TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most Overrated coaster?

^^^ Well if you think about it just shortening the hills over to the island so they give air would have been cheaper!

Yeah, that crossed my mind, but it might be easier said than done. Keep in mind that this coaster was built in 2000, before all the extreme ejector air prefabs, terra-coasters (Maverick-style), mega-lites, etc. Now I'm not saying ejector air didn't exist, just that maybe it wasn't perfected by Intamin like it is today. Going 93 MPH already comes with it's own headaches of maintenance, and maybe things like the design of the train weren't up to today's standards and couldn't handle such extreme ejector airtime. Adding more ejector air would have put more stress on the trains, and perhaps doubled that maintenance demand.

I'm not saying this is the sole reason MF only has floater air, it could be (it's only a theory, maybe I'm completely wrong) only one of many, including the fact that the point of MF is height and speed. Floater air gives riders more time to look around and realize how fast they are going and how high they are, instead of going up and down in a quarter of a second.

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

El Toro.

Don't get me wrong, it's super awesome, just not SUPER AWESOME like I was lead to believe. I think my problem with it is that there's like, 4 spots of air on the whole ride. Sure, really good air, but there's just not a lot.

Boulderdash is way better.

Ghostrider at Knott's. That's my home park, but it's a piece of crap. It especially irks me when I continually hear praise for it, right before they chicken out on Pony Express.

Ghostrider was great when I rode it years ago, but everything that I hear about it now is that it's not aging gracefully and its roughness is starting to gain to Psyclone's level of pain. (Interestingly enough, I enjoyed Psyclone. Then again, I rode it every day for almost a year and I knew how to avoid the pain).

Interestingly enough, Psyclone and Ghostrider are related... both were built by someone from the Dinn family.

Sincerely,

R.C.

El Toro.

Don't get me wrong, it's super awesome, just not SUPER AWESOME like I was lead to believe. I think my problem with it is that there's like, 4 spots of air on the whole ride. Sure, really good air, but there's just not a lot.

Boulderdash is way better.

Not saying I agree with you about El Toro, but I also hate that. When something is hyped up to be the best thing that ever existed, so you have your expectations set very high and come out disappointed.

I'm not saying this is the sole reason MF only has floater air, it could be (it's only a theory, maybe I'm completely wrong) only one of many, including the fact that the point of MF is height and speed. Floater air gives riders more time to look around and realize how fast they are going and how high they are, instead of going up and down in a quarter of a second.

My understanding is that MF's layout is the way it is due to two concerns of CP:

1. That it provide a different sort of ride experience than Magnum (which it was considered simply a bigger version of, at least in some circles, at the time).

2. That is not need to have trim brakes added to it, should it break in faster than anticipated.

Keep in mind, too, that CP was inspired to build Magnum because of Bandit over in Japan--which MF perhaps bears more of a resemblance to, ultimately.

• 3 months later...

Well I'm going to say I have several overrated coasters...

El Toro- Ok don't get me wrong, it was insane but as other people have said it is overhyped.

Superman Ultimate Flight- After the prezal loop it just kinda died, and sitting on the break run for 10 minutes did not help!

Fehrenheit- Its good but not awsome, and this year its rattle has seemed to get worse! It hurt when I rode it last!

For me, it's Kumba, Hulk, and Kraken.

The first time I rode Kumba (don't remember when, a couple years ago...?), I didn't notice any headbanging and it was my favorite ride at Busch Gardens. I kept coming back to it throughout the day. Now, it's just...rough.

For Hulk, the only part I liked was the launch, and maybe the front part of the ride that everyone can see. Starting with that corkscrew above the queue building, it starts getting rattly. I feel like nobody else notices this.

What I have to say about Kraken is pretty much the same about Kumba. Now, it's just okay. Even in the front seat.

For me, it's Kumba, Hulk, and Kraken.

The first time I rode Kumba (don't remember when, a couple years ago...?), I didn't notice any headbanging and it was my favorite ride at Busch Gardens. I kept coming back to it throughout the day. Now, it's just...rough.

For Hulk, the only part I liked was the launch, and maybe the front part of the ride that everyone can see. Starting with that corkscrew above the queue building, it starts getting rattly. I feel like nobody else notices this.

What I have to say about Kraken is pretty much the same about Kumba. Now, it's just okay. Even in the front seat.

I totally agree with you about Hulk. Ifound it to be the worst ride at both IOA and Universal Studios. The launch is neat and then its just a bunch of head banging. I really did not like it, although the park itself is amazing.

I thought Everest was highly overrated. It was fun, but I got off thinking 'what, that was it?' I felt like it could have done so much more.

Gemini-Growing up within 2 hours from Cedar Point, I used to hear how steep it was, and this and tht. After i rode it, I throroughly enjoyed it, but it wasn't nowhere as bad as everyone said it was.

BTW, I haven't heard anyone mention the Voyage. Surely someone must have something bad to say...

None, I have the ability to enjoy each and every coaster for what it's worth and not moan about having fun. I hope none of you ever have to experience your home park being torn down like I did, to learn to truly value the fact of having roller coasters and rides nearby. Seriously, go ride and have fun, it's not that crucial. Millennium Force isn't built for air time, like other out and back type hypers are so stop wining about it. It's a fun ride in a different sense.

I'm going to be different and say that The Phoenix at Knoebels gets my vote. I've grown up in the area so maybe I'm biased, but so many people say great things about the Phoenix and how it is such an amazing coaster and everything, but to me it just isn't. It really seems to be more or less a standard out and back woodie and I cannot see what is so special about it. So kill me if you must, but I really can't see why everyone likes the Phoenix so much.

I think its the smoothness and the incredible airtime. I felt Phoenix met all my expectations and lived up to the hype when I rode it a month ago for the first time. The airtime is just plain awesome.

BTW, I haven't heard anyone mention the Voyage. Surely someone must have something bad to say...

That isn't possible. Well...the turns during the ride at the far end of the course are kinda rough, and Holiday World's annoying staff staples you and tightens your seatbelt everytime...but besides that no complaints.

Maverick.

It's a decent ride, but not that great. I'd rather ride Fahrenheit quite honestly. Better transitions, better first drop, more airtime. I guess I just don't like Maverick because every single transition is so snappy. It's probably some people's cup of tea, just not mine.

Millennium Force - Aside from being fast and having a great first drop, it simply doesn't do much.

Lightning Racer - While I thought it was fun and all, I thought it could be a lot better.

Talon - I just don't get the hype this ride gets. I personally found Silver Bullet to be more forceful than it.

Shivering Timbers - Not nearly as much airtime as everyone else says there is.

Without question, Expedition Everest.

The track-switching portions are good in theory, but take way, way too long to happen. As a result, the ride almost feels episodic in nature, and that's not something you should ever be able to say about a coaster. Then of course there's the stationary, strobe-lit Yeti, which is nowhere near as scary as the Abominable Snowman on the Matterhorn, despite the fact it's about four times larger!

The queue for EE, however, is extremely impressive. While the ride is a letdown, the attraction as a whole is a must-see because of the immense amount of detail put into the story. But should a queue ever be more impressive than the roller coaster that follows it? I think not.

Millennium Force - Aside from being fast and having a great first drop, it simply doesn't do much.

Agreed hardily.

Lightning Racer - While I thought it was fun and all, I thought it could be a lot better.

I understand your viewpoint in the ride, but I think the dueling is supposed to compensate what the ride lacks

Talon - I just don't get the hype this ride gets. I personally found Silver Bullet to be more forceful than it

This is where we have to disagree. Talon is right behind the Batman clones on my list of most intense inverts. Tight forceful transitions make me feel like Knott's got cheated with Silver Bullet, which has a forceful helix, and not much else.

I guess I just don't like Maverick because every single transition is so snappy...I'd rather ride Fahrenheit ...

Hardily agree

Not previously mentioned:

Goliath-Six Flags Magic Mountain:

Fun for what it is, but was built to hold a record for 5 weeks. And that 5 week tallest coaster title would cost the park any chance at getting any serious steel airtime behemoth. Other than an insane helix, the ride has one, count it ONE ejector airtime hill. Give it one cool airtime hill and one cool helix, there's just too much track left over that does nothing. The drop isn't at a breathtaking angle (61 degree drop? Hypercoasters that proceeded it are getting standard 80) Thhe hairpin turns create little thrill, but no air, and after the two above mentioned elements, its 4800' that leaves most guests thinking, "That was okay", and most enthusiasts saying "Raging Bull could have fit in this same spot"...

I agree with the many that say Hulk at IOA... but I still enjoy it...

But my real answer is IOAs other coaster duo... Dueling Dragons... I'm not sure what it is that I don't care for in those coasters... they are cool... awesomely timed (when launched together)... Amazing queue... but overall, they just don't "do it" for me... I was there a couple of weeks ago and rode "Fire"... yeah, it was good, but not AMAZING!!!... and can they please plant some shrubs or grass under that ride?!... I know it is supposed to be a desolate battlefield, but good god the surroundings of that ride are ugly... and no I'm not talking about the Potter construction... the IMMEDIATE landscaping... okay... that is enough of my rant... thanks...

Without question, Expedition Everest.

The track-switching portions are good in theory, but take way, way too long to happen. As a result, the ride almost feels episodic in nature, and that's not something you should ever be able to say about a coaster. Then of course there's the stationary, strobe-lit Yeti, which is nowhere near as scary as the Abominable Snowman on the Matterhorn, despite the fact it's about four times larger!

The queue for EE, however, is extremely impressive. While the ride is a letdown, the attraction as a whole is a must-see because of the immense amount of detail put into the story. But should a queue ever be more impressive than the roller coaster that follows it? I think not.

When the Yeti is working it is really dang impressive looking.