TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 624 - New Epic Universe details, including Isle of Berk!

No one is saying that there isn't likely a safety issue at play. The question is this - are metal detectors really the best possible solution to this in terms of both guest satisfaction and safety? Let us say for a moment that the core issue with RRR is that things fall out of people's pocket on the lift hill and into the queue area and station. Perhaps then a better fix would be to, just throwing this out there, build a roof or perhaps a tough nylon covering over the area to prevent those falling items from causing any harm to people below? Or you could do what Disney has done on multi-inversion coasters and put in zippered or velcro pockets in the seat back where people can place loose articles. The same is true for Hulk and the zero-g roll. A net already exists. If that is insufficent, perhaps construct something else in place of the netting and use the pockets there. Metal detectors have a negative connotation regarding personal safety, which is precisely why Universal is not putting them at the front gate instead.

Don't get me wrong, I get what you're saying. My point is that Universal isn't full of idiots managing it. If they decided that a net or a roof/awning would fix the issue, don't you think they would have done it? I don't see Universal adding metal detectors or other things as a first-step solution. I also don't think the Disney argument is appropriate when it comes to this situation as RnRC doesn't enter guest areas as spacious as RRR or Hulk.

I'm also not suggesting that metal detectors are the best possible solution.

Some of you are acting like Universal is deliberately doing this to piss off their guests. Also, for those of you who are hopeful this signify Dragons will duel again, remember that shoes may be considered a potential loose article on that ride. Especially dueling the loop.

You're right, shoes can come loose. A button down shirt might too. Basketball tearaways also. Ban clothes. On second thought, what if you have a pre op transexual on board with some unattached "equipment"? Perhaps we should at least mandate boxer briefs. Boxers, which have buttons, clearly pose some degree of risk....

If anything can become a projectile, and a guest was hurt by a projectile on the ride, why would the park ever risk legal action by dueling the attraction again?

Edited by Inukaza

Don't get me wrong, I get what you're saying. My point is that Universal isn't full of idiots managing it. If they decided that a net or a roof/awning would fix the issue, don't you think they would have done it?

They may look at metal detectors, additional security, and increased use of lockers as a solution that has the potential to generate revenue vs. shutting the ride down for a couple weeks and redoing the entrance way or station, which will have no such potential. I don't know who has the ear of management more in this situation - creative or security/risk management. To say with certainty that "they would do it if it made sense" is overly simplistic. There's been tons of examples of things people suggest should be changed about park operations that may even be stubbornly kept to for years before changes are made.

I don't see Universal adding metal detectors or other things as a first-step solution. I also don't think the Disney argument is appropriate when it comes to this situation as RnRC doesn't enter guest areas as spacious as RRR or Hulk.

They certainly aren't trying it as to prove it ineffective. I just point at Disney as the industry leader, and even with rides like California Screamin' (definitely passes over guests!) there has never been an attempt made to put metal detectors out there at ride entry. Most large regional theme parks in the United States have this theoretical problem, and none of them feature metal detectors at the entrance to the ride EXCEPT Morey's and the Great Nor'Easter.

If anything can become a projectile, and a guest was hurt by a projectile on the ride, why would the park ever risk legal action by dueling the attraction again?

Think about how ridiculous this sounds for a moment in the greater scheme of the theme park industry. Anyone can get hurt on any rides given conditions set outside the park's control. What does it tell you about Universal's risk mitigation strategy that they won't run a dueling coaster because of the potential of injury to riders, but Cedar Fair, Parque Reunidos, Six Flags, and Hersheypark all operate racing/dueling coasters in spite of having far smaller budgets?

What does it tell you about Universal's risk mitigation strategy that they won't run a dueling coaster because of the potential of injury to riders, but Cedar Fair, Parque Reunidos, Six Flags, and Hersheypark all operate racing/dueling coasters in spite of having far smaller budgets?

You can almost even add Disney to that list. Think about Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom. There are 13 trains at any one time zipping around the tight turns over and under each other on that track with riders that are allowed to carry pretty much anything they want to on that ride.

You can almost even add Disney to that list. Think about Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom. There are 13 trains at any one time zipping around the tight turns over and under each other on that track with riders that are allowed to carry pretty much anything they want to on that ride.

13!? Whoa, I never knew Space Mountain ran that many trains. Well I guess it does make sense as the trains are quite short and there are 2 tracks.

What does it tell you about Universal's risk mitigation strategy that they won't run a dueling coaster because of the potential of injury to riders, but Cedar Fair, Parque Reunidos, Six Flags, and Hersheypark all operate racing/dueling coasters in spite of having far smaller budgets?

Very true. Space Mountain is such a great ride though!

Soooooo aside from the nonsensical metal detectors, any news on Kong?

Kong has rock-work being built and going in all around the show building now, which is almost fully closed off and almost fully built. Don't know what's going on inside though.

Volcano Bay has also taken shape, the big Volcano looks like a city dump where they've built up the land and keep adding to it.

Hello, Going to Universal during spring break (in parks 4/9-4/11), yes, I know, horrible idea, nevertheless, tickets, air fare, etc all bought.

I usually plan things to the nth degree, but with the crowds they way I think they will be, planning order of attractions may not be for me on this trip.

I would appreciate any suggestions or tips from those more experienced.

A major attraction for us is both Harry Potter areas and I have purchased park to park tickets.

My plan is to go to either Hogsmeade or Diagon Alley first thing on the first day, and then the other on the 2nd day. As we are not staying on site, we will not get in early, but it is what it is. We will then stay in that HP area until we have done everything and seen everything for as long as it takes. Repeat for the other HP area the next day.

I have bought unlimited express passes for Saturday 4/11 to make sure we get in everything else.

I would REALLY appreciate any feedback/tips/changes/suggestions on my plan.

Spending some dough on this so I want to make the most of it.

Thanks.

Oh and I will be packing my handy dandy zipper pocket shorts for the trip. Every coaster nerd needs zipper pocket shorts.

Ken

I was at the parks last week and it was very busy, probably similar crowds to what you will see. Something to note, even though it says the park opens at 9am we were already in diagon alley in line for Gringotts at 8:30 with 0 wait, so I would try to get there 30 minutes before the posted opening time. After seeing Diagon alley I would recommend doing transformers as the line gets long. With express pass on the Saturday you will have no problems seeing everything. All the water rides have long waits after noon so I would do them early in the day or after 5. Hope this helps

They both open early every day to resort guests. The best thing to do at opening far and away are Despicable Me and Rip Ride Rockit. These two have very short-no waits at opening and very long waits later in the day. However, since armed with unlimited express for that other day, you could go straight to the HP lands in the mornings which don't have express available. Not a bad decision.

Hulk, Spiderman, Water rides in the afternoon, and All three rides in Hogsmeade are the long waits in IOA.

Transformers, Despicable, Rockit, Gringott's, and then Simpsons and possibly ET or Mummy are the long waits at Studios.

Best places to eat: Mythos, Harry Potter Restaurants on either side, or in Citywalk. Simpsons area also has a decent variety (and the chicken and waffle sandwich) but service can be hit or very very miss. Best Show is Horror Make-Up, but Animal Actors and Fear Factor can be fun. Sindbad is absolutely awful. The Band Perry is also playing Saturday the Eleventh with the family-friendly Mardis Gras Parade. If you camp out for the parade near the Twister gift shop exit, you can usually get a great spot for the concert on the stage behind you after the floats go by. Enjoy your Vacay!

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings. Long time lurker, first time poster. I felt compelled to register and post after a recent trip to Universal/Islands. We (me, wife, 3 boys) were thoroughly impressed with the whole operation. This includes hotels, friendly staff, food, ability to get around, rides, etc. We went during spring break but the crowds were extremely manageable.

We stayed on site and you just can't get any more efficient than being able to walk to the park in under 10 minutes. We stayed at the Hard Rock, can't beat it. And the express pass system is awesome. I would pay double for an express pass if asked. It made our trip.

My only complaint, I'm surprised my ticket, room key, and express pass were three different items. Extremely inefficient. I have to believe they are working on streamlining that.

We split our trip between Disney and Universal. I'm not a Disney hater, but I left unsatisfied. There were many rides we never got to experience because the lines were too long or the fast passes were gone. While at Universal, we got to do everything (I know, 2 parks vs 4 parks). I just have a problem spending that kind of money and only getting to ride space mountain once, for example. But the service at Disney was excellent, as expected.

Metal detectors are now at Dragon Challenge and Hulk in IOA. If these metal detectors allow Dragon Challenge to duel again, I'm totally okay with waiting a few more minutes due to a metal detector. I know it's a long shot for them to duel the rides once more, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Metal detectors are now at Dragon Challenge and Hulk in IOA. If these metal detectors allow Dragon Challenge to duel again, I'm totally okay with waiting a few more minutes due to a metal detector. I know it's a long shot for them to duel the rides once more, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Dragons have no reason to have them unless that's what they're gonna try to do. It has no close encounters with queue or any people. It's completely in its own pit.

I'm going to the park tomorrow and have a few questions. Is the Hulk really that bad of a headbanger? I rode it four years ago and thought it was pretty smooth. Also, I know there will be spring break crowds but do Fridays bring in more crowds? Thanks

I'm going to the park tomorrow and have a few questions. Is the Hulk really that bad of a headbanger? I rode it four years ago and thought it was pretty smooth. Also, I know there will be spring break crowds but do Fridays bring in more crowds? Thanks

I went in February. It was snappy and a little rough but not bad.

Hulk and Kumba are the same when it comes to smoothness. I can't stand when people bash on the Hulk but not Kumba. Both of these coasters are some of the best in Florida, but they do have a rattle. Neither of them are headbangers though, so don't worry. You'll want to re-ride!

The smoothest B&M at the park is Dueling Dragons Fire and in my opinion, the best.

Add Dragon Khan to that list too, all three seem similar in terms of roughness. They're ferocious in parts, but for me it isn't headbangy rough. I don't know if it's my size (I'm really petite), have a high pain threshold or if a lot of people are wimps, but I do find a lot of coasters absolutely fine in terms of roughness that do get complained about (both here and elsewhere). I think 'rough' is a relative term though and now coasters have become smoother, people's tolerances are lower.

Hulk and Kumba are the same when it comes to smoothness. I can't stand when people bash on the Hulk but not Kumba. Both of these coasters are some of the best in Florida, but they do have a rattle. Neither of them are headbangers though, so don't worry. You'll want to re-ride!

The smoothest B&M at the park is Dueling Dragons Fire and in my opinion, the best.

Hulk, much like its namesake, can be a bit temperamental. I've had great rides and lousy rides on that coaster (Kumba is more consistently good).