TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

^^I really hope not. Holiday World will kick themselves come summer when the attraction becomes extremely busy...all of that extra space will open up a ton of line-jumping.

From the video I have viewed of the testing (I understand the lift speed will be altered) But the ride seems pretty nippy through the course, just goes to show everyone who thought it would crawl through should have waited to see what would happen first!

Can't get the You Tube Embedded to work....sorry!

guys guys GUYS! calm down. I just meant that I thought it sounds interesting with the people mover, and I am wondering how they will accommodate with a person in a wheelchair if they expect to have trains to go through the station in 23 seconds. now, maybe I read it wrong, and coastercritic means that there will be a train leaving every 23 seconds, but multiple trains in the station, i dont know. I was just thinking. now i'll just stop talking about this and see it myself in july.

For the record: I completely understood what you were saying. Don't let those guys keep you from posting your thoughts.

^That's a really good video. If only they caught the facade fly-through on film, though...

One thing I've noticed myself, though, is that it looks like the tops of the trains barely pass the edge of the station roof. Maybe it's just the angle of the pics and videos I've seen, but it looks like it could be a problem once the ride opens. Hell, after the FAIL at the firehouse facade, a FAIL on the lift wouldn't surprise me.

^That's a really good video. If only they caught the facade fly-through on film, though...

One thing I've noticed myself, though, is that it looks like the tops of the trains barely pass the edge of the station roof. Maybe it's just the angle of the pics and videos I've seen, but it looks like it could be a problem once the ride opens. Hell, after the FAIL at the firehouse facade, a FAIL on the lift wouldn't surprise me.

Naw, naw, it wont be a fail. It's just the angle of the video.

Also, thank you VERY much Duke! The vid's great and finally shows the back end of Rockit which looks like it'll be a lot more fun that I thought.

Rockit ftw!

A new feature will be RFID-Tags worn by the operator like a wristwatch. This allowes clearing the vehicle by putting a hand on the train where a RFID-Reader is installed. I guess the people mover will be at both sides of the track? That means a lot of movement for the operator during theday?!

I meant how it will be interesting to try and get a group of people out of a train then another group in with at least one person in a wheelchair, in under 23 seconds. It sounds too quick for me, but maybe I just don't know my time stamps!

The dispatch interval may be 23 seconds, but that doesn't mean it will only spend 23 seconds in the station, because they two figures aren't directly linked.

The quickest explanation would be to compare with a car assembly line.

Eg a car factory here in Australia has a car coming off the line every 3 minutes, but that doesn't mean they only have 3 minutes to make a whole car.

On rides with continous loading (Eg Rapids Rides, People Mover, Mullholland Madness etc) the vehicles slow right down once they enter the station and all 'bunch together'.

The station is designed to be long enough, and the vehicles moving slowly enough, so that they take enough time to get through it.

Once they get to the end of the station they are free to speed up again (So the lift won't be as slow as we are seeing it)

To do a calculation, say you made a loading station 20m (66ft) long, with vehicles going through at 2 km/h (1.2 mph)

To have a 23 second dispatch interval the vehicles would be trailing each other with a spacing of about 13m (43ft)

But, passengers would still have 36 seconds to load in and out because thats how long it would take them to get through the station.

So you can see that if they wanted to give people more time to load, they could slow the vehicles down, or make the station longer.

I meant how it will be interesting to try and get a group of people out of a train then another group in with at least one person in a wheelchair, in under 23 seconds. It sounds too quick for me, but maybe I just don't know my time stamps!

The dispatch interval may be 23 seconds, but that doesn't mean it will only spend 23 seconds in the station, because they two figures aren't directly linked.

The quickest explanation would be to compare with a car assembly line.

Eg a car factory here in Australia has a car coming off the line every 3 minutes, but that doesn't mean they only have 3 minutes to make a whole car.

On rides with continous loading (Eg Rapids Rides, People Mover, Mullholland Madness etc) the vehicles slow right down once they enter the station and all 'bunch together'.

The station is designed to be long enough, and the vehicles moving slowly enough, so that they take enough time to get through it.

Once they get to the end of the station they are free to speed up again (So the lift won't be as slow as we are seeing it)

To do a calculation, say you made a loading station 20m (66ft) long, with vehicles going through at 2 km/h (1.2 mph)

To have a 23 second dispatch interval the vehicles would be trailing each other with a spacing of about 13m (43ft)

But, passengers would still have 36 seconds to load in and out because thats how long it would take them to get through the station.

So you can see that if they wanted to give people more time to load, they could slow the vehicles down, or make the station longer.

i guess i didn't make myself clear. when i read it the first time, i misunderstood it and thought they would get the train through in 23 seconds. ok, i thought wrong. and i do believe i dropped this in my last post.

MATH ALERT:lover:

23 seconds is really not a ridiculous loading expectation- the trains look pretty easy to step into, and assuming it's just a constant motion ignoring strict block sections in the station or a multi-subzone system (so trains are back to back) it doesn't have to move THAT fast. (X-car train is somewhere around 25-30ft long including minimal space between trains, so really only a little over 1ft/sec. or about 1mph) A realistic capacity number if they're really good about single riders and maxing out the blocks would be 1750/hr. Theoretical based on 23.0s dispatch is 1878/hr, but a lot of rides will run out of vehicles if they always hit their minimum interval and with the walkway system they'll probably keep a little breathing room.

The only thing that might take some figuring out is grouping people to fill everything, and Universal tends to take a much more signage-heavy, hands on approach to that than Disney so they've probably come up with something smart.

An RFID enable sounds pretty sweet, though there's no way that would ever fly in California. Really, I think a simple tandem load scheme (like USH Mummy) would work just as well or better with a lot less to worry about mechanically/electrically, but knowing Universal they'd probably staff 3-4 more positions just to do that, and those savings add up really fast even with several hundred thousand spent on a fancy moving walkway deal.

[/math]

SO excited to ride this next year!

^It's enough of a secret. That Picasa album went down pronto as soon as Screamscape posted the bit of information about the architectural models. While similar information and pictures live on in this thread and have continued to for a good while. We don't do anything illegal to gain our information and therefore it can stay up. We just capitalize on other people's mistakes.

^ RFID = Radio Frequency IDentification...

A People Mover is a mass transit system used to essentially move people. It basically consists of a track with vehicles propelled by drive tires. The vehicles are in constant motion and never stop.

A perfect example is the People Mover at DL and MK... The MK one is the only one currently operating under the name, Tomorrowland Transit Authority. People movers can be found as transit in major cities as well as airports. EPCOT was also originally planned to use WEDway People Movers as a main form of transportation within the downtown area.

EDIT: Added links

http://www.yesterland.com/peoplemover.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_mover

^It's enough of a secret. That Picasa album went down pronto as soon as Screamscape posted the bit of information about the architectural models. While similar information and pictures live on in this thread and have continued to for a good while. We don't do anything illegal to gain our information and therefore it can stay up. We just capitalize on other people's mistakes.

Every little picture I find mistakenly posted or found I normally save. Like those architectural designs and the American Scenic concept art for the ride. Just in case someone like Screamscape finds them too and the company takes it down.

^About the Peoplemover.. You are correct, however the one used for HRRR I imagine will be a different type of people mover. More like the way they load Haunted Mansion and Peter Pan at WDW, with a moving walkway that runs in tandem with the trains.