TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most Overrated coaster?

Anything at Canada's Wonderland until this year.

At any park in the world, you will never see a longer line for Vekoma clone bommerangs or SLCs.

And there "first flying coaster in Canada" is carnival Volore that makes even the most painful Togo (cough Manhatten Express cough) seem B&M smooth.

I loved Behemoth but could not help after all these years thinking that we don't deserve it for being such sheep.

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

APOLLO'S CHARIOT! I do not see how it is consistently placed in the top 10 year after year. It was one of the most boring rides I have been on. Goliath at SFOG blows Apollo's Chariot out of the water. Nitro isn't too far behind Apollo too.

Hypersonic XLC, hence it being removed.

I dont understand why Beast is so great and high ranked as well.

SROS at SFA is a huge letdown, the helix's are awful. The first drop into a turn is so awesome, and the first hill has sick air, and the end has some beautiful bunny hops, but oh yeah there's those stupid helixs thrown in. I wish they would of had some high speed turns or more airtime hills. It's still one of my top rides just for the start and finish, but the helix's make me sick.

Deja Vu as well, ha.

OH and Raptor is also way over rated. That coaster was almost as rough as a Vekoma!

~Matthew

Thank you! I'm so glad that somebody agrees!

I got on this extremely over-hyped invert, only to experience extreme head-banging and no enjoyment whatsoever. If there is any line for Raptor on my next CP trip, I'll be skipping it...

I like Raptor its in my top ten the only part I didnt like was the snap into the breaks. The rest of it is really intense.

I forgot about Rock 'n Roller Coaster! I thought it wouldn't be that rough but I was wrong. I only gave it one ride in the very back and had to hold onto my camcorder, so that probably accounts for the coaster's roughness. I would like to give it another ride, but as of now it is in my overrated category.

That thing also beat me up and I have no desire to ride it again. Didn't bother last time I went to WDW. So below Disney quality. I hope that the DLP version is better.

I'd throw in 2...

Wild Thing at Valleyfair(!) - I remember back in 1996 this thing was a huge news. Everyone was so hyped up about it and the news, newspaper, ad, etc was talking about it. I even saved all newspaper clips, video, etc of it. When it finally opened, I was very disappointed. Very disappointed that I threw away all of Wild Thing stuff I saved. It just doesn't do for me. The turnaround was very weak. The "record breaking" long zero G hump after the lifthill was a lie. The only best part is bunny hops, that's it.

Griffon at BGE - I was expecting a better layout. The media made this ride sounds exciting and I've heard positive things about Shekira. I promised myself that I will not take a peek at the layout before it opened to the public. The day I got to ride, I was like booooo! Drop, immelman, an immediate MCBR?? Hmm?

There's a lot more to add but 2 is enough for now.

X - I never knew an Arrow would get so much attention and such rave reviews. I mean, maybe in 1980, but today? I haven't been on X2 yet, but I don't really have high expectations. I do love how the long lines at X/X2 keep the other lines that much shorter.

Dueling Dragons - Ok, I am a huge B & M fan, but really, the two actual circuits are fairly basic and rather short. Give me the intensity of CA's two inverts anyday, B:TR at SFMM or Top Gun/Flight Deck at PGA.

Raven - For years I heard about this coaster on TV specials and online. Yet, when I was on it I kept thinking to myself, "It must get really good towards the end!" Honestly, I thought much higher of both Legend and Voyage.

Manhattan Express/Roller Coaster - This is the worst roller coaster with the craziest price. If you haven't been on it, fine, go get your credit. Otherwise, you need to be evaluated if you have ever had a second trip on this thing.

X

Loved it for the unique thrill that I got, but I guess my expectations were a bit too high the first time around... and also, I received nasty bruises (probably from the last raven turn) on my shoulders. I'm going to California in August and hopefully I'll get a chance to see the new and improved X2 with the effects and the music!

Really for me, its got to be Kumba. I thought it was going to be a really great ride. Don't get me wrong, it still is a great coaster, and I severly love it, but it definitely wasn't smooth in anyway. From all the comments I was hearing about it I was thinking one of the best in the world, but maybe after the long head banging you might be confused so bad you would think so.

• 3 weeks later...

Superman Ride of Steel @ Six Flags New England

Judging by the polls, we (me and Nosferatu) seems to be a minority, but after our first ride we both thought "Thats it?". It seemed to be running awfully slow early in the day. It definately got alot better in the evening, but the only really good hill is the one before the twister section. The fact that the ride-ops put pretty much their entire weight on the lapbar (or should I say crotch-bar?) when checking the restraints didnt help much either. It is a very good ride, but I like both Storm Runner and Nitro better and when only one of the hills can compare to El Toro, I dont think it lives up to the hype.

Millennium Force

I don't get what people are saying about how amazing Millennium Force is. I mean don't get me wrong it is a great ride, the drop is great and the ride is just all out fun, but there is really nothing that is so amazing about it. Also I think that all the hype got me really excited for it. You should of seen my face when I got off the ride for the first time. I have never been that disappointed in a long time. Defiantly not a top 3 coaster in my books.

APOLLO'S CHARIOT! I do not see how it is consistently placed in the top 10 year after year. It was one of the most boring rides I have been on. Goliath at SFOG blows Apollo's Chariot out of the water. Nitro isn't too far behind Apollo too.

I gotta completely agree with you there. That managed to be my least favorite coaster at BGE, I expected it to be Nitro quality... as in... floater airtime but nothing really spectacular. There was NOTHING at all besides one hill (if you sit in the back). So if you want a somewhat enjoyable ride.. sit in the back

X. I was so excited for this ride and followed its construction closely online. Then I rode it... what? That's it? It's that slow? This is the ride that closed up a great coaster company?

Disaster Transport. OK, this doesn't get rated or overrated these days, but if you'll follow me back a couple decades..... have you ever watched a friend enjoy doing something so stupid and humiliating in public that it is apparent he or she is completely oblivious to how stupid and pathetic it looks to the people around them? And it's so embarrassing that you are actually embarrassed yourself because of the likelihood--no matter how slight--of someone else knowing that you are friends with The Idiot?

Well, that friend is Cedar Point and that stupid thing is Disaster Transport.

When I was growing up in Michigan, I would always take a friend with my family to Cedar Point... any time it was someone new that I hadn't been to the park with before, I would have to pretend that I didn't know what Disaster Transport was. "What? When did they get this? I was here last year and didn't even see it! I wonder if it is a test version of something they want to build later..."

Is there a "Best overly bashed coasters" thread?

I finally rode MF for the first time ever this past Thursday/Friday - and loved it! I got seven rides over two days, three in the front, 1 in the back and three more in the middle. The lift hill is great, no noisy clanking with the elevator lift, and the first drop in the front seat is practically a religious experience. The speed never lets up, there are a few good floater (if not ejector) hills, and how many rides manage an overbanked turn on the turnaround to the station?? Yet it still stops gracefully at the station and doesn't slam you into the restraints like some rides.

Yes, it's not an airtime monster - but then I think airtime is probably an overhyped ride quality anyway. It's important but not the only thing I look for in a coaster. MF has a couple decent pops of air, anyway. It's fast, fun, and tied with SFNE S:ROS as my #1 now.

Maverick, now that was overhyped. The restraints kept whacking into my neck, and while it was fun I didn't even bother a reride, while I couldn't get enough of MF. I like TTD more than Mav. Maybe I'm just a speed freak.

Geez...you hardcore coaster folks have gotten so picky, picky, picky about your riding experiences it seems. All this fuss about air-time With my budget, I'm happy to ride any coasters at all in the summer (Except Predator at DL...that thing could break bones)

I loved MF, but then again the last time I rode it was in 2002, so maybe the experience has changed since then. *Shrugs*

There is no most overrated coaster to me...I'll go any that doesn't provide an excruciating amount of pain.

Super: Ride of Steel at Darien Lake/ Six Flags America were "uber" lame for me. I was expecting to get some good speed and airtime on the coaster, but I got neither. Half the ride was just straight track and the giant helices were boring as hell (I didn't feel the bone crushing force that a helix should induce). I didn't get a whole lot of airtime either, as the first few hills were too tall and the train lost too much speed for the last few small hills. Honestly, I think riding a bike is more thrilling than the S:ROS at DL/SFA.

I also have to defend S:ROS as SFNE. I just was there this afternoon and rode it (unfortunately only got one ride because my sister got sick. Ended up spending less than 3 hours there... for a 2 1/2 hour drive.). It was fast as ever, the helices were forceful, and the airtime was as good as it gets (and I was in the front).

Really for me, its got to be Kumba. I thought it was going to be a really great ride. Don't get me wrong, it still is a great coaster, and I severly love it, but it definitely wasn't smooth in anyway. From all the comments I was hearing about it I was thinking one of the best in the world, but maybe after the long head banging you might be confused so bad you would think so.

Over the yrs Kumba has gotten very rough. I remember when it was smooth. I really do not know if there is a way to bring back the smoothness kumba use to have but I would certainly would love it

Geez...you hardcore coaster folks have gotten so picky, picky, picky about your riding experiences it seems. All this fuss about air-time With my budget, I'm happy to ride any coasters at all in the summer (Except Predator at DL...that thing could break bones)

I loved MF, but then again the last time I rode it was in 2002, so maybe the experience has changed since then. *Shrugs*

There is no most overrated coaster to me...I'll go any that doesn't provide an excruciating amount of pain.

I hear ya. I'm starting to think enthusiast should be replaced with elitist. You hear "burn it down" as much as "I love this ride" now. But it's like that with all groups. Ever tried to love movies on internet movie database?

Anyways, I don't get the hype about Volcano at KD. Yeah, it's in a big hollow mountain, but really it's so short and required the removal of three better rides to build it.

I wouldn't necessarily call it "elitism". Some rides are good, some rides are great, and some rides aren't worth riding.

Millennium Force was GREAT when I rode it in 2000, but it was because of it's monumental size (at the time), speed, and scope, but also because I hadn't ridden that many coaster's yet. Now, 8 years later, it still delivers a great ride, but there are a lot of new coasters that are much better, taller, faster, etc.

A lot of people also look for certain things. For me, I want intensity and airtime. Goliath at SFMM is high up on my favorites list because of its "helix from hell". S:ROS is at the top because it has the best blend of speed, intensity, and airtime. El Toro also. Millennium Force is fast and has some spots of intensity (bottom of first drop), but it lacks airtime and overall intensity. For most enthusiasts, airtime is the name of the game when it comes to hypercoasters and wooden coasters.

Over the yrs Kumba has gotten very rough. I remember when it was smooth. I really do not know if there is a way to bring back the smoothness kumba use to have but I would certainly would love it

^ Kumba has gotten rogher, but it can be better depending how you ride it. If you keep your head back against the seat rest, you feel a lot more of the vibrations, and are a lot more suceptable to head banging. I've found that if you stick your head out of the OTSRs and brace properly, you can avoid all head banging, even in the corkscrews.