TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

I recently received a survey invitation from Universal regarding the type of music to be used on the ride. Participants are asked to rate a selection of songs as to how well they would work on such a ride

Some of the songs proposed:

All I Wanna Do by Sheryl Corw

Stay Fly by Three Six Mafia

Jumpin Jumpin by Destiny's Child

Dirty Harry by Gorillaz

Let Me In by Young Buck

Devil Went Down To Georgia by Charlie Daniels Band

Temple Of Syrinx by Rush

Vicarious by Tool

Link to the survey: http://www.visitorsatisfaction.com/rockit

Unfortunately, Final Countdown was not a option

They also had Jay Z, Tupac, and Run DMC. There were others but I don't really know much about Hip Hop or Rap. I have taken the survey twice and there is a pretty wide selection. I was just happy to see some 80's Metal. Judas Priest-Another thing comin. Alice in Chains- Man in the box, both would be awesome if chosen. Take the survey, they let you comment on 50 songs or so. The second time taking the survey I had all new songs to choose from.

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect the name "Double Take" will be used throughout the enthusiast community, because so far this is the only coaster Maurer has installed the element onto. It might even be used in RCDB because of that. As for the other names, probably not.

I don't know how the Double Take will feel though, that climbing twist into the loop could be kinda painful...

I know Universal will do a good job with this ride, although I'm sure most enthusiasts will probably find that it doesn't quite measure up to X2 at SFMM (it could be a surprise big hit though!).

One question: I heard a rumor that people would be able to bring their iPods and use whatever music they had on there for use in their on-ride video if they decide to purchase one. Is this true? If so, that'd be AWESOME!!!! I'll probably compose a sort of X2-like compilation of songs for use in my onride video when I ride it.

Also, does this ride have any inversions? I don't think it does, but it's hard to tell from the blueprint photos, there could a heartline roll or something hidden in there. The "Treble Clef" looks like it could have a dive loop too.

I suspect the name "Double Take" will be used throughout the enthusiast community, because so far this is the only coaster Maurer has installed the element onto. It might even be used in RCDB because of that. As for the other names, probably not.

I don't know how the Double Take will feel though, that climbing twist into the loop could be kinda painful....

I recreated a version on nolimits and it was pretty tamed. It wasnt going super fast over it, as I assume rockit wouldnt either, but I didnt see any problem with it!

Jfrombaugh,

I have heard the same rumor about Peripheral devices and providing your own music, however, I think it was associated with the multi media X-car and not this ride. I can't imagine Universal would allow it considering what people would bring in.

As far as inversions go, the official text that was leaked by a person attending Grad Night (the same person who took pictures of the layout found on page 10 of this thread) described the Jump Cut as a spiraling negative G camelback. I am pretty sure that means inversion but can't be sure.

^Yeah, I guess you have a point. We can't very well have the 10-14 year olds that are the park's staple business hearing some Ludacris song coming from one of the editing computers after they get off the coaster.

"Spiralling negative G camelback"? Sounds like a Zero G Roll to me...but it could also be a Silver Bullet/Maverick esque overbank.

• 3 weeks later...

There was a quick update about the construction progress on HP land at IOA on OrlandoRocks. Scaffolding is coming down on one side of the large building and now the two dragons in front of the Dueling Dragons are gone...

www.orlandorocks.com/1a/ioa/islands/harrypotter/construction/1/HarryPotter-Construction.aspx

*Pictures are both from OrlandoRocks.

now the two dragons in front of the Dueling Dragons are gone...
That's very sad news. I was hoping they would be able to work them into the Harry Potter theme somehow. I guess there's still a chance they could return, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'll be heading over to the park this Wednesday to see for myself. I might as well ride DD a few times while I'm there.

I'm gonna have to go with TheHulk and Alpengeist04 on this one...I'm a Harry Potter fan too and I've had many visions of things like a Quidditch roller coaster and a Hogwarts dark ride fitting into a theme park like IOA very nicely, but...

Despite its failings I rather liked the original version of Dueling Dragons, the Fire vs Ice theme seemed very classic, as did the queue walk through with all the skeletons and Merlin's warnings. It seems to me like the decision to change it is really trying to fix something that's not broken, but I'm going to hold my judgement until I see the new version.

I just hope they don't make the same mistake that Disneyland Paris apparently made with Space Mountain Mission 2 and they put in some really good stuff to make up for what they take out...

WOW! I honestly didn't expect the dragons to come out at all. Hopefully they are just taking them out to not damage them, or maybe to repaint them and get them ready for the retheming. They may need them out of the area to continue their construction. As I have only been through the queue line a few times, and quite quickly at that. I did kinda stop to gaze at the dragons chaos along the way though. (ice here, burnt stuff there, crushed doorways...) I think that HP may not change the visuals too much as I think it fits already. If they took out some of the skulls and skeletons, and replaced it with more HP type stuff, that would be cool. Of course there are things that should be replaced, like the book for the cup, etc. It can definitely be done very simply, to fit in with HP though.

I can't believe they got rid of the statues. I have yet another reason to hate Harry Potter.

No matter how much I don't care for the whole HP concept (the stories not the retheming of the land) the Kuka-coaster whatever you want to call it ride is probably going to be amazing.

They trashed the dragons? Wow, I'm with ECZ, it's just another reason for me to hate Harry Potter. I love Dueling Dragons, and those statues were a part of it's, umm...greatness. Lol. But seriously, this whole Harry Potter thing has been pushing my buttons since day one.

dragonssmall.jpg.1247f9ab690161a61b37077fc25d4596.jpg

Again, another final pic of the DD statues.

dragonsagainsmall.jpg.e4cbf223b9b2fe0ab3fb240a81cdc1cd.jpg

I had to add my last photos of the DD statues as well. (The resturant is in the pic also)

I'm just still a little more than shocked by the removal of the Dragons. It's got to be one of the more iconic elements of ANY park...GONE.

I just hope whatever they replace it with will be equally as cool and I really, REALLY hope they know what they are doing with this project...

It's just seems sad to me that The Simpsons gets a re-hashed simulator from 20 years ago, but Harry Potter destroys one of the best looking themed areas ever to live in a theme park.

Kind of seems that it should have been the other way around...

--Robb

^Agreed. That area of the park was my favorite at Universal, and one of my favorite anywhere. Now I love HP and I am excited to see it, but I wish they could have got rid of the ugly ass comic section with Blondie, Popeye and that stuff, instead of the best area in the park.

Yeah, I agree. I'm hoping that they'll be replacing the dragons with something that looks cool, but really, couldn't they have left this alone? I don't see how it wouldn't have fit into the theme they're going for (though I know nothing about HP, so maybe there are not any dragons in the books and it wouldn't work).

I also agree that this is one of the best themed areas in any park anywhere, and it's sad to see it go away. Kind of sucks they don't have too much expansion room there, and could not have just added another land.

And I'm still waiting for them to either knock Mythos down or change it to a burger stand...

dt

Oh dear lordy! Not the dragons! They were awsome! I just really hope they replace it with something uber-spectacular for the new entrance. Is there any concept art out there for the new entrance or plans. Anything with a glimmer of hope for better things? Anyhow, I am actually welcoming this new Harry Potter theme. I think that if done well, it would really work and would look great. Fingers crossed!