I know the new dark ride will be technologically amazing -- but HP is plain getting overexposed IMO. I'll probably spend more time at Disney's "Avatar" land to protest

I just want to see their patent for the coaster/moving track piece simulator hybrid come to life, so if that's what this is than I'm really excited. And for the non-lovers of FJ because of its inability to express the story to non-fans, a Gringotts ride should be able to accomplish that a lot more - it's much easier to understand a mine cart ride through a wizard bank than it is an entire highlight reel from all the movies and books.

I might just have to type up an essay explaining the story behind FJ, so non-HP fans can understand what is going on.

I think you've completely missed the point.

I have NO desire for the fantasy crap labeled as "Harry Potter". I've already made the mistake of seeing the first movie years ago, and was forced to sit through the last movie with the family on Thanksgiving. Both were poorly acted, intelligence lacking, and absolutely predictable.

So for me, a theme park goer, I would like a ride that makes sense. Spiderman, (though I'm not a fan of the comic, or the movies), tells an excellent story, followed by a fantastic ride. Learning through the queue what the ride is about, made it that much more enjoyable. Random animatronics and visual tricks, without telling a story are useless.

I don't want to read, and "learn how" to enjoy a ride. I want to enjoy the whole ride experience, beginning to end. Otherwise, I'll just go out and join "Theme Book Review"

It's like going to ride an SLC, and having to sit through a training video on how to ride it.

(and YES, this does exist - right Elissa?)

JJ

Overall, it is going to be nice to see something new in the park regardless of what it is. Granted, a major attraction like this is even better. Guests are always wondering what is new since their last visit. Even if they ride it and didn't enjoy it, it is still a new experience.

Maps dated Jan 3rd - 7th show no more Amity but it does look like Fear Factor Live is going to hold on for a while.

nojaws.bmp

This article might be the type of coaster hybrid coming to Universal Studios: http://www.coaster101.com/2011/09/19/universals-motion-base-track-patent/

The descriptions of the two concepts sound very similar.

I'm more interested to see how they connect the two lands if this second land opens up. The train idea sounds great.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-mummy-ride-derails-20120101,0,5667091.story

Universal Studios' Revenge of the Mummy and E.T. Adventures rides malfunctioned with park guests aboard Sunday evening, requiring about 24 riders to be evacuated by Orlando Fire Department.

A park official said technical difficulties caused both rides to come to a stop within minutes of each other shortly before 6 p.m.

"The system noted that there was a problem and that it should not continue," said Alyson Lundell, a theme park spokeswoman. "It's programmed to stop running at that point and that's what they did."

Lundell said 12 people were evacuated from a single vehicle that was about 10 feet off the ground on the Revenge of the Mummy ride. Another 12 were evacuated from a single vehicle on the E.T. Adventures ride. Other guests were unloaded from the loading platform, she added.

Lundell said the rides were reopened about 8 p.m. after about an hour-long inspection and testing.

Lundell said no one was hurt or requested medical treatment.

Edited by jedimaster1227