TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most Overrated coaster?

RITA, i don't understand the hype surrounding it. Sure, the launch was good, but otherwise it was really rough.

AMEN! I got off of that ride thinking THAT WAS IT????? WTF?

The other rides at Alton are amazing. I was truly bummed by Rita. It was the only coaster I rode there that I didn't do more than once.

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And actually... after just watching the POV videos for MF versus Nitro, I dont see how you can possibly say nitro has more airtime... maybe POSSIBLY over the bunny hills at the end, but MF is WAY faster over the main hills than Nitro... go take a look on youtube if you don't believe me.

You obviously don't know much about how airtime is generated. The speed of the coaster is only one factor in determining airtime. The size if the hill matters. The shape of the hill matters. The restraints matter. You can't just judge how much airtime a coaster has by watching the POV. Go ride Nitro, and then say it's airtime is not comparable to MF.

I realize that airtime is a result of both speed and the concavity of the hill... BUT, Nitro is hardly even moving at the top of the main hills. I remember it having decent airtime but not great and from the POV I can't see how it could have any. Millenium Force, on the other hand, is hauling.

And actually... after just watching the POV videos for MF versus Nitro, I dont see how you can possibly say nitro has more airtime... maybe POSSIBLY over the bunny hills at the end, but MF is WAY faster over the main hills than Nitro... go take a look on youtube if you don't believe me.

Bwahahahahahaha. You're comparing the rides by watching POVs? Talk about losing credibility.

Ride Nitro, and then get back with me.

I've ridden Nitro, but my memory is not good enough to compare every little detail, so I consulted the video. Nitro is clearly slower over the crests of the hills -- like, not even close to the speed MF goes through the overbanks.

I thought nitro was a great ride, but not "wow, that was a truly unparalleled experience." In fact, it reminded my a LOT of Goliath.

The first time I rode MF, I thought "wow, that was something really special."

Heck, I like CP's Wildcat more than MF. And I'm not making that up. MF is a snore fest that needs a lot more airtime.

Too bad Wildcat kills your knees. Hurts just thinking about it. I'm only 6'1" and it hurt pretty bad.

As for MF, I think it's overrated now, but not in it's early years. It's getting too shakey now, it vibrates too much, and has become a rough ride. I'll still ride it multiple times when I go to CP, but I won't enjoy it as much as I did, say, 5 years ago.

I would say most of Cedar Point’s coaster’s.

Kind of like meeting that hot girl at the bar, everything builds up and when the time comes it’s really a dude in drag.

dammit.

CP is pretty big in the marketing whore department, everything is a record and only a few of the coasters are good. I have to stick with this park for the most overrated selection of coasters.

I would have to say Alpengeist is the most overrated coaster I have ever ridden. Don't get me wrong it was a great ride but it wasn't the amazing coaster a lot of people make it out to be. The ride was rough and wasn't that intense. I also rode it three times, once in the front, middle, and back, but it just didn't do it for me. Give me Talon any day over it.

Kind of like meeting that hot girl at the bar, everything builds up and when the time comes it’s really a dude in drag.

dammit.

Yes, but at least you can stick around and ride what Cedar Point has to offer, because you'd still never feel as guilty or embarrassed as the alternative you mention. Just a thought.

I have a list going on here...

1) Millennium Force - I though this ride was incredibly overrated. I did not enjoy it in the back seeing as i got minimal airtime and you did not get any sense of speed or height. I greatly prefered it in the front because of the speed and feeling of height, not the airtime (which was nonexistant). Back 4/10, Front 7/10

2) Storm Rummer - I really enjoyed what Storm Runner had to offer, I was just let down because of the length of the ride (and possibly because I was at Geauga Lake and Cedar Point for the previous 3 days...).

3) Magnum - Someone told me that I was supposed to ride in the 3rd row because it was the "ejector" seat. Alright, I did that. The ride was overal boring and rough UNTIL the 2nd bunny hop. That is where i experienced the most intense, painful moment of airtime in my entire coaster riding life. OW. When we went over that hill you heard my friend and I ,"OHHWWWW".

Thats it about for my list seeing as I went on most other coasters not expecting much, or my expectations were satisfied.

3) Magnum - Someone told me that I was supposed to ride in the 3rd row because it was the "ejector" seat. Alright, I did that. The ride was overal boring and rough UNTIL the 2nd bunny hop. That is where i experienced the most intense, painful moment of airtime in my entire coaster riding life

You and me both, dude. I had always loved the ride until somebody told me that I needed to ride in the 3rd row. That was one of the single worst coaster rides I have ever had. The pain was so extreme. I thought my femurs were going to shatter over every hill. Ever since, I just stick to the back half of the train. I've never really had a problem back there.

As for other rides I think are overrated:

Mummy (USF)- I had heard so many people talk about how great of a ride it is and that I had to do it. Yeah, it was a fun ride, but it wasn't anything that overly impressed me. Granted, I did only get one ride on it. But given that one ride, I'd much rather have a ride on something like Italian Job.

Wildcat (Hershey)- I have seen this coaster in so many top ten lists and heard so many people talk about how it's one of the best GCI's. Again, it's a fun ride, but nothing about it wowed me. The first drop was pretty sweet, but then the ride didn't do anything that spectacular. Everything was fairly predictable and there was absolutely no GCI airtime to be found. Maybe I just had a bad ride on it though.

Big Bad Wolf at BGE..

I really REALLY wanted this ride to be amazing. I rode Ninja at SFMM a couple months before I rode BBW, and Ninja was incredible. I got in the front seat of BBW and went up the chain.

All was shaky. The ending drop was very shaky, but was amazing.

Then I rode in the back of the train. The ride was pretty much the same. The ending drop was better however!

My second overrated coaster is...

Vertigo at Walibi Belgium

I was watching this coaster being built. I saw it testing. IT LOOKED AMAZING!!!!

I rode it, and it was fun and all. But it didn't fill my 'excitement spot'.

--James

My second overrated coaster is...

Vertigo at Walibi Belgium

Totally agree. So much more could have been done with the concept too, it was like a freakish mix between an arrow suspended, and, well, a chairlift.

While it is "fun", everything is just so gradual and the pace also could have been a tad bit quicker.

Plus, the ride was built in between operators, Star Parks Europe started the plans for Vertigo, and Compagnie des Alpes, quite reluctantly, finished it.

Yeah, pretty overrated, overall. Doesn't live up to the 'hype.' - even though there isn't much hype about it, yet, since it had a soft opening.

The Voyage

I have no idea how it gets ranked so high on various lists.

Everyone likes different things... Voyage is easily my #1 out of 483 coasters. It does everything I want a wood coaster to do, and does it to extremes. Simple as that.

However, I must say that if Boardwalk Bullet reopens next year pulling the sorts of speed and airtime numbers they're predicting, I might just have a new #1 coaster in 2008....

dammit.

CP is pretty big in the marketing whore department, everything is a record and only a few of the coasters are good. I have to stick with this park for the most overrated selection of coasters.

Couldn't agree more. Which is why when it comes to coasters I've always thought Magic Mountain had the "kick in the nads" rides.

Most overrated coaster overall has to be Millennium Force. I waited 5 years to get on this thing, waited 3 hours at the park, sat in the back seat and...

Nothing. No airtime, no forces, and a lame layout. Man, I'll never forget how disappointed I was. But I kind of feel that way with all of CP's coasters. Raptor, Mantis, Iron Dragon, the Mine Ride, Magnum, all came in sub par for me. However I did like Blue Streak and TTD. The forces of the launch were just so unbelievable.

• 5 months later...

Most overrated coasters (overrated by the GP, that is):

Millennium Force- decent first drop, the rest of the ride is a snooze-fest with little, if any, airtime, and the blazing speed gets boring right after the first overbanked turn. Come on, Cedar Point, you can do better than that.

Kingda Ka- This coaster once again confirms that the GP believes bigger = scarier. How foolish. Actually, it almost seems at times that bigger = lamer.

Superman Krypton Coaster

I had heard so many people say this is the best floorless coaster and I am just completely baffled by this. The drop was pretty cool, but everything else was just sub-par. It just felt too spread out and lacked intensity. Out of the four floorless coasters I've been on, it is the uncontested worst. I don't think I've ever had a coaster fall so short of the hype before.

Alpengeist. Out of the 7 custom B&M inverts I've been on it was by far the worst. The cobra roll was rough as hell and the ride as a whole just wasn't very enjoyable. Since Busch has such a good track record when it comes to their B&M's, I was really disappointed with how bad of a ride Alpengeist was, especially when you take into account its huge size. I think on the day I visited BGE I rode Apollo's Chariot 8 times, and only gave Alpengeist 2 rides (one of which was a front row ride).

Does no one here think that Griffon is overrated? I do not see why people love it so much..the first drop is fun, but other than that, it is just way to short. It didn't thrill me much at all. It is pretty fun, but I wouldn't wait more than thirty minutes to ride it. In my two days at BGE, I rode Griffon six times and Apollo's Chariot thirty-five times. Griffon lost its awesomeness to me while I was heading up the hill to the MCBR the first time I rode it. Apollo's Chariot was just as good the thirty-fifth time as it was the first. I would ride Apollo over Griffon any day.