TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most Overrated coaster?

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steel Force

I've actually heard bad things about Steel Force so I dunno how it could be overrated.

Beast... By a LONG shot

I'd have to disagree with this. I didn't expect anything when I rode it the first time (which was during the day), but I thought it was an awesome coaster. The night ride is what gave it a spot in my top ten. Did you ride it at night?

Steel Force

I've actually heard bad things about Steel Force so I dunno how it could be overrated.

There are two kinds of over-hype themes to this. The first one is the way you are thinking. I first rode Steel Force in 1998 it was only a year old and was the tallest, fastest and longest roller coaster on the east coast. It was ranked consistantly in the top 5, at the time. My friends and everyone I could hear would talk about how great this coaster was, in fact it was always the best.

The 2nd part of this has to do with me personally, I at the age of 16 had only experienced one roller coaster my entire life, and that was the kiddie High Speed Thrill coaster at Knoeble's I was terrified of "real" coasters and would never go on them. I had a girlfriend at the time who worked at Dorney, she told me if I went on it (knowing I was deathly afraid) that she would that very night, give me what all 16 year old boys think about and want. She didn't think I'd do it. She also said I would have to go on it alone, it would have to be the first thing I rode (no working up to it). I weighed my options for several hours and decided to do it. I was in the midst of a panic attack my entire time in line. it was even starting to drizzle, I was told I couldn't get a rain check on the offer. I borded the train liteally shaking, ride operator even asked if I was ok to ride, a guy my age, I told him about the deal. He said "then you have to". Train goes up the hill, I am freaking out 2/3 of the way up I see lightning just before reachin the top the skies open up and its pouring as I go down the hill, at this point I was sure I was going to die any minute. What felt like needles of rain stabbing me in the face at 75 mph. After getting air on the next hill I began to think "wow besides the knives hitting me this is actually quite a rush and fun" going over the bunny hills before the end I was laughing and loving it. After getting off the ride I even wanted to go on again but due to the rain they had closed it. Shocked as heck that I actually went through with it and liked it, I of course wanted to collect my end of the bargin, besides it was her that offered. Instead I got a song and dance about how she helped me get over my fear and I should be thankfull and that should be my reward. That night led to an extremely bad fight and yes another 3 weeks of waiting. So it was very dissapointing.

My list of significant letdowns includes: Raven, Legend, Voyage, Maverick, and Raptor.

Raven was fun at first, with some solid airtime and fun hills, but then BAM! It was over. It absolutely does not warrant a top ten rating. It hits the brakes with so much speed, it leaves you with a feeling of "No way it's over already..."

I wasn't expecting as much from Legend, but I was still disappointed. It was longer than Raven, which was good. And that airtime hill next to the water park, OMG. However, it didn't track well at all. The whole ride was pretty uncomfortable.

Voyage was GOOD, but not OMFGLOL good. It was very long and did a lot of stuff, but none of it was very memorable. The ride tired me out without blowing me away, unlike Hades.

Maverick - what the hell?! I came in expecting a fun ride with a long line. What I got was a exciting ride with a long line and NECKBASHING. A LOT of neck bashing. My sister and my mom, who are shorter than me, got tremendous amounts of earbashing.

Why didn't anyone say something?

I tried everything to stop it, but it just happened the entire ride. Don't get me wrong, the airtime was AWE-SOME and I liked the corkscrews, but I couldn't understand how train after train would stop with everyone on board laughing so hard because they liked the ride.

Raptor was severely lacking awesome. It looked SO GOOD and it was highly ranked, so I thought it would be cool. But man, intensity stunk, speed stunk, and the whole ride I kept telling myself "OK, THIS will be great. No... THIS will be... Intense? Nope..."

Is there a row to sit on Raptor? I rode in the very back. Is it better in the front? The middle?

Crap, I always get carried away when doing this stuff...

My list of significant letdowns includes: Raven, Legend, Voyage, Maverick, and Raptor.

Oh God, Raven was such a whack coaster! I was expecting so much from it, and in the end, I rode it once and had no desire to go back on. Legend was rough, but at least it had a decent layout. Couldn't disagree with you more about Voyage though .

Jer I loved your story by the way, hahaa. I'd be PISSED if a guy did that to me .

I'd have to disagree with this. I didn't expect anything when I rode it the first time (which was during the day), but I thought it was an awesome coaster. The night ride is what gave it a spot in my top ten. Did you ride it at night?

Yes, and although at dusk/night it is more fun, it still does nothing for me. The layout is uninspiring with more straightaways and trim-brakes to find enjoyable. I prefer a ride with substance myself.

Voyage? Now that is a ride with substance. As is Wildcat, Georgia Cyclone, Thunderhead and many other woodies. Beast is *very* low down my list, as is it's father.

But different strokes for different folks!

Yes, and although at dusk/night it is more fun, it still does nothing for me. The layout is uninspiring with more straightaways and trim-brakes to find enjoyable. I prefer a ride with substance myself.

I just thought it was so different, and seeing the forest area with the mist cresting the first hill was just awesome.. I dunno, like you said, to each his own.

MILLENIUM FORCELESS

I don't know how it seems intense to people. Other than the first drop all it does is go fast and the airtime is hardly noticable. Fun.. yes. Worlds best coaster... No.

MILLENIUM FORCELESS

I don't know how it seems intense to people. Other than the first drop all it does is go fast and the airtime is hardly noticable. Fun.. yes. Worlds best coaster... No.

Millennium force wasn't about airtime. It was about height and speed. Which it gave a lot of.

IMO, Vortex at King's Island. It's nice to have a custom looper, but Arrow's that I've been on are just to rough. When I was smaller my head would bounce back and forth between the the restraints. Now that I'm taller it's better, but it's still an overrated IMO. A B&M floorless would make a better looper.

• 4 months later...

The B&M Hypers don't do much for me at all. Raging Bull, before the brakes went on REALLY heavy was probably the most insane of all of them, but the rest of them to me are just "fun" rides, and don't offer anywhere near the out of control crazy airtime as the Intamin's do.

I prefer the B&M hypers to Morgan's or Giavanola, but that's not say too much.

--Robb "Who has never come off a B&M hyper and thought WOW!!!" Alvey

AC at BGE was definitely one of the better B & M hypers, and Intamin is just plain crazy, which I believe is all related to the train configuration. Same goes for the difference between the Togo vs any other standup. The Togo trains, laugh if you may, deliver the best airtime and better ride as far as I am concerned.

Back on topic though I really think TTD is by far the most overrated even compared to MF. After 2 years of hit and miss trips to CP I finally got the chance to ride TTD. When it was over I just shook my head and said DUH! People are waiting outlandishly long times to ride this??? Sure the speed was there, but other than that........ blink, and you missed the ride.

The B&M Hypers don't do much for me at all. Raging Bull, before the brakes went on REALLY heavy was probably the most insane of all of them, but the rest of them to me are just "fun" rides, and don't offer anywhere near the out of control crazy airtime as the Intamin's do.

I prefer the B&M hypers to Morgan's or Giavanola, but that's not say too much.

--Robb "Who has never come off a B&M hyper and thought WOW!!!" Alvey

I agree with there not being a "WOW" factor to B&M hypers. U.S. parks really need to start building some mega-lites. I imagine those are way better than B&M hypers, even with half the height. Somehow I still have Apollo and Diamondback in my top 10, though.

--Steve "Magnum is still the best hyper on Earth" Burant

Griffon and Sheikra, sure the drops are fun but both the coasters are short and more of an attraction than a ride.

They're more of spectator pieces. I know when ever I was near Griffon during my trip to BGW, the bridge and areas surrounding the coaster were always FILLED with people.

Don't get me wrong, I love both coasters, but are they that amazing.... no.

It's interesting, I love OMFG airtime like El Toro's, but at the same time I think B&M hypers provide a much more "free flying" feeling than any other ride I've been on. To me, B&M's hypers might not have as many awesome moments as rides with stronger airtime (I'm talking mostly about El Toro here, yet to ride an Intamin hyper; Bizarro is in my scope for the next few years), but the ride altogether is just plain fun.