TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Plan of attack for SFOG on a Saturday in July?

I'll be heading into the deep south (Florida isn't the deep south) and visiting SFOG, Ghost Town in the Sky, and Dollywood (and maybe Lake Winnie) in July. I'll probably be hitting SFOG on a Saturday. I wish I could choose another day for SFOG, but I won't be able to change it. So what is a good survival guide for SFOG?

I'll probably be getting the Flash Pass. I've been to SFOG and I have all the credits except for Goliath and Canyon Blaster. Goliath will be a priority. I can probably skip Ninja and the Georgia Cyclone if need be.

I want to try to hit all the good stuff at SFOG. The last time I visited in 2004, I went with some people who weren't fans of the place and boo-hooed all the time we were there. We ended up leaving at around 3 pm after riding stuff for a few hours.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would this be fourth of July weekend or later in the month, because I can tell ya that the 4th of July weekend... Well... all I can offer you is a prayer.

If it's not, I'd suggest hitting up Goliath first thing and last thing of the day, or head over to Superman first while everyone else heads to Goliath, and while they still wait in line for that, you could finish Superman, and head over to Deja Vu, Batman and Mindbender.

If you're going to Atlanta, I wouldn't go without packing. You don't want to bring a set of keys and a leatherman to a gunfight. As for the park. Who's going to get caught in front of somebody decked out with ammo like Rambo? It's cheaper than a gold q-bot, especially if you come about your munitions illegally.

[/sarcasm]

-James Dillaman

Actually, give Georgia Cyclone a ride again. Make sure you ride in the first row of the last car, I think you will be surprised how much fun (as well as some extreme ejector airtime) this coaster can be. Are you going by yourself? If so, go ahead and get yourself a Gold-Q-Bot. I really think it will be worth it for you.

^I will be sad and pathetic and go by myself.

I was debating on getting the Gold Q-Bot. I'm definitely getting the normal Q-Bot if I'm visiting on a Saturday.

Here's my schedule (probably):

Sat. - SFOG

Sun. - Ghost Town in the Sky

Mon. - Dollywood

I was debating on doing...

Sat. - Ghost Town in the Sky

Sun. - Dollywood

Mon. - SFOG

I don't know how busy Ghost Town in the Sky will be, though.

I would definitely go to SFOG on Monday if you can. Saturdays during the summer are BRUTAL! The heat as well as the crowds are awful. I don't know what these other guys are talking about, but maybe they haven't ridden The Cyclone this year. SFOG is my home park and I only had to ride Cyclone one time this year and that will probably be the last time I EVER ride it. It was one of the, if not The roughest coaster I have ever been on. My back hurt after that ride. The only reason I would suggest that coaster is if you haven't gotten the credit yet. Otherwise I think that it should meet the same fate as Psyclone at Magic Mountain.

As far as Goliath goes, you definitely want to get as many rides in as possible. IMO, it is the best coaster overall that I have ridden. The Canyon Blaster is a kinda fun mine ride that the line should be very short for. I don't think you will have a problem getting those two credits. Hope you have fun!

Where did you sit when you rode the Cyclone Coasterbear? Again, like I wrote in my previous post, you have to ride it in the last car front row. If you ride in any other seat you will wish that you were dead. We also find that a middle row in the middle of GASM's train is also quite good. Just make sure you stay off a wheel row.

SFOG on Monday or Sunday is a better option. Saturdays in the summer are a nightmare. Even the Flash Pass lines are long sometimes (especially for Superman). If you have no other option, then make sure you get in the park early to get a gold q-bot and be ready to curse out the people who jump line in the Batman que.

As for your credits, make Goliath your first ride as it's the third closest coaster to the entrance. If Deja Vu is running, line up for it or q-bot it quickly cuz you never know if it's actually going to run all day. As for the Cyclone, I would suggest to ride that later on during the day. I agree that the first row in the last car does give you some mad ejector air, but at the same time it'll rough you up pretty good. Canyon Blaster is a fun lil kiddie coaster, probably one of the best kiddie coasters that I've been on.

Where did you sit when you rode the Cyclone Coasterbear? -Erik J

I sat towards the front actually, but it wasn't just this year. The last couple of years that I have ridden it, it is very jerky and makes my back hurt every time. GASM isn't half as bad(unless you sit in the last car) and it is way older than Cyclone. I think the fact that it is all compacted into a small place combined with the fact that it is wooden makes it the roughest ride ever. If they would retrack it, I am sure it may be a great ride again. If not, then tear it down and give us something good!

Where did you sit when you rode the Cyclone Coasterbear? -Erik J

I sat towards the front actually, but it wasn't just this year. The last couple of years that I have ridden it, it is very jerky and makes my back hurt every time. GASM isn't half as bad(unless you sit in the last car) and it is way older than Cyclone. I think the fact that it is all compacted into a small place combined with the fact that it is wooden makes it the roughest ride ever. If they would retrack it, I am sure it may be a great ride again. If not, then tear it down and give us something good!

Again, Like Erik said, last car first seat. That CANNOT be stressed enough. If you ride in this row, you will get amazing ejector airtime, and its actually surprisingly smoother than anywhere else on the train.

• 1 month later...

Well, it is decided...I can't schedule it any other time, so I'm going to SFOG on a Saturday. I found a cheap flight in that day, but it doesn't arrive at ATL until 8:16 am. I'm not going to check in any luggage, so hopefully, I can pick up the rental car and arrive at SFOG before opening. I reserved the Gold Q-Bot. I also ordered a season pass online for $50! The website said it was $75, but when I went to order it online, it came out to $50. I'm even 300 miles away and I was able to buy the season pass ahead of time.

Just two more questions:

1.) How far away is ATL from SFOG?

2.) Where do I get a season pass processed at SFOG?

3.) Where is Avis at the Atlanta airport?

I remember flying into Atlanta way back in 2004 and I arrive at 7:30. I had enough time to get my luggage, pick up the rental car, eat at the Waffle House, and arrive at the front gates at around 9:15.

The city is about 10-15 minutes from the park. The season pass office is right behind the ticket booths in front of the park on the left side if your looking at the front gate. Avis? couldn't tell you......I hope that helps?