TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Minnesota State Fair

Hi there,

It turns out there will be a summer trip for me after all. Me and a few friends from work are heading out to see a twins game, hit Valleyfair, Cedar Point and the MN State Fair. I was told this fair is HUGE and has a great midway but that's about all I know... What show covers this fair and what kind of spectacular rides/coasters can I expect? Does the fair have any decent dark rides? Any help would be appreciated, and pictures woul dbe even better! Thanks.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fair is indeed huge and has a great midway. The whole Minnesota State Fair experience is really something to behold. Basically, the whole state shuts down for a week and revolves around 300 acres in the Midway area of St. Paul.

http://www.jerryd.net/mnsf/

Jerry Dorf, another coaster guy, took this great batch of photos from the 2006 MNSF.

Paul

Normally we get at least 2 coasters at the fair. The fair is he best thing that happens in MN each year. There is so much to do and eat you need to come back for a 2nd day!

It is truly the "Great Minnesotan Get-together!"

The MN State Fair is by FAR the best state fair I've ever been to (and I live in Des Moines, IOWA!). It doesn't even compare to the others. There's a huge midway and the entertainment and food are unbeatable. Iowa's state fair is torturously over-rated.

Be sure to get a pronto pup for me!

MN State Fair rocks! In addition to decent flats, I remember a kiddie coaster only ... but then again, we haven't been back since 2003 due to an east coast relocation. Our favorite game at the Fair was trying to eat as many things as possible on a stick and/or deep-fried; my DH still speaks fondly of the deep-fried batter-coated pickle-on-a-stick ~ ick! I preferred the deep-fried candy-bar-on-a-stick myself. Don't miss the all-you-can-drink-milk bar, the head carved in butter, crop art, giant vegetables, cheese curds, and the huge hog

Be prepared for high humidity, LOTS of mosquitos & great people watching ~ I wish I was going!

Thanks to all of you for your help. Looks like I'll have to stay for 2 days if I want to get it all done. I am so excited I finally get to ride a space roller again, yesssss!

Anyone know if the midway has any dark rides? I actually really like the portable dark rides at fairs, some of them are pretty decent.

As Paul posted a link to my picture collection from last year, I will say that was only a small part of what I took at the MNSF.

The midway is based on whats called a independent midway, where each ride operator bids on up to 5 spaces on the lot and the fair board selects each piece based on past history and other factors.

The Top Scan is defiantly one of the main attractions that does quite well.

We had a crazy mouse along with the old holiday world's Firecracker in 2006.

There are some dark rides that come to the lot. Also there is a haunted house attraction outside of the midway. We also have http://www.yeoldmillmn.com/ that is a old dark boat ride attraction.

If you come up do plan to spend 2 days as there is alot of things to do and look at not mention eat if your so inclined.

The Minnesota State Fair tries to show the diverse culture in the state ranging from farming and livestock to home improvement stuff for the metropolitan area.

Lets not forget to mention the fair's website http://www.mnstatefair.org

Jerry

Thanks for the help Jerry, does being an independent midway mean that the rides are pay-as-you-go? Is there not usually a wristband type of deal where all rides can be accessible for one price? thanks alot for the info!

Oh, I forgot, they also have a Kidway along with their Midway, and I think they usually have a a Dragon Wagon there if you want to credit whore. I can't think of any dark rides off the top of my head, but I haven't actually been to the MN fair for almost five years.

Thanks for the help Jerry, does being an independent midway mean that the rides are pay-as-you-go? Is there not usually a wristband type of deal where all rides can be accessible for one price? thanks alot for the info!

Each ride is based on tickets, no wristbands or PoP plan. So yes it can get expensive! Do not ask how much I spent on tickets over the years.

There are some discount days where rides are discounted by 1-2 tickets. Last year the ride tickets where priced at $.40 to $.60 each depending on when and how many you purchased. Each ride takes 3-6 tickets based on thrill value and popularity. Top Scan and Crazy Mouse where 6 tickets each as I recall.

I usually go to the fair a couple times a year, and I would almost say that the non-midway parts of the fair far surpass the midway part of the fair.

Sure there are lots of rides, but most Minnesotans go to the fair for the other parts of the fair. The animals, the trade shows, the 4-H building, the people watching, the concerts, the crafts, beer school (some years), and definitely the food and drink. If one was to just go to the fair for the rides, I think you'd be missing out on what can be a far greater experience of doing and seeing all the other things at the fair. You really only need 2 days at the fair if you want to experience all the other things at the fair other than the midway. You can easily hit everything you want for rides in a day/afternoon.