TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most Overrated coaster?

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raven, on the other hand, is THE most over-hyped coaster I've ever ridden...IMO, that is.

Seconded. It's very similar to Cyclops at Mt. Olympus, but I doubt I'd hear many enthusiasts mention those two rides in the same sentence. The Raven's still a very good ride, but I'm not one of those who "gets it." It just seems like it's missing about 1,000 feet of track.

On the steel side, I'm afraid Magnum's suffering from age and long memory. I'm sure it was the balls when it was newer, and my first rides on it in 1998 were outstanding. But it felt like Washboard: The Ride when I rode it in 2003. It definitely gets more mileage out of its reputation than it does from its current state.

Seconded. It's very similar to Cyclops at Mt. Olympus, but I doubt I'd hear many enthusiasts mention those two rides in the same sentence. The Raven's still a very good ride, but I'm not one of those who "gets it." It just seems like it's missing about 1,000 feet of track.

I don't see the similarity to Cyclops at all. Raven has a fierce pace from start to finish. Cyclops just meanders around for a bit until you hit that awesome last drop.

Raven is very much a back seat ride. It consistently delivers very fun rides and the night ride is spectacular. I think it's one of those rides that you really have to ride several times, particularly at night, for it to really shine. It sunk in for me last August after several night rides.

Magnum - Painful

Millennium Force - Wayyyy too much wasted speed, but still a very fun ride. Nothing like it was billed to be, however.

The Beast - Borefest.

(And I'm gonna get shanked for this) El Toro - Very solid #2 wood, intense and scary airtime...But there's so much lacking. I was under the impression it was the end-all to wooden coasters, but I got off the ride saying "That's it?" The first drop up until the 4th hill (which does NOTHING) is insane, and the Thunder hill is ridiculous as well. But between the 4th hill and that hill, and after the first intial turns in the Figure 8, it putters out.

I don't see the similarity to Cyclops at all. Raven has a fierce pace from start to finish. Cyclops just meanders around for a bit until you hit that awesome last drop.

Raven is very much a back seat ride. It consistently delivers very fun rides and the night ride is spectacular. I think it's one of those rides that you really have to ride several times, particularly at night, for it to really shine. It sunk in for me last August after several night rides.

I rode Raven several times, at night, and in the back. I'm just not one of those people who gets it (disclosure: I am one of those people who gets the Beast). And I found Cyclops to be similar in that both have a few short drops, a big turn, and a large, mid-ride drop. It's not a clone by any means, but the rides share some superficial similarities. I rode them about six weeks apart, and I couldn't help but draw comparisons.

And the last two posts illustrate an excellent point... it all comes down to preference. One says Voyage is overrated, and one says El Toro is overrated. But they take the top two spots on Mitch's poll, meaning that most people who've ridden them prefer at least one (if not both) of those rides to every other wooden coaster they've ridden.

^I don't hear much about El Toro being overrated. I do plenty about Voyage and Thunderhead(my god i thought it was gonna be amazing but it was just a great coaster with lotsa turns). I wanna ride both Voyage and El Toro something awful though too bad there like 7 hours from where I live and $4 dollar gas prices dont get along with me and my ford Explorer.

I think all of the coasters at both Busch Gardens parks are over-rated. Except Montu.

How............dare you BGEs coasters are all AMAZING.

Overrated Coaster id have to say.....Magnum XL-200....its fun but not a top 10 coaster.

um... LOL!!!! Ok, here is what I think about BGE's coasters:

1. Loch Ness Monster - boring and weird layout but the helix is cool.

2. Griffon - Everyone said how awesome it was but it is a ride I could fall asleep on. I need some g's to keep me awake.

3. Alpengeist - another big forceless B&M

4. BBW - The first time I rode, I thought WTF?! Wander wander wander to the lift, then some boring stuff, then an awesome last drop and done. Too short, and doesn't do enough.

5. Apollo's Chariot - WHOOPS I forgot about this one! I love Apollo!

:EDIT: While I'm at it, why not run down what I think is over rated at BGT!

1. Sheikra - another overhyped forceless dive machine

2. Kumba - this was the biggest disappointment for me. Sure it's forceful, but it's so ROUGH and banged my head around so much I couldn't enjoy it.

Off topic...

Maybe a Morgan upgrade (see Phantom's Revenge) could pick Magnum back up to its former state?

Just an idea...

Magnum is in it's former state, it's just that technology has surpassed it.

If anything the ride is smoother then when it opened and I rode it when it opened.

I feel that Superman: Krypton Coaster at Fiesta Texas is over-rated. Yeah it is cool in that it has a good location etc. But as far as the ride goes, it is just stretched out and kind of meanders its way around the entire course. The only good part is the drop off the MCBR if they don't trim your train there. Sometimes they do, other times they don't and when they don't, there is a nice pop of airtime there. Other than that, the ride is just meh, at best.

No doubt Goliath at SFLR. Well, It was hyped up here in Canada anyway. For last year it was the tallest and fastest in Canada I think (correct me if I'm wrong). But anyway, It was my first B&M and, I have to say, It left a flat out awful first impression. It did have some nice light floater airtime on the first drop, and being so close to the water was a cool feeling, but over all It was a pretty tame ride for all the hype. It was dare I say "boring" even. Mind you directly after that I did ride one of B&M's triumphs; The batman Clone, Canadian style. That restored my hope in B&M. But i do see that a definite trend in B&M hypers is that they're all too..... whats the word; graceful. Provided some are great; like Apollo's Chariot. But anyway, Goliath gets my choice for the most over rated. It'll be interesting to see how Behemoth stacks up with those new trains.

Some of this is retro for a lot of the younger crowd, but I will post my "over-rated coasters" as I was growing up till the present:

#1 - Disaster Transport @ Cedar Point - I did not even ride it the year that they enclosed it after Avalanche Run. My sister and her husband waited almost three hours in line for it and just had a "wtf" reaction. I didn't bother that year and waited for the hype to die. Rode it a couple years later and had the same "wtf" reaction.

#2 - Space Mountain @ Disney World/Land during the eighties- Rode both of these when I was relatively young and still couldn't get over the fact that this seemed to be like the CP Wildcat indoors with strobe and lighting effects...lame. Matterhorn kicked this coasters ass all over the place!

#3 - Iron Dragon @ Cedar Point - When I got the brochure in '87, I was pumped because I remember it looking like it was going to be like Big Bad Wolf. Turned out to be more like Big Bad Fail after waiting an eternity to ride what amounts to nothing more than a speedy monorail. I remember thinking, "They took out the Skyride to Frontier Land for this???"

#4 - Kingda Ka @ SFGA - Nice blatant rip-off of TTD to claim the title of highest roller coaster from CP. This coaster was down more than it was up the first couple of years and ya gotta love those OTSR's! EEEEK!!!!

#5 - (I know that I am going to get ripped for this) - Tatsu @ SFMM - Horrible operations, oppressive heat, line jumpers, and long lines mostly ruined this one for me. I know that this is not what makes a coaster, but it definitely did not add to the appeal of the overall experience. Apart from the strange feeling you get on the first lift, the first drop, and the one crazy invert/dive/loop, I did not think that this coaster was any better than a standard invert. I would much rather ride a floorless or an invert than this coaster. I just didn't feel comfortable riding this at all and did not understand all of the previous hype. Give me Nitro, Raptor, or Apollo's Chariot any day of the week!

#6 - Thunderbolt @ Kennywood (another forthcoming whoopin')- Fun wooden, nostalgic coaster, but I could not believe that this was ranked the #1 wooden coaster back in the eighties and nineties on the Discovery Channel shows. Big Dipper at GL beats this coaster into submission for historic coasters! I rode in the front and the back seats and did not get much airtime at all..fun ride, but not in the Top Ten wooden coaster category. Not even close...

#7 - X @ SFMM - A four hour and a half hour wait?? I'm sorry, but no coaster is worth that...guess that I am getting too old and grumpy, but I passed on this even though I live more than 2,000 miles away! I would like to ride it one day, but that line was preposterous! 4-D with a 4 hour wait?? ISSSHHHH!!!!

I haven't ridden many coasters but the one I was most disappointed in was The Hulk. I was looking forward to it my whole trip to Universal and it was a big let down. I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Dueling dragons was a much cooler ride to me.

I think wildcat at hershey is slightly overrated. It's to rough of a ride to enjoy for me.

I'm going to be different and say that The Phoenix at Knoebels gets my vote. I've grown up in the area so maybe I'm biased, but so many people say great things about the Phoenix and how it is such an amazing coaster and everything, but to me it just isn't. It really seems to be more or less a standard out and back woodie and I cannot see what is so special about it. So kill me if you must, but I really can't see why everyone likes the Phoenix so much.

I think wildcat at hershey is slightly overrated. It's to rough of a ride to enjoy for me.

Agreed. I was very underwhelmed by this coaster. I had heard so many great reviews and it just didn't deliver. However, for me, it wasn't so much that it was too rough, but that it just wasn't that great. It didn't have the numerous pops of airtime that I've grown to known GCI for. It was still a good ride with a great drop, but the never ending turns became predictable for once. It is the uncontested worst GCI I've been on yet. But again, a bad GCI is still a pretty good coaster. Overrated though.

^I agree with everyone that said Magnum. I had high hopes for the ride, but found it nothing but a lot of pain. It was one of the worst coasters in CP IMO.

In response to another poster, I thought Goliath at La Ronde was a pretty good ride. Given its location, they did as much as they could with the ride. It gives some good airtime and uses the land well. Sure it isn't one of B&M's best coasters, but have you looked at La Ronde lately? Goliath was a great addition to that disaster of a park.

Lightning Racer. I just don't get this ride. It looked really cool, but I don't really see a point in it. It just seemed big and forceless to me.

I also thought Dueling Dragons was slightly overrated. It's still great, but just not as great as people say it is.

Personally I think that Maverick was the biggest over-rated coaster ever!! HAHA! Just kidding Maverick is the best. I honestly think MF is way over rated. All it has going on is the first drop, after that it is pretty much boring. OH and Raptor is also way over rated. That coaster was almost as rough as a Vekoma!

~Matthew

I wouldn't call El Toro a let down, but it wasn't as good as I expected. Still good enough to be my number one wooden coaster (just by a little, though), and the most airtime I have ever experienced on any coaster, but I think I had my expectations for it set a little too high. The wooden coaster that El Toro just beats out for my favorite is the Beast at Kings Island. The Beast is only "OMFG AMAZING!!!" at night, during the day it's just average, in my opinion. El Toro is "OMFG AMAZING!!!" 24 hours of the day, 7 days of the week.

OH and Raptor is also way over rated. That coaster was almost as rough as a Vekoma!

~Matthew

Thank you! I'm so glad that somebody agrees!

I got on this extremely over-hyped invert, only to experience extreme head-banging and no enjoyment whatsoever. If there is any line for Raptor on my next CP trip, I'll be skipping it...