TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

I can't wait to see the impact this ride has on next years Mitch Hawker poll. It's absolutely not in the spirit of the poll to even include this but if it's on the ballot you kind of have to. In that case I could see this being considered a top 10 steel coaster even though that sounds completely ridiculous.

^While this ride appears to be one of the best dark rides around, as a coaster, I'd say it's not much more exciting than your typical Arrow Mine Train (at best). To me, this is much more a dark ride with some coaster like elements (like Black Diamond at Knoebels) rather than a coaster with some dark ride like elements (like Verbolten at Busch Gardens). But, then again, that's just my opinion on the matter.

I can't wait to see the impact this ride has on next years Mitch Hawker poll. It's absolutely not in the spirit of the poll to even include this but if it's on the ballot you kind of have to. In that case I could see this being considered a top 10 steel coaster even though that sounds completely ridiculous.

I'd have to think that most people who vote in the poll would probably lt realize that it's mostly a dark ride than a coaster, and while they would rank it on their coaster lists, I doubt it would be ranked among the top roller coasters in the world. If there was a top dark ride list, that might be a different story, though.

http://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/the-purge/

Commencing at the siren, any and all crime, including murder, will be legal for 12 continuous hours…

Hearing the sirens and that broadcast just sends chills down my spine.

Hi, HHN fans. I’m Lora Wallace, and I’m the Show Director for the street experiences at Halloween Horror Nights. I’m excited to reveal to you our second street experience that will be taking over part of Universal Studios. Prepare yourself as The Purge: Anarchy descends upon Halloween Horror Nights 24 in a new, terrifying scare zone.

We were intrigued by the idea of bringing The Purge to our event when we heard about the new film. When we received the script for The Purge: Anarchy, we were immediately sold on the idea. In the film, citizens are acting on their annual right to “Purge” and turning their city into a place of complete chaos and destruction. We instantly knew that our New York backlot provided the architecture and expansive nature needed to make this a reality.

We’re actually going to be bringing a combination of both the first movie and the new movie to life in this scare zone, so you’ll be met face-to-face with the iconic masked characters from both films. You’ll find yourself in the middle of the turmoil and chaos of The Purge taking place.

Everyday citizens will be transformed into violent psychopaths, chainsaw wielding paramilitary men and an elegant women ready to auction off the unsuspecting during this period of government-sanctioned lawlessness. But be careful… for you might find yourself becoming the target of those looking to Purge.

Now, prepare yourself for The Purge and Halloween Horror Nights 24 by seeing The Purge: Anarchy, now in theaters.

image.thumb.jpg.ec9947731525692ffaa9a477a5796186.jpg

http://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/face-off-halloween-horror-nights-24/

That’s right, fans—in just about nine weeks, Halloween Horror Nights will be back taking over the streets of Universal Studios Florida. And, tonight, as another sneak-peek at Halloween Horror Nights 24, we are revealing the first scare zone.

For six seasons now, you’ve seen the most talented up-and-coming makeup artists create gruesome and fantastical characters on Syfy’s hit television series Face Off. And now the most nightmarish creatures they have created will surround you in this year’s Face Off Scare Zone.

This new scare zone will feature ten different character creations inspired by the Syfy hit show, including a look designed by Season 5 Face Off winner, and Universal Orlando make-up artist, Laura Tyler.

The horrifying characters will inhabit five immersive areas within the scare zone, from eerie scarecrows that go to great lengths to protect a spine-chilling farmland to ghoulish brutes that haunt dilapidated castle ruins.

Not only will the scare zone showcase creations from past seasons, the winning look from Season 7, which premieres on Syfy on July 22, will be featured.

So, as you prep for this year’s horror and mayhem, make sure to watch the video below and tune in next week to the Season 7 premiere of Face Off.

And, of course, mark your calendar for Halloween Horror Nights 24, running select nights from September 19 – November 1 at Universal Studios Florida.

http://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/from-dusk-till-dawn-halloween-horror-nights/

That’s right, Halloween Horror Nights fans. The second house for Halloween Horror Nights 24 has been revealed. And some of you may recognize these deadly creatures…

From cult horror film to breakthrough television series on El Rey Network, Robert Rodriguez’s From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series will be taking a bite out of Halloween Horror Nights 24 in an all-new haunted house.

You’ll step into the sinister nightclub located above ancient cursed ruins where serpent-like creatures called Culebras thirst for your blood. And if that’s not enough, you’ll have to try and escape from the grasps of the irresistible Queen Vampire herself, Santanico Pandemonium.

Check out the video above with Robert Rodriguez and the From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series cast to hear more about what you’ll be facing in this bone-chilling house.

image.jpg.03108b17ca72adfbe222e915c812beb6.jpg

image.jpg.58d4fbda7bcbdd69ea479b6048c83ad0.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

I won't be counting the new ride as a credit. But it is a fantastic new dark ride. Both stations were running today. The lines moves quite fast when that happens. Unfortunately the ride broke down at least three times while I was waiting. I did the full queue, which is highly recommended for your first ride. The wait was just over two hours and 15min. It would have been 90 if it did not break down. I went into the new area about 1 PM. There was no wait to get into the new land.

image.thumb.jpg.f4723ed2200dd4965a10a55e64799a14.jpg

Much better than 7 hours.

image.thumb.jpg.de790533fc1dae9366cbe0170e736774.jpg

The ride is very cool, but it is certainly on the mild side.

image.thumb.jpg.e573de3e6ff17e45deabdb466ed874f1.jpg

This only took about 30 mins to get through.

^Wow! There was no wait to get into Diagon Alley at 1PM? It seems as though that crowds are leveling out now. One thing to note though is that FL Residents and Power Passholders are blocked through August 14th.

Also, I got to ride it when both stations were running too and there were no breakdowns until the second to last scene of the ride when we didn't do the final launch or whatever happens there.

The report for my FANTASTIC trip to Orlando is coming soon . . . as soon as I get a couple more days of sleep recovery . . . but I can tell you, my family went to the Magic Kingdom 3 days, Animal Kingdom 1 day, Downtown Disney, CityWalk and BOTH Universal Parks in 1 day with unlimited fastpasses, well worth the bit of extra money for sure, but for now . . . need . . . more . . . sleep . . . zzzzz . . .

I won't be counting the new ride as a credit. But it is a fantastic new dark ride. Both stations were running today. The lines moves quite fast when that happens. Unfortunately the ride broke down at least three times while I was waiting. I did the full queue, which is highly recommended for your first ride. The wait was just over two hours and 15min. It would have been 90 if it did not break down. I went into the new area about 1 PM. There was no wait to get into the new land.

I find this very interesting. I'm hearing reports that Diagon Alley is not as crowded (other then the ride) as expected. And seeing that the ride is already down to a 90 minute wait in the middle of the day with no issue getting into the area is not what I expected either.

Like I said... "interesting..."

Oh, and I'm with you in not counting Gringott's as a "credit." I think it has some coaster "moments", but IMO it's a "dark ride" not a "roller coaster."

Edited by robbalvey

I find this very interesting. I'm hearing reports that Diagon Alley is not as crowded (other then the ride) as expected. And seeing that the ride is already down to a 90 minute wait in the middle of the day with no issue getting into the area is not what I expected either.

Like I said... "interesting..."

Oh, and I'm with you in not counting Gringott's as a "credit." I think it has some coaster "moments", but IMO it's a "dark ride" not a "roller coaster."

Personally I would count it. There are kiddie coasters counted as credits which are shorter as coasters than the relatively minimal coaster sections of Gringotts. For me what sways it is that it the coaster portion is very much coaster like, as opposed to other equally dubious 'blurred boundary' credits. Just my opinion though.

Universal definitely planned it out better by blocking FL Residents and Power APs until August 15th. It really helps with the crowds. Also, Hogwarts was a walk on for me when I went on the Saturday it first opened. Also I count Escape from Gringotts. It has a roller coaster section and again even though it is short...people count the smallest kiddie coasters as a credit.

It has a roller coaster section and again even though it is short...people count the smallest kiddie coasters as a credit.

I hate this argument because it's so dumb. So if I wheeled you down my driveway in a shopping cart and called it a "roller coaster" would you count it? Of course not.

Do you count Test Track as a "powered coaster?" No, of course not.

A "kiddie coaster" is 100% meant to be a "roller coaster" and it's obviously a roller coaster just by what it's called and what it does. And most kiddie coasters *feel* like a roller coaster, just smaller than adult roller coasters.

I personally don't count Gringotts because to me it doesn't *feel* like a roller coaster. Sure, there is that one section where it does a drop, but so does Splash Mountain, and I don't count that either.

IMO, Gringotts is by far more of a "dark ride." And there is NOTHING WRONG with that, but it is more of a dark ride that does some "coaster stuff" than it is a roller coaster. For all the same reasons why I don't count a dark ride like the one below as a coaster, even though it has a "coaster section"

[vine]

[/vine] Edited by robbalvey

I'm very interested to see park attendance numbers this year as I wouldn't have expected the crowds to die down this quickly.

It seems like by all accounts numbers are way down this year throughout the industry. While I of course expect Universal's attendance to jump I wonder if it's going to have the jump they expected given the magnitude of this investment (not that we'll ever know their projected numbers but we can probably guess). I know when they were building this new land people were concerned about the lines for the train and by all accounts the lines for that have been really minimal.

I have just awoken from a week long sleep, back from my FANTASTIC trip to Orlando. Anyone who lives in the Orlando area should be very proud of the hospitality that was shown to me and my family. Thank you very much Orlando! Now, I thought about posting a traditional trip report, but I truly think that I might crash this site as I could write for days about every amazing detail, so, I thought it would be cool if some of you were interested in a Canadian perseptive on my Universal and Disney experiences, you could ask me, like as if you were interviewing me. You could ask me about Transformers, food that I ate, Universal unlimited fast pass vs Disney fast pass, that sort of thing . . . I will watch this site if any of you are interested . . .

With judging lines, it should be important to note that FL Resident Power Pass Holders have been blocked out until today. Could have a significant impact as this is the first weekend they have access to Diagon Alley.

Actually they are still blocked out for another two weeks out of Uni.

image.thumb.jpg.db8755b97a4cdc656f52adcdc8dcf727.jpg

With judging lines, it should be important to note that FL Resident Power Pass Holders have been blocked out until today. Could have a significant impact as this is the first weekend they have access to Diagon Alley.

Actually they are still blocked out for another two weeks out of Uni.

Universal just announced power passes aren't blocked out as of today 2 weeks early.