TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 624 - New Epic Universe details, including Isle of Berk!

I would have to imagine that a good amount of slides from Wet N Wild will be coming to Volcano Bay. Especially the newer ProSlide stuff they've put in over the last ten years. I mean, if the park is closing Dec 31st, 2016 and the Volcano Bay isn't opening until 2017, that just seems to make a lot of sense to me to bring those slides over.

I've heard some chatter to that extent. Which is fine. Scrapping them all would be foolhardy. Also selling them might not be wise either. Cedar Fair inadvertently created their competition in Kansas City when they decided to start Geagua's water park from scratch.

Should be interesting to see how this all pans out. I have to be honest, though, I won't miss Wet N Wild. We still haven't even gone there once since we moved to Orlando.

I still haven't been. I guess next year is a good time to put it on the schedule.

I'm sure Schlitterbahn wouldn't mind picking up a few more slides like they've done from Wet-N-Wild in the past. That time frame would give them enough time to ramp down the operation, move what they need to, transfer and re-train the staff.

Which leaves the question, what do they do with a semi-prime piece of land. Resort, condos, tourist traps?

I'm sure Schlitterbahn wouldn't mind picking up a few more slides like they've done from Wet-N-Wild in the past. That time frame would give them enough time to ramp down the operation, move what they need to, transfer and re-train the staff.

Which leaves the question, what do they do with a semi-prime piece of land. Resort, condos, tourist traps?

Probably the first listed, from what I've heard.

I won't miss Wet N Wild at all! Bring on Volcano Bay!

Wet N Wild was good and all but it just didn't match up to Disney's waterparks or Aquatica. Some of their slides are really good though. I hope to see some of them transfer to Volcano Bay!

I'm sure there will be hotels built to replace Wet N Wild. Oh well I guess...

CAN'T WAIT UNTIL 2017!

I always really enjoyed Wet N Wild and thought it had one of the better slide collections out there, maybe the best in Orlando. It is certianly an "old water park" in an increasingly new town, so it's no surprise to see it finally close.

It will be intersting to see which slides are re-purposed for Volcano Bay and what Universal ends up doing with that land.

I hope that they do something else with the site quickly - isn't that right smack in the middle of a bunch of streets where everyone can see it?

Never been there, but it doesn't sound like I'm missing anything amazing. It will be interesting to see where the slides go, but like Robb, I'm betting the new water park in Orlando.

Black Hole always felt like one of the better tube slides out there for some reason, and I always loved the slides at the front of the park that seemed like they used to use a single person tube but changed over a mat instead, those were a bit weird.

Der Stuka was always pretty awesome in it's day, probably my favorite drop slide.

I would say resorts based on this article from 16 months ago.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1431590#p1431590

I wonder if there are any plans to eventually install some kind of transport system from that plot of land to the CityWalk area. Seems like a monorail of some sort over the interstate is feasible at least, not saying it will be cheap but I'm sure it could be done, and from the sound of things a common transport system connecting City Walk, the Parks, the resorts, and Volcano Bay would be a nice addition to that resort property long term.

Is it just me, or could we possibly be looking at Universal's third gate? Maybe that Nintendo Theme Park since they bought rights? Guess we'll see.

^Wet 'n Wild is approximately 51 acres. While an actual theme park could take its place in theory, that isn't a lot of land to work with, especially when considering the notion of planning with expansion in mind. The plot is landlocked by Universal Boulevard, Major Boulevard and International Drive, so acquiring land and integrating it wouldn't be easy...

I think additional resorts and an extension of CityWalk are far more probable options for this land.

Is it just me, or could we possibly be looking at Universal's third gate? Maybe that Nintendo Theme Park since they bought rights? Guess we'll see.

I am certianly not the target market for Nintendo, don't get me wrong I've played plenty of their games and know most of the franchises, but is there enough demand in America for a stand alone Nintendo Park? I think it will work great as a section of an existing park but not sure how well it would go over as a stand alone property. In Japan it's different story, but in America not sure how that would work. (agian I may be way off here).

I've only been to Wet N Wild once, well, twice if I count the one in Hawaii. But anyways, I liked the park. If they transfer over the slides to Volcano Bay then I'm sure it won't be missed. Wet N Wild had some really cool slides. Looking forward to Volcano Bay.

I am certianly not the target market for Nintendo, don't get me wrong I've played plenty of their games and know most of the franchises, but is there enough demand in America for a stand alone Nintendo Park? I think it will work great as a section of an existing park but not sure how well it would go over as a stand alone property. In Japan it's different story, but in America not sure how that would work. (agian I may be way off here).

I agree--I think that Nintendo will work well as part of an existing park, and a major Nintendo-themed major attraction would do well. Not sure it would "sell" as a standalone park in the U.S.

Then again, I wouldn't be such a park's primary audience.

Edited by cfc

It's gonna be interesting to see how this unfolds! I can see them reusing a lot of the slides if they are going with a more traditional style highly themed water park.

I can also see a scenario of them doing something really unique with the new park theming wise like Blizzard Beach, which requires all new custom made slides, and selling the wet'n'wild slides.