TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

As much as I hate the thought, it looks like I won't be hitting up this park during my January visit after all.

At first, I was concerned about DD not being open, but after figuring out finances and purchasing a four day 'Magic Your Way' ticket and a BGT/Sea World combo, I simply won't have the time or money for Universal/IOA.

Guess I'm just gonna have to save my money for 2011 and come back when both Harry Potter and DD are open!

^I know the feeling, I was supposed to go to Universal Studios for four days starting at the beginning of December, but unfortunately some extra expenses (car getting crashed into and totaled by a 16 year old girl texting, driving 50 in a 25, in the rain, at night, with her headlights off. Needless to say, my car had to be replaced) came up. I'm keeping my outlook positive though. I'm planning for a trip next December and everything will be open by then and it will only make it better due to my two year hiatus from Orlando.

I miss Universal Studios and can't wait to get back. Harry Potter, HRRR, the Simpsons ride, and the renovation of Earthquake will all be new additions to my lineup. And hopefully I'll be able to get to SeaWorld when I'm there and can add Manta and hopefully Kraken to my count (Kraken was closed for seasonal maintenance last time I was there).

^^ Tell you what's really frustrating... I'm taking a school group to WDW during Spring Break in March. The last time they went, they hit up USF/IOA. This time, due to increased flight prices, we had to delete a day, so Universal got the axe.

If it wouldn't be COMPLETELY unprofessional, I would hail a cab and sneak off to IOA for a day. Between all the school groups, I end up going to WDW every 18 months or so. For free, of course.

^ Yeah, well... I was told by park staff that the coaster never opens before 11. Since the park closes at 6 these days, the last riders are off the trains by 7 or so. I'm no expert, but wouldn't that leave plenty of time to test new trains when the ride's not scheduled to be open to the public?

So we missed riding it on Friday so they could put a banner up?!? Wow, just wow! Like they couldn't do that when the park is closed?

Well, keep in mind the last attempt at the banner fell down! So I think it's not just as simple as tacking up a piece of cloth to the side of the ride.

It actually is a pretty intricate piece of theming that needed to be "installed" and given the results of the last attempt, they probably wanted to do it safely and correctly.

I'm shocked the ride was only down one day!

^ Yeah, well... I was told by park staff that the coaster never opens before 11. Since the park closes at 6 these days, the last riders are off the trains by 7 or so. I'm no expert, but wouldn't that leave plenty of time to test new trains when the ride's not scheduled to be open to the public?

You're absoultley right! You are no expert...however you speak as though you are. Ironic, huh?

If you'd take the time to read some of this thread you'll know that the ride has been plagued with some technical issues since it's opened.

We should be happy that the ride actually opened in the first place and stop complaining about it getting some down time that it NEEDS in order for it to be more operational for your future visits.

Seriously, you should try opening a ride like this under all the pressures that go along with it.

I can tell you from my first hand experience working in an area where a major attraction opened 6 months late (Splash Mountain at Disneyland) that I think most people here would crack under the stress of having to put up with some of the people who complain about the ride having zero idea of what goes into making the damn thing run.

And on a final note, we have this thread for a reason - and we have people who work at the park monitor this thread as well. If you need information about the status of the ride, you can either call the park or check with this thread.

As a Theme Park Enthusiast myself, I know when a ride may be "problematic" and I try to do everything I can to make sure the ride will be open on the day I'm there, OR have a contingency plan in place to get back to a ride that I know is problematic and may be closed on the day I visit.

There should be absolutely NO EXCUSE from anyone who reads this forum on a regular basis that they didn't know that Rip Ride Rockit was having technical issues. We've been discussing it for MONTHS.

--Robb "I'd rather the ride get the attention it needs now then having it forever be problematic." Alvey

--Robb "I'd rather the ride get the attention it needs now then having it forever be problematic." Alvey

I agree. Universal has this freedom (like Disney, Sea World, other year round parks) to do these soft opening tests and not to have a definitive opening date.

While other seasonal regional parks (Cedar Point, Six Flags) want a ride to open on this date at this time, come Hell or high water! Because that Investment needs that immediate reimbursement.

If they would have done to rides like Deja' Vu, Top Thrill Dragster, Hypersonic XL, etc. what they are doing to HRR, then the Coaster community might not complain as much about the down time. But they cant, sadly.

So I do agree with Robb and say let it have down time now, so we don't complain about it for the next 3 years about how its never open...

^ & ^^ Wow...sorry to hear of both plights. Jmicha - that sounds like quite a scary accident...hopefully, everyone was okay? I know that feeling as I got t-boned a few years ago by a teen girl talking on her cell phone while driving. She initially stopped at the stop sign (I had right of way) and then she just gunned it and plowed right into the passenger side of my Saturn - scared the crap out of me! But luckily we both walked away from it unharmed (cars were a different story).

Back to IOA...after reading on here about DD possibly being down and HRRR having some technical issues, I am not as devastated about missing it. Just another reason to go back to Florida in 2011!

Similar to you missing out on Kraken, I also missed out on Kumba at BGT during my visit a few years ago when they were giving him a new paint job. After hearing and reading about all of the great reviews for Kumba and Manta, I am super-psyched to get a chance to ride both in a few weeks! I'll keep the fingers crossed that both are up & running!

You're absoultley right! You are no expert...however you speak as though you are. Ironic, huh?

If you'd take the time to read some of this thread you'll know that the ride has been plagued with some technical issues since it's opened.

No, I wasn't speaking as though I were an expert; I was simply wondering whether, if new trains were the issue, there wouldn't be time to test them when the ride wasn't scheduled to operate. Sorry, I don't find that ironic at all. (It's not, after all, like I said, "I'm no expert, but the ride should be running well by now.")

Yes, I have read the thread, and yes, I did know going in that the ride has been jinxed. And yes, I "contingently" planned on 2 1/2 days at Universal, figuring I might be able to ride a couple of times. As it happens, I only got on once. Not complaining, since unlike many visitors over the past few weeks, I was actually able to ride, iwth less than a 45-minute wait. Just pointing out that for something that is USO's only new E-ticket for years, it must be disappointing both to people who want to ride a very hyped new attraction and to the execs who are watching HRRR underperform during the holiday season.

And yes, I do wonder if all this "routine maintenance" is in fact routine, or if the ride is kinda a lemon. (Especially since, unlike envelope-pushers like TTD, Deja Vu, and Hypersonic, the only extraordinary feature is the audio on demand.) What, I can't wonder that?

If they would have done to rides like Deja' Vu, Top Thrill Dragster, Hypersonic XL, etc. what they are doing to HRR, then the Coaster community might not complain as much about the down time. But they cant, sadly.

As a former DejaVu Great America ride op I can say even while the park was open, it was still down for several weeks/months at a time while the ride was getting major rehabs and programming changes to get it operating more reliably, and it still met its fate

No, I wasn't speaking as though I were an expert; I was simply wondering whether, if new trains were the issue, there wouldn't be time to test them when the ride wasn't scheduled to operate. Sorry, I don't find that ironic at all. (It's not, after all, like I said, "I'm no expert, but the ride should be running well by now.")

Yes, I have read the thread, and yes, I did know going in that the ride has been jinxed. And yes, I "contingently" planned on 2 1/2 days at Universal, figuring I might be able to ride a couple of times. As it happens, I only got on once. Not complaining, since unlike many visitors over the past few weeks, I was actually able to ride, iwth less than a 45-minute wait. Just pointing out that for something that is USO's only new E-ticket for years, it must be disappointing both to people who want to ride a very hyped new attraction and to the execs who are watching HRRR underperform during the holiday season.

And yes, I do wonder if all this "routine maintenance" is in fact routine, or if the ride is kinda a lemon. (Especially since, unlike envelope-pushers like TTD, Deja Vu, and Hypersonic, the only extraordinary feature is the audio on demand.) What, I can't wonder that?

No.

Hey acqz as person who worked over at rockkit for one day cause they needed help it doesnt run when the temp is under 60degrees. Thats why it doesnt open until usually 11 or later in the day. It was down for last week for routine maintenance i know they put another net up and also had water dummies on the trains.

Hey acqz as person who worked over at rockkit for one day cause they needed help it doesnt run when the temp is under 60degrees. Thats why it doesnt open until usually 11 or later in the day. It was down for last week for routine maintenance i know they put another net up and also had water dummies on the trains.

Seriously. Please fix your posting style--it is a pain to read your posts. Consider yourself warned for the last time.

I was at Universal Orlando for the past two days and never was able to get a ride, but I honestly didn't much expect to.

This is one of the busiest weeks of the year for the Orlando parks and I've been reading this thread off and on for the past few months and seeing the issues that have been talked about, so I knew it would be a crap shoot at best.

It was open Monday morning when I got to the park around 9:30 and the wait was already 150 minutes. You read that right, 150 minutes.

This morning it was extremely cold for Orlando and I knew they probably wouldn't open early but we went to the parks and had fun riding other things. Once it opened around noon we walked over and the line was already 150 minutes again.

I'm guessing at this point that if you're going when it's crowded and you want to ride this thing you'd better have an express pass.

These aren't complaints. As I said, I didn't go in with expectations very high so I wasn't upset that I didn't get to ride. Just thought I'd share my experience.

Heyy Guys, I got a question for you

I am going to universal on march, during the first week.

I was wondering, while checking the hours, why is universal closing so early! It closes a 6P.M ans that's way to early for a theme park, isn't it

Seing those hours made me a tad sad because i won't have the chance to see HRR all lit up, which it the most awesome thing about this ride...

Anyways, can someone just tell me why is it closing that early!!

Thanks

JpDupuis

^^Yeah, it's just a sacrifice you make going in the off season. With the exception of not getting night rides though, the experience is so much better when the park isn't busy. I've been there and never had to wait more than five minutes for anything. It is sad though you won't be able to see HRRR all lit up in person. I know next time I go I won't be able to either and that's one of the most interesting things about its appearance. Oh well, I'd gladly take being able to ride Revenge of the Mummy, MIB, Hulk, Dueling Dragons, and Jurassic Park more than five times each amongst pretty much every other big ride in a day than seeing HRRR lit up at night.

It was open Monday morning when I got to the park around 9:30 and the wait was already 150 minutes. You read that right, 150 minutes.

Heh, I'm actually surprised it was ONLY 150 minutes! Did you see that video PianoJohn posted from Epcot during this past week? Test Track was 130 minutes and Soarin' was 160!

And those are for rides that are YEARS old now!!!

--Robb

^Hopefully it won't be crowded next week. I'll be at IOA & Universal Tuesday before I start the Disney College Program Wednesday. Are crowds usually busy in early January after the New Year at WDW & Universal?

EDIT (Since I don't want to double post): Just rode it earlier today as my first coaster ride of 2010! The parks was pretty crowded & quite cool as well 54F high. I rocked out to Cyanide by Metallica & tomorrow I am going to give Diary of Jane a go! I think it is a fun ride. I got a little air on the first drop.

UPDATE - 01/06/2010

-There seems to be a lot of detailing going on in the Hogsemeade section of the WWoHP and it's starting to look really good.

-Flying Unicorn/Flight of the Hippo's track is now a darker brown color but its supports remain gray. Who wants to take bets on what the colors will be next time I put up an update?

-The castle hasn't really changed too much from the normal guest pathway view. I'm sorry but I'm not the type of person that is willing to climb all over tables and shove my camera through a fence with a no tresspassing sign to find out what it looks like behind the scenes.

-Dueling Dragon's/Dragon Chellenge (Why did you have to change the name Universal? Why...?) has had its temporary queue re-routed so that you choose between Fire and Ice when you get up to the castle. If you choose Ice you walk straight though its exit. If you choose Fire you walk through it's exit. This works out much better than having both exit and enter through Ice's original exit.

-Finally, the park is staring to advertise the WWoHP throughout the resort with an abundance of new signs popping up.

Enjoy!:

1860794798_100_2553800x600.jpg.4c93ad0ce5ff93fb80ffc4c53a77063f.jpg

And one last shot of Hogwarts with less sun. Hope you guys enjoyed!

276354712_100_2551800x600.jpg.8eb1982db5ca6e02aa7d1e047a0a33ba.jpg

Greenhouse and Potterbox. Read comment's above for why this is all you'll see of the greenhouse.

597131978_100_2549800x600.jpg.62d4c0be201e7ea8b031ff2a9735053a.jpg

Close up of the new "walkway" being added. It's no longer levitating... Aww shucks.

1695728713_100_2548800x600.jpg.f82a1d1585956fb00c5114d9b77f99f8.jpg

The Great Hall, with some Potterbox...

240976441_100_2546800x600.jpg.a076477627246ed51072cb48c895cfee.jpg

Sorry about the sun. Anyways, it's amazing to see how small the castle really is when there's something relative next to it (the cherry picker in this picture).

827412016_100_2539800x600.jpg.6086b272a18e1831d328f252523cf9cf.jpg

light bulb.

1878956893_100_2535800x600.jpg.2d432d2fcee9c2b20b3325b05b3c4e89.jpg

Not much has changed here. Especially not the fact that the Potterbox is clearly visible from many sections of the park...

616971578_100_2541800x600.jpg.7c80caaced0c65e1a0ab6fb573054a78.jpg

Flight of the Hippo's new paint job.

360029275_100_2544800x600.jpg.0b5371667abba474af2bc28023dc71bc.jpg

Keep up the good work guys.

2090771763_100_2543800x600.jpg.72581c0e3899817b92b420ce60414364.jpg

Now it's time for: the other side of Hogsemeade!

383240702_100_2537800x600.jpg.bbc2f48e1545b0e18b9a2d996dc467e5.jpg

1/2 of Potterville.

1309020006_100_2536800x600.jpg.f84ce77815cd3832701f33da67122fdd.jpg

This looks completely different now than it did a few weeks ago.

1824634120_100_2534800x600.jpg.71cad2a6c05763584aa46495e5bc3155.jpg

This section of the park really is starting to get quiet detailed.

1107526580_100_2533800x600.jpg.7475ccf5e9bf704e2d7b5133d4da9e5c.jpg

Construction in action!

1508447301_100_2532800x600.jpg.0c59f8289502f6f4198674ea4b8cd601.jpg

What's this I see?

1433616349_100_2554800x600.jpg.b57cdbad39cb1e4c1692ee8091deab63.jpg

Welcome to Universal Orlando. Where we'll make sure you know about our new project before you even park your car, before you get to city walk, and while you're leaving your favorite park.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm taking about 130 students down to WDW over Spring Break, and they're a little bent out of shape that we're not doing Universal this year (airfare and Disney costs are up, and we really wanted to keep the trip under $1K apiece, so something had to go). Now they swear up and down to me that WWoHP is opening on March 1, so by the time we're there on the 13th, it'll be in full swing.

Although I suspect they're repeating something somebody heard from somebody's friend's brother's girlfriend's second cousin's bus driver... they still haven't set a concrete open date, have they? I'm not expecting it to be open by the time we're there (not that it would matter since we'll be on property at Disney). I just want to quiet the whining...