TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most Overrated coaster?

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maverick gets my vote as the most over-rated coaster. When it came out, as well as now, everyone's like "OMG it's an amazing ride with a 95 DEGREE DROP and TWO launches"!!!!!!!! For me the ride isn't that exciting. First off, I don't even consider the lift hill a launch; it's more of just a slightly faster incline than a typical coaster's lift hill. The only good part of the ride is the launch in the tunnel. It's a coaster that throws you around and tends to hurt a lot.

I'd probably start a riot by saying Magnum XL-200, so I won't say that. For me it's probably Alpengeist. It's a solid ride, don't get me wrong, but I always felt you go too fast through the elements to really appreciate them. I think I'd like it better if they cut the midcourse trim down, too, since the second half lacks intensity. I definitely prefer Raptor, Batman: the Ride or even Silver Bullet, which is not intense but provides a more graceful ride.

^Let the rioting commence

One word...Trimless!

In my experiences, coasters tend to be hyped exactly to their potential when I finally ride them, so nothing's really been such a disappointment to me. If anything, I tend to like coasters generally more than other people, whatever they have to offer. One coaster that I really thought didn't live up to the hype, however, was Viper. I don't really understand why people love arrow loopers so much, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. I suppose I have to ride more before I make a final judgment. King's Island this summer!

I have to go with bizzaro at sfne.

Maybe it was just a case of anticipointment, but this coaster did not live up to all the hype for me. The biggest part of the problem for me was the restraint. It was digging into my leg the whole time, and made the ride painful. The layout was o-k, but nothing earth shattering by no means.

I wish I could have rode this coaster with the old restraints, and maybe I would think different of it.

Has to be most of the offerings at Cedar Point. Call me what you will, but most of the rides at cedar point just did nothing for me. I prefer Xcellerator and Storm Runner to TTD, Raptor just felt like it was trying too hard to be awesome and just wasnt, everything already said on this forum about MF (except i got good air on the short bunny hill before the 2nd tunnel once), and Mantis tried to castrate me. The only ride i thought was really cool at CP was Gemini, def the underrated star of that park (the trims seemed to be off before the helix). CP's flagship rides were just a letdown.

Batman: The Ride. There's nothing wrong with it, it's a 7/10 B&M invert, but I don't see how it gets away with being called OMG forceful, or the best invert ever. For the most part, rides exactly fulfill my expectations, so there aren't too many coasters I would put in this category.

I find Kraken very overrated. I just can't seem to like it, I give it maybe 7/10 for the front row. I can't really describe it, I just don't enjoy being on it that much. This is really the only overrated coaster I can think of as I have a pretty good idea of what i'm getting going in.

Batman: The Ride. There's nothing wrong with it, it's a 7/10 B&M invert, but I don't see how it gets away with being called OMG forceful, or the best invert ever. For the most part, rides exactly fulfill my expectations, so there aren't too many coasters I would put in this category.

Did you ride it in the back row?

The forces differ a bit depending on where you sit, and I've found my backseat rides to be much more intense than a front seat ride.

I actually love the batman clones, I find them to be very good a forceful old-school inverts.

As for an overrated coaster?

I'd say (don't kill me) Superman Escape from Kypton. Don't get me wrong, they made some fantastic improvements to the ride, but people seem to think it's the best ride ever.... I honestly liked the ride, but I can easily name 15-20 coasters that I've ridden that I'd rate higher than it...

Schwarzkopf looping coasters.

Don't get me wrong, I find them to be fun coasters. However, they're not as amazing as everybody says they are. I've ridden Laser, Scorpion, Sooperdooperlooper, and Mind Bender. All fun, but not amazing.

I'd probably say Magnum at CP. It was my first hypercoaster, and I loved it. But after riding other rides like Milennium Force and the Phantoms Revenge, its not what it was the first time I rode it.

Really though, no ride has ever not really lived up to the hype for me. I can see exactly why Magnum won all those Golden Tickets. Maybe its cause I havent ridden that many coasters, I dont really get to go to many parks :\

Did you ride it in the back row?

The forces differ a bit depending on where you sit, and I've found my backseat rides to be much more intense than a front seat ride.

I actually love the batman clones, I find them to be very good a forceful old-school inverts.

As for an overrated coaster?

I'd say (don't kill me) Superman Escape from Kypton. Don't get me wrong, they made some fantastic improvements to the ride, but people seem to think it's the best ride ever.... I honestly liked the ride, but I can easily name 15-20 coasters that I've ridden that I'd rate higher than it...

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely sit back row next time I'm at SFGADV

Did you ride Maverick?

I have to go with Batman: The Ride. It just wasn't there for me. Also, S:ROS at SFA was terrible. Maybe it was just the weather conditions because it was really cold.

Maverick was having issues that day, and by the time it opened i had to get to a meeting. However with BTR, back seat (or near the back of the train) it really whips you thru the wingovers and its something to behold. Also, dont expect it to be I305 intense, its just more intense than Raptor or Alpinegiest and packs quite a punch for its incredibly small footprint.

I'd probably say Magnum at CP. It was my first hypercoaster, and I loved it. But after riding other rides like Milennium Force and the Phantoms Revenge, its not what it was the first time I rode it.

Really though, no ride has ever not really lived up to the hype for me. I can see exactly why Magnum won all those Golden Tickets. Maybe its cause I havent ridden that many coasters, I dont really get to go to many parks :\

That's why I love when I end up loving a coaster that I hear bad things about. Mantis is a good example, even though it hurt my legs I thought it was really fun and intense!

My first ride on NTAG. Seriously. Thought it was "fun" but pretty tame.

Then I rode the back seat and OMFG. By the time I got in a bunch of rides in the back, it had warmed up and was giving great rides all over the train. It's now my #1 steelie, so it just goes to show that every coaster gives an "off" ride once in awhile.

For me its X2 and Ghost Rider.

X2 is a great ride, don't get me wrong, its just the ride feels too short to wait 3hrs in line for, breaks down a lot, and its pretty rough towards the end of the ride. Regardless, the drop is great, and it is neat for a prototype.

I'm not sure exactly how GhostRider is ranked, or if it is hyped up a lot. I've heard its smooth (which is bullsh*t BTW), and filled with airtime, but it was way too rough to even be fun at all. For lines at Knotts, it averages about 90 min. compared to the occasional 20 on Silver Bullet (Which, IMO is underrated).