TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most Overrated coaster?

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, I'd say the biggest letdown/overrated ride was Alpengeist. The first half of the ride was great, but after that, it was pretty sub-par. I was expecting it to be amazing because of its size and all of the stuff I heard about it, but it was just middle of the pack. I'd rather ride Talon, Raptor, Montu, B:TR, or Great Bear as far as inverts go.

The Comet at Great Escape. Sure it has alot of history and some good airtime, but it's nothing special at all, and is definitely starting to his age more and more. Theres alot better coasters out there.

What, How? That coaster is a living legend it is insane. The airtime is some of the best IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

Riddler's Revenge - A fun coaster while it lasted, but for some reason it made me queasy afterwards, and I hardly ever get nauseous on coasters. Unfortunately, any ride which leaves it's mark on my stomach fails to get a good rating. Riding should be for enjoyment, not punishment.

Rock 'n Roller Coaster - Sustained forces are notable only for their almost complete absence - in fact the only parts one feels pinned to the seat are in the launch and the rollover. With that in mind, Rnrc wouldn't make my Top 10. On the other hand, if the ride were outdoors and the theming were absent, it probably wouldn't make my Top 25.

Incredible Hulk - I actually like this ride a lot - it was my first result from a coaster-related personality quiz and the theming and color scheme are awesome...but other than the launch out of the tube the ride experience didn't seem that different from Silver Bullet at KBF or Scream at SFMM, and it seemed to have a bad case of "B&M rattle". It's certainly too intense for the Average tier, but lacks the necessary credentials to make it a Top 10, thus leaving it in the limbo of Borderline.

Definitely Alpengeist at BGE. I was expecting an amazing coaster and the best inverted coaster ever. It was kind of forceful but it rattled pretty bad and it had bad headbanging. Throughout the cobra roll, the transition into the mcbr, and in the zero-g roll there was bad headbanging. It is still a great coaster don't get me wrong, but I was expecting far better. Talon still easily holds my favorite invert.

I can;t really find any coaster that I've ridden to be a let down. That is not to say that I haven't been on my share of crappy coasters, but I expect different things from different rides. Perfect example is Sierra Sidewinder at Knott's Berry Farm. Fun little ride, but was forgotten about two weeks after it opened. It does deliver however, in the sense that it fits in well with the type of park Knott's is, not every ride can be Millenium Force and not every park can be Magic Mountain. If you can try to look at situations in that light, you might find thinkgs enjoyable you once complained about.

This is kind of a silly thread.

"Best" is an easy enough concept, even if we can't come to a consensus. But for a ride to be "overrated" requires it to be highly rated by most people who aren't you. So asking everyone which rides most other people are wrong about is so subjective as to be pointless, if you think about it.

And as for hyped...doesn't every park hype up its newest addition? I mean, Millennium Force may have been "hyped up" by Cedar Point--but at the same time, King's Island was busy hyping up Son of Beast, and Six Flags Mexico was hyping their new SLC. So which one was the most "over hyped"?

I think I'll just start a thread called "Whose Opinions Are The Most Like Mine?" instead and be done with it.

Ghostrider is the most overhyped coaster I know of (mind you, haven't been to very many parks). It looks nice, and has pretty good queue theming, but the ride is so rickety to be so miserable as to have the "humming voice" effect (go on Mean Streak at Cedar Point and you'll get the same effect). Almost every normal GP I've talked to loves Ghostrider, and perhaps because it is the longest coaster in the park and has the most "airtime" (if can call pain fun). Even before I was an enthusiast, I found this ride to to harsh to enjoy. Overhyped numero uno (for me).

Really for me, its got to be Kumba. I thought it was going to be a really great ride. Don't get me wrong, it still is a great coaster, and I severly love it, but it definitely wasn't smooth in anyway. From all the comments I was hearing about it I was thinking one of the best in the world, but maybe after the long head banging you might be confused so bad you would think so.

Over the yrs Kumba has gotten very rough. I remember when it was smooth. I really do not know if there is a way to bring back the smoothness Kumba use to have but I would certainly would love it

Oh man, I agree with you there. I also remember riding it opening year. Fast forward to Nov. 2007, the last time I rode Kumba, and it's definately not the same ride. I was shocked when my head was banging during the corkscrews. I thought to myself "Not on a B&M!", but I guess time(and Florida weather) can do that to even good coasters like Kumba.

But as far as my take on overrated coasters, I haven't really found one which I didn't expect anything out of the ordinary. The closest for me might be Sheikra and only because of the short length.

Super: Ride of Steel at Darien Lake/ Six Flags America were "uber" lame for me. I was expecting to get some good speed and airtime on the coaster, but I got neither. Half the ride was just straight track and the giant helices were boring as hell (I didn't feel the bone crushing force that a helix should induce). I didn't get a whole lot of airtime either, as the first few hills were too tall and the train lost too much speed for the last few small hills. Honestly, I think riding a bike is more thrilling than the S:ROS at DL/SFA.

I also have to defend S:ROS as SFNE. I just was there this afternoon and rode it (unfortunately only got one ride because my sister got sick. Ended up spending less than 3 hours there... for a 2 1/2 hour drive.). It was fast as ever, the helices were forceful, and the airtime was as good as it gets (and I was in the front).

Ofcourse your going to say S:ROS at DL/SFA is boring and not as thrilling as S:ROS at SFNE. Just because they have the same name, doesn't mean they will be the same ride. S:ROS at SFNE is a all around better ride and everyone knows that.

I'd have to agree that Alpengeist is somewhat overrated. Something about it just seems too fast and it's definitely near the bottom of the B&M inverts; which still means it's very good, I guess.

definitely cyclone at dreamworld australia...........all this hype about the tallest rollercoaster in the southern hemisphere with 3g's and it was crap. Absolutely crap! The drop wasnt even beyond 50 degrees and the loop was rough as hell. And the place with the most g's was the last turn in the ride which wasnt even banked!

I will have to mention two and they are both at BGE. First would be Alpengeist. To be the tallest invert in the world it seriously lacked the thrill and overall fun element to me. It was fun but not amazing like I expected it to be. Montu kills Alpie and Montu is 50 feet shorter. The other would be Apollos Chariot. I guess the reason why this ride is sub par to me is because I had ridden Goliath (SFOG) so many times before I rode AC. Even though the initial drop on AC is bigger then Goliaths, Goliath still slays AC in airtime and fun factor.

Hypersonic XLC. I remember when it was being advertised on TV, they made it look like Kingda Ka at the time. Then we saw how it didn't look like anything on TV. Then about a year later when my friends and I were old enough to ride it, we thought it plain out sucked. It was short and not all that exciting. We waited two hours for it too.

I'll go with Kingda Ka--definite proof that bigger isn't necessarily better. The launch to get up that high hat was so intense that my eyes were plastered shut, and the damn train shakes like a drunk suffering DTs.