TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

People complain because they feel entitled.

If you look at the new pricing, though, and compare Universal to Disney, it makes for an interesting topic. We like to take long weekends and go places, Universal being one of them. Primarily because the 2 day 2-park passes were reasonable at $167. Disney 2 day 2-park passes are $210. That 25% difference or so was the bulk of the rest of our trip budget so Universal would get our money. Jumping to $195 for that 2-day pass seems steep to me and I'm curious to see how it will pan out for Universal. When we have a long weekend and go to Orlando, we're more inclined to head over to Disney now that pricing is less of the deciding factor.

My family and I both love Universal and Disney so either way is a win for us.

When people go to Orlando they're generally on vacation and they're willing to pay more for things.

We went a few weeks ago for the first time and had no problem shelling out the money for park hopper tickets with the unlimited express pass for the same reason we didn't have a problem shelling out over $50 each for 2 park combo fun-spot tickets plus tickets for the Skycoaster in their Kissimmee park along with a video and a T shirts.

We also went to Busch Gardens and Sea World and while the tickets were cheap (we got the 2 park $99 2-day combo) we upgraded for special experiences, souvenirs, ponchos for water rides since it was cold and Quick Queue tickets at Busch Gardens.

We're not made of money or anything, but when you go to Orlando you're usually on vacation and you don't mind spending extra money because you budget for it ahead of time and save up for months or even years. If this were a regional park it would be a bigger deal, but it's a resort destination.

Online ticket prices for a 2 day park to park ticket with the 3rd day free is still $146.99 (Still includes a coupon book with 4 buy one get one free alcohol coupons!). The tickets must be used by May 22nd (so before Summer and Potterland 2.0). I would expect the price to change very soon. Screamscape thinks that the change will occur on March 4th.

These price increases make me really happy that I went to the park in December!

Pay attention to the IOA lagoon. If what I have heard is correct there will be something pretty cool coming in the future

I realize you're young and new to this forum, but there is probably something you should know...

A lot... and I mean a LOT of us here are actually in the industry and have a lot of stuff we "know but can't share." We usually aren't impressed (if fact it comes off as annoying) when someone makes a "I know something but I'm not allowed to say" post.

And our rule of thumb is "Those who know, don't tell, and those who tell, probably don't really know."

So keep that in mind for future posts.

--Robb

Why is this even a debate? Theme parks are a luxury. Universal and Disney will charge as much as people are willing to pay. There's no story or debate to be bad.

I'm not complaining. I just renewed a UO AP today, no blackout dates, for $160. Interesting that it wasn't more. I'll pass through Orlando 2-3 times over the next year. I'll easily get my money's worth.

We're not made of money or anything, but when you go to Orlando you're usually on vacation and you don't mind spending extra money because you budget for it ahead of time and save up for months or even years. If this were a regional park it would be a bigger deal, but it's a resort destination.

Completely agree with this. As someone planning a trip to both sets of parks later in the year, tickets make up less than 10% of my overall budget after airfares, hotels, car rental, food and so on. The increase was no surprise, will have no impact on my plans, and I imagine this would be the same for most visitors, especially those from overseas.

Just looking at those aerial photos - Diagon Alley looks amazing! Can't wait to check it out.

Why is this even a debate? Theme parks are a luxury. Universal and Disney will charge as much as people are willing to pay. There's no story or debate to be bad.

I'm not complaining. I just renewed a UO AP today, no blackout dates, for $160. Interesting that it wasn't more. I'll pass through Orlando 2-3 times over the next year. I'll easily get my money's worth.

Yeah, I'm not complaining either so I hope it didn't appear that way. Thanks for the reminder on the AP for UO. I often look at those but I don't know why I never even considered one for UO. I might have to get one of those this year as it might work out to a better value for what we're planning.

Was at the parks yesterday, got to IOA around 1PM. When I got there, Hulk wasn't running. The water below the cobra roll/loop was drained, and there was a large cherry-picker sitting under the cobra roll. I tried to take a picture, but an employee ran up to me saying, "Sir, no pictures!" When I left the cherry picker was gone and they were cycling empty trains. Anybody know what might have been going on?

This sounds so strange. It's a bit weird to me that the employee would run up to you to tell you to not take a picture! But then again, Disney doesn't allow backstage photos because it ruins the "magic" of the parks. I'd imagine in this situation though that it would be somewhat difficult to enforce no picture-taking when it's an area that's so visible to guests! But maybe there was some debris in the cobra roll they needed to remove?

There's apparently a bomb threat going on in the Kong parking structure. One of my FB friends is posting on his experience as he happened to be parked on the level where the threat is going on. He's not able to go back to his car as the bomb squad has blocked acces to the level of the structure. Everyone who was parked on the closed off area have had to make arrangements with a taxi. He posted a picture on my FB and the line is incredibly long to have a taxi. It's turning out to be terrible inconvenience for the guests. He reported that the guests who cannot access their cars cannot talk to any guest services employee until they wait in line. Yeah, it's not good right now.

It seems odd that it is only the people on that floor that are unable to get to their cars. If it was an actual bomb the area above and it below would probably also be affected.

Update: It wasn't just the floor that was blocked off, but the entire structure. There's a pretty long line. Also, here's what else he said:

"Hoo this is rich. The cabs are taking to their Destination and are expecting pay. Apparently the drivers no nothing and are demanding payment. What a comedy of errors"

Boy I feel bad for him.

http://www.mynews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/on-the-town/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2014/3/1/universal_parking_lo.html?cmpid=breaking

ORLANDO --

The fourth floor of the King Kong area of Universal Studios Florida's parking garage is evacuated right now because of a suspicious package.

Details are still being worked out. What we do know is the entire fourth floor of the King Kong area was cleared of people and blocked off. The elevator and escalator has been shut off.

Orlando Police and Orange County Fire is investigating.

A Universal spokesperson would not comment beyond saying that they noticed something suspicious, took the right precautions and called police.

Viewers say Universal is paying for cab rides for guests.

Pay attention to the IOA lagoon. If what I have heard is correct there will be something pretty cool coming in the future

I realize you're young and new to this forum, but there is probably something you should know...

A lot... and I mean a LOT of us here are actually in the industry and have a lot of stuff we "know but can't share." We usually aren't impressed (if fact it comes off as annoying) when someone makes a "I know something but I'm not allowed to say" post.

And our rule of thumb is "Those who know, don't tell, and those who tell, probably don't really know."

So keep that in mind for future posts.

--Robb

Aha thanks for the info. Sorry about that Robb, wont happen again.

• 2 weeks later...

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1724123/hogwarts-express-wizarding-world-of-harry-potter.jhtml

Are you ready to ride the Hogwarts Express? Because a movie authentic experience is coming to Universal Studios Orlando's Wizarding World of Harry Potter, as revealed during a press event attended by MTV News and to be announced to the general public later today.

Oliver Phelps, who played George Weasley in the "Harry Potter" movies, as well as members of the Universal Studios creative staff, hosted the event.

In January Universal finally revealed details about the expansion to the Harry Potter section of the theme park: by adding "Diagon Alley," they would double the size of the experience, adding new rides, shops, and attractions.

The focus of today's event was how parkgoers will get from Diagon Alley in Universal Studios Florida, to Hogsmeade in Universal's Island of Adventure. The answer is a train straight out of the films, down to the last detail.

Platform 9 3/4

In the books (and movie), Harry enters the Hogwarts Express by running through a brick wall and on to the hidden, magical Platform 9 3/4. Impossible in real life though, right? Wrong. Though the Universal brass wouldn't explain exactly how it will be done, they did describe it this way:

"I don't want to give it away, you have to experience it. But you'll see people... Transition through the wall, and you'll transition through the wall as you go to the platform."

We have no idea what that means, but it sounds awesome.

Station Agent

The Hogwarts Express will pull into the station billowing steam and smoke, before welcoming guests aboard. The train itself sits about 200 guests at a time, and is made to the exact size of the cabins and hallways of the train in the movies. The paint, materials, and even the whistle are all movie accurate.

Come On Ride The Train

Once on board, the execs were careful to emphasize repeatedly: it is just like the experience of actually riding a train, albeit a magical one. So unlike Universal's King Kong ride which depends on 3-D imagery and glasses, guests will be able to look out the windows and see an actual Harry Potter scene play out; and depending on where they're seated on the train, and what angle they're looking out the window, the scene will look different.

Given the wizards at Universal managed to somehow make Harry Potter's talking, moving paintings and pictures, we expect this effect to be just as mind boggling.

Two Rides For The Price Of One

There are two different journeys, from Hogsmeade to Diagon Alley; and the one back. Each is completely different, with a different story and characters. Speaking of the characters...

Old Friends

Guests will get to see Hagrid wave goodbye from Hogsmeade station, the Knight Bus slamming through the streets in London, Buckbeak or the Weasley twins fly by and even be attacked by evil Dementors. The execs were careful to say that this is not a dangerous train ride, and is appropriate for the whole family... Despite the Dementor attacks. Additionally, at the very least Phelps will be back playing his part. No news on the other actors involved.

Candy Trolley

Yeah, but what about snacks? In the movies and books, the candy trolley is an essential part of any Hogwarts Express journey. So will we have a chance to buy Chocolate Frogs during our train ride? The Universal exec I asked wasn't allowed to say specifically, but did add, "You may see something like that. All I can say is that it's true to the experience in the movies." Pumpkin Pasties, here we come.

More Real Than The Movie

Phelps copped to being completely gobsmacked by the whole endeavor. Not only was the train the first set he filmed on when doing the "Harry Potter" movies, but other parts of the Diagon Alley section of the park were beyond what he expected. In particular, the new full-sized Gringotts Bank is entirely unlike the one in the movies... Because it has a roof. When they were filming, all that was filled in with CGI.

No Opening Date Yet

Other important details: no, there's no official opening date though execs did repeat that it should be open in "Summer." And though previously reported, it's probably important to emphasize that in order to ride the Hogwarts Express, you will need to have a park-to-park ticket for both Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure.

Official Release from Universal Orlando:

ALL ABOARD!

UNIVERSAL ORLANDO RESORT REVEALS NEVER-BEFORE-RELEASED DETAILS ABOUT THE MAGICAL JOURNEY GUESTS WILL EXPERIENCE ABOARD THE HOGWARTS EXPRESS

Universal Creating First-Ever Experience that Will Allow Guests to Actually Ride the Iconic Train Between London and Hogsmeade – Just Like in the Books and Films

ORLANDO, Fla. (March 14, 2014) – One of the most memorable and exciting experiences from the Harry Potter series will come to life at Universal Orlando Resort this summer. Imagine:

· Being transported from the Muggle world to the wizarding world as you pass through the brick wall at King’s Cross Station to arrive at Platform 9 ¾

· Watching in amazement as the Hogwarts Express pulls into the station – its billowing steam and authentic whistle beckoning you to hop aboard

· Sitting in one of the train’s cabins with your family and friends and actually riding the Hogwarts Express – just as your favorite characters did in the Harry Potter films

· Looking outside your cabin window and enjoying a scenic, breathtaking journey through the British countryside as you encounter magical creatures, some of your favorite Harry Potter characters…and even Dementors…

Since the very first Harry Potter film, every fan has dreamed of taking the same classic journey Harry Potter did aboard the Hogwarts Express. And this summer – they will get to live it.

Today, Universal Orlando revealed never-before-released details about the Hogwarts Express experience that will debut as part of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley – the all-new, magnificently themed land opening this summer. The train will connect the new land in Universal Studios Florida with The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade in Islands of Adventure – allowing guests with park-to-park admission to enjoy a real journey aboard the iconic locomotive.

Never before has this been done – creating an actual train ride experience to connect two spectacularly themed environments. The Hogwarts Express experience combines powerful storytelling, live special effects, lifelike animation and state-of-the-art technology to take riders on the journey of a lifetime. Guests will enjoy two completely different experiences depending on whether they’re traveling to Hogsmeade or London.

Once seated in the cabin, guests will be able to look out their windows as an incredibly authentic and magical adventure unfolds before them. They’ll see Hagrid come alongside the train on his flying motorbike, Buckbeak the Hippogriff swoop gracefully over the black lake, the Weasley twins on brooms and up to their usual antics, the Knight Bus swerving through London traffic – and other special moments and surprises.

Universal’s Creative team has been working closely with Warner Bros., Stuart Craig and the production team from the Harry Potter films to create a sensational Hogwarts Express experience that the entire family can enjoy. The Creative team has gone to great lengths to ensure the experience is true to the books and films. Everything about the train is authentic – from the paint and the materials used to build it….all the way down to the whistle.

Park-to-park admission is required to experience the Hogwarts Express journey from The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley (located in Universal Studios Florida) to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade (located in Universal’s Islands of Adventure). For more information about the Hogwarts Express – including a new video that features a first-look at the ride experience – and The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, visit http://www.universalorlando.com/harrypotter.

About the Harry Potter Series

Harry Potter continues to be a global phenomenon. Each of the seven books by author J.K. Rowling has broken sales records, with the series to date having sold over 450 million copies worldwide and translated into 77 languages. The Harry Potter films, produced by Warner Bros. Pictures, have grossed more than $7.7 billion to date worldwide at the box office, making Harry Potter the largest-grossing film franchise in history.

About Universal Orlando Resort

Vacation like you mean it at Universal Orlando Resort – where every heart pounding, jaw-dropping, goose-bumping second counts. It is the only place where you can turn spending time with your family into spending time as a family. Together, you can soar above Hogwarts with Harry Potter, swing above the streets with Spider-Man, become a Minion in the hilarious and heartwarming Despicable Me Minion Mayhem ride, and join Optimus Prime in the fight to save mankind on the new mega-attraction, TRANSFORMERS: The Ride – 3D. And, coming this summer, you can step into The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley.

794897533_ScreenShot2014-03-14at0_24_16.png.a8d3697907e3833e2607ed57404a9c96.png

111185275_ScreenShot2014-03-14at0_24_25.png.7414fc93dd34d56e58de30893ee0419d.png

889632717_ScreenShot2014-03-14at0_24_35.png.8a7bf847334ce6246cf27b6371c16cf4.png

2037006929_HogwartsExpressatUOR.thumb.jpg.0d5df61bf037b1c7de3b31524ceefd97.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

Wait a minute..

a press event attended by MTV News
MTV News is still around? I though MTV only showed catfish.

I'm curious to know how long the train ride will be. Including the time spent loading and unloading. It sounds like it will be a neat experience. They still didn't give away to much.

Edited by Mrlittle

Really reminds me a lot of the enclosed train ride at Hong Kong's Ocean Park. In fact, I'm sure if you search this thread, it was probably said at one point how the "show" in the train would be handled similarly. Instead of the screens being on the top of the train, they are the windows looking outward. Same kind of concept, though.

train.thumb.jpg.3a8b95ea2210c32c8a2a2848f20595ef.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

I'm positive that the entire experience, not just the train ride, will be incredible. They've got some wicked technology at play at Universal and it'll be interesting to see what a few years' extra development will mean between Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley. The attention to detail astounded me when I first visited Hogsmeade and I've no doubt Diagon Alley will be any different.

Universal has a knack for taking established tech and reworking it to be something you'd never think could be accomplished. The entry to Platform 9-3/4, I'm guessing, is going to be some sort of fog curtain. We've all seen them at work in other places, we all know how they work, but they'll probably come up with some way to make it look perfect. Of course I could be completely wrong.

In any case, I can't wait to get back to Orlando and give all of this a whirl!

The screens on the "train" at Ocean park were so nice to look at,

and made part of the ride experience a bit nicer than just tunneling

up through a mountain.

This sounds wonderful, the way they are handling what actual train scenes

would be like.