TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

37 Injured In Fairground Enterprise Fire.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the words of the VW commercials holy sh

Hydraulic fluid, grease and sparks = bad times.

Any word on any of the Huss Enterprise’s being shut down at parks?

One of my fav flats too. Worst I ever had was a power failure.

Will be interesting to see the accident report.

My guess would be electrical spark.

Thats just horrible.

Actually, hydraulic fluid is flame retardant. It's made to reach very very high temps without ever catching fire, so I doubt that was the cause.

I've researched and ..

here

Preliminary investigations have revealed no evidence that would point to arson in a potentially catastrophic amusement park fire that occurred in Estonia’s southeastern town of Rakvere on Friday night, contrary to the suspicions expressed by the manager of the travelling funfair, Lauri Viikna, on Saturday.

District Attorney Marge Voogma, who is in charge of the criminal investigations, said on Sunday that the reason for the fire will be discovered only after more extensive investigations to be conducted by experts. At this stage technical crime scene investigations are being made in order to find out potential reasons for the outbreak of fire while the ride was in use.

In the Rakvere fire a total of 41 people suffered burns and smoke inhalation and were taken to hospitals in Rakvere and Tallinn. All except the six more seriously injured were released late Saturday, officials reported.

The fire broke out when an amusement park carousel that was in operation caught fire after 11 p.m. on Friday night.

When the rescue services arrived, part of the carousel was ablaze, but the firefighters were able to extinguish the fire quickly. The electrical system of the equipment as well as five of the carousel’s 20 wagons were damaged.

The manager of the travelling tivoli, Lauri Viikna, said on Saturday that an act of vandalism cannot be ruled out. He noted that there was no combustible material around from which the fire could have started.

According to the head of the rescue operation, the fire had started near the mechanism that runs the carousel.

"Our insurance naturally covers all those people who were visiting the funfair", reported Viikna to the Baltic News Service (BNS).

According to Viikna, all equipment belonging to Estonia’s Tivoli Tuur funfair had last been inspected in Sweden in April.

The Rakvere City Board decided on Saturday to cancel the operating licence granted to the funfair.

Wouldn't it be smarter to keep it running while it is on fire until the fire is put out? This is probably an example of poor carny maintenance.

That'd make to much sense. I'm sure it would've made all the people sick, but would've saved them from serious injury. Imagine, the ride slowing down and you coming slowly into the fire without anthing you can do to stop it. It's like torture; the way people get hurt riding rides and coasters.

But then they risk collapse, parts flying off and hitting bystanders, and the general psychological trauma of those on the ride. Imagine if you were on a ride that was on fire and they didn't stop it. I know that would mess me up quite a bit...

Wouldn't it be smarter to keep it running while it is on fire until the fire is put out? This is probably an example of poor carny maintenance.

Wow... this video is literally one of the most terrifying things I've seen in my life.

Also, I think you might want to watch your sweeping generalizations here. I personally know several traveling ride owners, and they are just as interested in ride safety as any park. Also, many carnivals, the rides owners have a personal stake in the safety of the rides, few parks can say that.

It is a differnet ballgame, but I would think long and hard before jumping to conclusions and calling one safer than another.

I guess they could've, but then the worse case scenario could be that the fire could melt the arm holding the wheel or even the cars and then the ride might collapse. These aren't really escape- proof rides because or the restraint system.

Whoah whoah whoah!

If you were to speed it up you would only make it worse; air (technically oxygen in the air) is a highly flammable fuel source for fire. If you were to increase the ride's speed you would increase the amount of air that the fire has access to.

Sure, theoretically speaking if you were to be able to get enough air flowing towards the fire you could effectively "drown" it (Think of it in terms of cordial. If you add lots of water to the cordial syrup you will dilute it so much that it isnt tasty any more =P) but for a fire of this nature with the available combustible fuel it would only make things worse.

Ever seen a house fire or a bushfire? If there are strong winds the thing will spread so freaking quickly its not funny.

Sad accident, i would have hated to have been on the ride at the time, or even in line for it! =|

Wow, what a scary video. It must have been terrifying for those poor people on board. Luckily nobody died.

I'm a (inactive) volunteer firefighter, and if I remember correctly, dark black smoke such as seen in this film suggests an electrical fire (different colored smoke means different types of fires). I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the fire was an electrical malfunction, possibly caused by having too many things (rides) operating on one circuit. Did you ever have too many things plugged into one circuit and start a fire? I have

Definitely it would have been worse to keep the ride going. As someone pointed out, oxygen only fuels the fire and motion only spreads it. I think they handled it in the best way that you could handle such a thing.

If you watch the videos really close, you can see people jumping around the fire and pushing the cars around. Almost looks like some of the workers are trying to get the people out before they get stuck in their car right in the fire. That's damn brave if it's the case. Can't be sure about it, but that's what appears to be happening. Anyway, still one of the scariest things I've seen as far as Amusement accidents go.

Those poor people, how terrifying for them.

I can honestly say that i will never ride an enterprise again, I know that this is an isolated incedent, but i have always felt unsafe on these things, in fact i dont even think i can put them in my RCT3 parks anymore after seeing that video!

This doesnt mean that i will never ride a stand up coaster after the death in Japan or anything that drastic, it's just that i have never been comfortable with the restraint system & the fact that your locked in a cage on the enterprises. Seeing that video just sealed the deal for me.

This is one of my favorite flats but after this I don't know if Id ride one again. Sometimes it's better not to know what can happen. I can't imagine If was on that ride, it's pretty insane. I mean someone said before imagine if your kids were on there....I would be freaking out if my daughter was on there and i couldn't help her. I mean that's one of the worst cases you could get into on a ride.

Oh that is horrible. Although I genuinely pay my respects to everyone affected by this tragic accident I have to say this. Wouldn't it have been so funny to hear someone scream this out as went around and around:

I'm meltingggg!

I mean I know this isn't a comical situation but still. A random Wizard of Oz referance mixed with a random fire on a fair ground type ride is so utterly random and hilarious to me it's unbelievable. I guess to find this whole thing a little funny you'd have to imagine that it wasn't real.