TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

Escape from Gringotts is an Intamin/Universal collaboration.

Yeah, and Mummy is a Premier / Universal collaboration. They're still very similar ride concepts being a coaster and media combination. Mummy is more old school Universal with the actual physical sets while Gringott's is more Comcastic with screens everywhere.

I had no idea that it was. Even so, its built like an indoor coaster like Mummy but other then the first drop its not much of one at all. There is too much stop and go for my tastes. One thing I want to ask is I read somewhere that J.K. Rowling isn't a fan of the dueling dragons coasters. I was just wondering why?

Yeah, and Mummy is a Premier / Universal collaboration. They're still very similar ride concepts being a coaster and media combination. Mummy is more old school Universal with the actual physical sets while Gringott's is more Comcastic with screens everywhere.

"Comcastic." Love that.

How I love the nostolgic feel of the physical set. I wish they would go back to this more often. Just like movies, I hate when there is too much CGI. It is good for some shots but the puppets really bring some things to life. Jurassic Park (The movie) still feels real and timeless due to a great mix of both.

Dynamic Attractions did the design. Intamin a subcontractor to them.

One thing I want to ask is I read somewhere that J.K. Rowling isn't a fan of the dueling dragons coasters. I was just wondering why?

Because she's a dumb dumb dummy head.

It's never been confirmed whether or not she is a fan of the ride (lots of rumors stating she doesn't), but assuming she doesn't...I would guess that is based on the fact she doesn't feel that the ride fits well in the Potterverse she created.

Edited by Jew

I can see Universal going away from roller coasters in general though. Judging by the 3 days I was there the shortest wait times were for the coasters. If anything I would have thought Dueling Dragons would have the biggest line-up of the coasters as its in one of the busiest sections of the park.

With two tracks and two loading stations, Dragons also has the highest capacity of any of the coasters there, assuming both sides are running with 2 or more trains.

It just depends on what kind of experience the park is looking to bring. Coasters are fun, but can also be intimidating to younger/less adventurous guests and much more difficult to create an immersive theme with than any version of dark ride. Universal wants to put their IP's center stage so it's not surprising to see them gravitate more towards dark rides. I find the best parks have a healthy balance of all sorts of different rides, as much as their general financial position will allow.

Ok, crazy idea, but what if Universal took Dueling Dragons and relocated it to a potential future park built on the land they just bought? It'd be one way of giving the Wizarding World some more room for future attractions, yet the ride would still be owned and operated by them.

Far fetched and a waste of money? Most likely. It depends on if they still want it that badly. I'm just thinking out loud here since I have heard the rumor of Dragon's removal a couple of times.

I really doubt that Universal is planning on removing it. There's no legitimate reason to do so. J.K. Rowling doesn't actually have a ferocious desire to tear down Dragon Challenge or take joy in making coaster enthusiasts cry like some people make it seem. And even if she did, her influence wasn't strong enough for them to tear it down in the first place. It's also a very reliable ride with a great capacity (which explains the short wait times compared to the other Potter rides). Yes, it no longer duels which lessens the experience for some, but they are still 2 great individual coasters that are well received by guests.

One pillar in Universal's strategy is that it has these thrilling coasters to set it apart from Disney (Don't get me wrong, I love me some Rock n' Rollercoaster but that doesn't come close to Hulk or Dueling Dragons). If they wanted to move away from making roller coasters they wouldn't be investing millions into this Hulk reconstruction (which has gained more media attention than the new Kong ride). My hope is for the land they just acquired to be a fully fledged Nintendo Land (with a coaster!), but only time will tell.

I've been at Universal Orlando this week and I've noticed that Hulk is coming back together rapidly. What I didn't notice from the pictures posted already is that there is a small army of construction workers working simultaneously in the lagoon, on the back half of the ride, and in the tunnel (I just saw them there for the first time today). There hasn't been any substantial progress on the track since yesterday when they added another section to end of the MCBR but the supports are going up quickly.

Here is a quick picture of the workers in the tunnel:

20160205_203645851_iOS.thumb.jpg.d0bdc508900f0b5f0d56bc0399ea9d9d.jpg

I was at Universal today...and it is just absolutely insane the amount of construction.

At the Universal Park

-Jimmy Fallon

-Fast & Furious

-The Roboasis by MIB (something is happening to it because it is gone!)

-Facade Enhancements in Certain Areas

At Islands of Adventure

-Hulk

-King Kong

In General

-Sapphire Falls Hotel

-Volcano Bay Water Park

From a distance...Universal looks like the Capital of Cranes!!! So much construction!!!

^Her influence may have grown now that Potter has proven itself to be the anchor property for all of the parks owned by Universal...

Executives dictate to the parks and creative more than any other time in history what goes and what stays. That makes the futures of all these parks increasingly predictable. None of the people that talk (and plenty do) say anything about Dragons heading off to the scrap heap.

Hello all! Long time user, very rare poster. A friend and I are going down to Florida for Okeechobee Music Festival in early March and are thinking of trying to hit up Universal. We are able to go because Okeechobee has a cool program where you can work for two days after the festival and pick up a free ticket. We were wondering if Universal has a program anywhere similar to this or if any of you wonderful people have any laborious task you don't want to bother yourself with that two strapping young men could do in exchange for free tickets to Universal for just one day. This is pretty much the only opportunity we would get to make it to the park and would love help from any of you. Thank you very much!

Hello all! Long time user, very rare poster. A friend and I are going down to Florida for Okeechobee Music Festival in early March and are thinking of trying to hit up Universal. We are able to go because Okeechobee has a cool program where you can work for two days after the festival and pick up a free ticket. We were wondering if Universal has a program anywhere similar to this or if any of you wonderful people have any laborious task you don't want to bother yourself with that two strapping young men could do in exchange for free tickets to Universal for just one day. This is pretty much the only opportunity we would get to make it to the park and would love help from any of you. Thank you very much!

if any of you wonderful people have any laborious task you don't want to bother yourself with that two strapping young men could do in exchange for free tickets to Universal for just one day.

I'm sure someone at the parliament house has a task that'll pay kinda good!

Orlando is already awash in cheap labor, so...uh...backpage?