TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

I'm happy work has resumed on the lift. But I have one question about the ride (that I know no one here will be able to answer but will ask nonetheless lol). Why exactly is the evac staircase for the first MCBR not part of the structure? It looks so strange chilling all by itself away from the track and support structure of the ride.

Track supports (and for that matter everything else really) flex in wind, from loads applied by the coaster, and from braking forces. There is rarely enough movement to be easily detected, but that movements does exists. If this is the brake run I'm thinking of, it's pretty high up in the air which means is even more likely to deflect because of how big the supports are. The staircase is not made of the same size structural tubing so it can not take the same forces... and my argument just fell apart. It shouldn't matter because the main supports will absorb the forces, and the staircase is going to have wind deflection as well. The only possible benefit I see is to remove it from being subjected to the constant braking forces which are going to happen more regularly than strong winds.

I'll post this and perhaps it will inspire someone to logically finish the thought.

^^I understand the nature of steel frame construction (architecture school will do that lol) and I understand that there is constant movement (some of which is actually quite noticeable on some coasters such as Top Thrill Dragster, Wicked Twister, and even Diamondback's first hill) but there's no reason why the staircase couldn't be integrated into the brake run's support structure. It just looks so funny and adds to the already messy support system for the ride. This ride is the opposite of modern B&M coasters in terms of support structure lol. B&Ms always have minimal, yet large supports, whereas this ride has a vast amount of smaller supports. Very different indeed.

Update from today April 29, 2009

The track is COMPLETE!!!!!

The facade fly through minus some cosmetics is also nearly complete. Crews were really active today. I was amazed how much had been done since the last time I was here and that was only three days ago. On to the pics.

Great pics!!! I cant wait to see this thing!! I'm going to universal with my band on thursday and performing on saturday!! If any of you guys are going to be there that day keep a look out for my marching band! lol

Yes! I can't wait to see this puppy on Saturday night. It would be amazing if they would already be testing it by then but I highly doubt that.

Now that the track is complete, how long do you think it'll be before we see Rockit flying? Isn't there a giant Hollywood sign missing?

I would say we're a few weeks away from testing. The trains are still not on site right?

Plus there's some landscaping and theming to be added yet like the circles on the lift hill and the huge sign for the lift.. that sadly used to look a lot cooler on the first rendition!

It's great to see the track actually DONE.. I wonder what the issue was..

^ I think the plan to add Maverick's heartline roll was scrapped when Universal decided it was not feasable.

... and Maurer Sohne wasn't gutsy enough to incorporate an extra world's first element into the lift tower.

I don't believe you.

Still pissed about the heartline not going up. They chickened out.

That was kinda quick!

I don't know what's worse, no heartline on HRRRRRRRRR, Airbrushed VANta, or DCA not theming the line for the ferris wheel. 2009 sure sucks.

At least Six Flags doesn't charge for printing tickets at home.

I don't know what's worse, no heartline on HRRRRRRRRR, Airbrushed VANta, or DCA not theming the line for the ferris wheel. 2009 sure sucks.

At least Six Flags doesn't charge for printing tickets at home.

The heartline roll is there, you just have to look really carefully.

As for the completed product, that does look pretty awesome. Theming and steel latice around the lift should be going up soon I'm guessing. Thanks for sharing!

-Justin

I still want to know how they do an evac on a vertical lift, though.

Apparently they don't. I've heard the design was changed because Universal didn't like the idea of cars rolling back into the station (the original evac plan.) So what they do now is anyone's guess.

if the trains get stuck up at the top there is only one way down..Bungee jumping!!!!!...Thats the new element of the ride...It may take awhile for all the people to get off but its the only way..

If you bungee jump, aren't you still connected to the top? haha. Parachuting is more like it.

I still want to know how they do an evac on a vertical lift, though.

Apparently they don't. I've heard the design was changed because Universal didn't like the idea of cars rolling back into the station (the original evac plan.) So what they do now is anyone's guess.

Hell, Spider-Man is just at the other end of City Walk--let him handle any evacs.

^

I made this in about three hours. It's not perfect, but it was the best I could do in a short amount of time.

Now for some background info...

The ride was inspired by HR3 and was originally gonna have a straight piece of launch track for the lift hill. Then the discussion about incorporating a heartline roll into the track arose and I began to imagine a heartline roll element and decided to incorporate it into the lift hill. This is just a concept though and I'll probably make changes in the future.

Praise/contstructive criticism is greatly accepted.

...and if you want to see more, click the link in my sig. I plan on posting a new update later today.

XCar_Concept.thumb.jpg.316d5191015714f3263c2db09a4d02b9.jpg

X-Car coaster with heartline roll lift.

Cool artwork. I do this when I'm bored in meetings and such sometimes. Never gets this far though.

For criticism, I would say the curve to the heartline "lift" hill is ridiculously tight for how fast the car will have to go. On that note, you probably need more space for the cars to be straight for the launch.

My question is, how have you managed to average almost 10 posts a day since you joined?! Crazy.