TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 624 - New Epic Universe details, including Isle of Berk!

Thanks for the coverage of the events, Adam.

I really enjoyed riding it last week myself and was very pleased with the overall experience. It's definitely a very good addition to the park, so I have to say well done Universal. Now if we get that rumored Transformers ride next year, between the two it would definitely lessen the blow of losing Jaws.

My daughter who is 8 said she loved the ride last week when we went, she also loves the giant fluffy she bought in the shop afterwards too. The Minions truly are taking over with the giant billboards on the building and being the first characters in the superstar parade. We had a great time at USO even though TS Debby rained on us off and on the entire day.

All video has been added to the original post, including interviews from the yellow carpet, a full video of the opening festivities, as well as footage from the two pre-shows and the post show Minion dance party!

This ride looks absolutely awesome. I am a huge fan of the movie and this ride seems like a great representation of the movie. I hope I can go to Universal sometime in the future to ride this incredible attraction.

^Whatever it is they are putting there, they are definitely working on it VERY quickly. They aren't waiting for trucks to access the lot in the evening, rather shuttling them through the park throughout the day. And a few days before the building was completely gone, I was able to see full TVs and light fixtures that weren't being stripped from the building before they tore it down. Very little from inside of the studio was salvaged as far as I could tell. And then you've got the issue of Horror Nights... This building was supposed to host a house, with construction reported to have already started in there before the axe came down on it. Why couldn't they wait until November to start demolition unless they were really, really in a hurry to get things going?

DSC04001.thumb.JPG.76cb915a66d73c775fbefeafa4e75354.JPG

Edited by jedimaster1227

UNIVERSAL ORLANDO RESORT ANNOUNCES A NEW SPECTACULARLY THEMED ON-SITE HOTEL DEVELOPMENT

New Hotel Will Add 1,800 On-Site Suites and Standard Rooms

ORLANDO, Fla. (July 9, 2012) – Universal Parks & Resorts and Loews Hotels & Resorts will build a new hotel development at Universal Orlando that will add high-quality, high-value options for families wanting an affordable on-site experience.

Universal’s Cabana Bay Beach Resort will offer two distinct experiences within the development’s multiple buildings: 900 family suites, capable of sleeping six, that include kitchen areas and 900 standard guest rooms – offering both moderate- and value-priced accommodations. It will be operated by Loews Hotels & Resorts and is scheduled to open in 2014.

The hotel will be themed differently than anything else currently available at Universal Orlando. It will evoke the driving vacations so many Americans grew up enjoying with their families – spending time at sweeping motor courts just off the highway, where families relaxed and played after a long day’s drive. The new hotel’s hip, vintage look will be accented with bold design, dramatic, clean lines, bright, period colors and touches of neon. Inside areas including the lobby, dining areas and large, comfortable rooms will follow suit. The hotel will have two themed pool areas.

“Our new hotel will give guests an affordable, incredibly themed on-site hotel experience unlike anything else at our resort,” said Tom Williams, chairman and chief executive officer, Universal Parks & Resorts. “Our new family suites and family-value pricing will give our guests on-site options they’ve never had before.”

The hotel will be built on a 37-acre site within Universal Orlando Resort and adjacent to Universal’s Islands of Adventure – just off Hollywood Way and Turkey Lake Road. Site work will begin soon. Pricing information, opening timeframes and room on-sale dates will be released over time.

The new hotel will allow families to choose between value pricing or the higher level of benefits and service that come with staying at other on-site Universal Orlando hotels – Loews Portofino Bay Hotel, the Hard Rock Hotel and Loews Royal Pacific Resort. It will provide early park admission, proximity to Universal’s Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios and resort-wide charging privileges – but will not offer complimentary Universal Express Unlimited Access.

“The Cabana Bay Beach Resort furthers our goal of operating special and distinct properties in important markets,” said Paul Whetsell, Loews Hotels & Resorts president and CEO. “This is another important step in our plan to expand the Loews system in major markets across the United States.”

812559450_CabanaBayBeachResort-Entrance.thumb.JPG.410251a09004cc4f0320553778edd874.JPG

510956871_CabanaBayBeachResortLobby-LR.jpg.5892bff2cd7e873c2e84dbd98ce2eb3a.jpg

141368744_CabanaBayBeachResortPool-LR.jpg.33125ed18645c69dc19563ba40a1ac60.jpg

1195816385_CabanaBayBeachResortSuite-LR.jpg.0aff3da417bf843d4ea14ae23afa46c0.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

I'm so happy they are doing this. It's not worth it to pay over $250 per night at some of these other USO resorts, when there are $90 or $100 options just across the street. I'm probably not going back to Florida until 2015, so by then, the hype may have gone down, and I'll book a few nights at it for when I'm at Universal.

^ Seems like you're doing fairly well for yourself at 14.

Anyway, I'm guessing they'll be using the smaller of the two remaining lots for this? I guess that somewhat dashes the hopes of Universal creating their own amazing waterpark on that acreage? The hotel choices are nice, much needed additions, but eh, oh well.

Great to see UOR adding more of what they need. Interested to see full layout plans and how they're connecting this to the rest of the resort. Now we just need a Sound Stage 44 and Potter announcement

Edit: A 2014 opening with a rumored 2014 Potter 2.0 opening would make a pretty big year for the resort.