TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most Overrated coaster?

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was Alpengeist for me. It's gorgeous and massive but it rode rather "meh" for me. The flow of elements didn't feel natural like it did on other inverts I'd ridden. Still a great coaster, but not one of the best inverts ever like I had been led to believe.

This has probably been said for half the posts on this thread, but Millenium Force is THE definition of overrated. #1 ride in the world my A$$, it barely pushes 3rd best ride in the park

Dwight would like a word with you...

That is all...

This has probably been said for half the posts on this thread, but Millenium Force is THE definition of overrated. #1 ride in the world my A$$, it barely pushes 3rd best ride in the park

That is all...

With all due respect, MF is the third-best ride in the park IMO (#1 is Maverick, and #2 is Raptor). That being said, it's a close third.

That is all...

With all due respect, MF is the third-best ride in the park IMO (#1 is Maverick, and #2 is Raptor). That being said, it's a close third.

Well, it's all a matter of personal opinion, as I don't have Raptor in my top 5 at Cedar Point! In fact, you just gave me another answer for another frequently overrated coaster!

I think Batman clones are a little overrated sometimes. They're fun, but really not something I'd reride unless the front few rows had short lines as anywhere near the back and it loses a decent amount of its rerideability. I'd assume other fast-paced intense inverts are like this as well.

-Banshee- It may be because I'm not a huge fan of inverts (mostly because I like rides where you can see things other than the back of the car in front of you), but Banshee was fun but not mind-blowing like some made it out to be.

-Raptor- Just not a fan, mostly for same reasons as Banshee.

-The Beast- Glorified mine train, no airtime, just plain boring. Hopefully a night ride one day will change my mind.

-HellCat- Just rough as hell, far worse than Hades 360, which I actually enjoyed.

And while I like it a lot (my #3 woodie):

El Toro

The first drop through the twists is possibly the best section of any coaster EVER. The best airtime I've ever experienced. The last three hills were extremely tame in comparison though. Nice floater, but in comparison to the beginning of the ride it's just a let down. Great ride overall, but with a better ending it could've been the best coaster in the world.

^Im just trying to get this through my mind without my brain vomiting on me... the last three airtime hills on El Toro include the pullout of the turnaround, the *floater* airtime hill (intended to be different than the ejector hills), and the RT crossover.

Are you saying that the RT hill is tame/"floater"? Interesting opinion, for sure. Physics disagrees.

^Im just trying to get this through my mind without my brain vomiting on me... the last three airtime hills on El Toro include the pullout of the turnaround, the *floater* airtime hill (intended to be different than the ejector hills), and the RT crossover.

Are you saying that the RT hill is tame/"floater"? Interesting opinion, for sure. Physics disagrees.

The RT crossover hill is before the twists. That hill has the most insane airtime I've ever experienced.

I'm talking about the hills after the twists leading into the brakes, which I stated clearly in my post. They're fun but should've been designed to be stronger like the ones at the beginning of the ride.

Maybe read a post before you respond to it. I clearly said "the drop to the twists" are insane. The three hills at the end leading into the brakes are not.

^By "twist" I assumed you meant turnaround. I read the post but it wasn't clear, so my apologies... no need to be sassy.

But yeah after the twister section I don't think they ever really intended for that to be notable in terms of airtime. Maybe I'm biased but I've always been content with the RT crossover being the last "holy sh!t" of airtime.

-The Beast- Glorified mine train, no airtime, just plain boring. Hopefully a night ride one day will change my mind.

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I am really with you here, regarding The Beast in the daytime. It's definitely nowhere near a top wooden coaster, let alone a top coaster overall! Now The Beast at night, on the other hand... You definitely need to make sure to get a ride on it then at some point!

^By "twist" I assumed you meant turnaround. My apologies... no need to be sassy.

But yeah after the twister section I don't think they ever really intended for that to be notable in terms of airtime. Maybe I'm biased but I've always been content with the RT crossover being the last "holy sh!t" of airtime.

My apologies as well, just trying to defend myself.

I think it's a personal thing though. The two wooden coasters I like more, Outlaw Run and The Voyage, both have killer endings that are just as insane as any other part of the ride. Outlaw Run has it's double barrel roll and Voyage is just amazingly well designed in that it never lets up until you hit the final brakes.

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I am really with you here, regarding The Beast in the daytime. It's definitely nowhere near a top wooden coaster, let alone a top coaster overall! Now The Beast at night, on the other hand... You definitely need to make sure to get a ride on it then at some point!

I don't think Beast during the day has any amount of hype at all, that's a pretty popular opinion. I don't know if I'll end up riding Beast during the day at all on my KI trip.

Wild thing at Valleyfair. Well, not that overrated, as I've heard many people say it's borIng. Though, saying it is boring is overrating it.

It's not the most boring ride period, but as far as hyper coasters go, wild thing is a snooze fest. Whenever I ride it, there is rarely any excitement of any sort from any of the riders when it ends. It's all silent

I don't think Beast during the day has any amount of hype at all, that's a pretty popular opinion. I don't know if I'll end up riding Beast during the day at all on my KI trip.

I guess what I'm getting at is the fact I see many people still rank it highly overall, or among woodies, and that is likely on the basis of its night rides. However, I think if a ride has to be ridden at night to be deserving of a high ranking, it's not deserving of a high ranking. I love The Beast at night, and if I was ranking favorite coasters to ride specifically at night, it'd be in the Top 5 for sure! But to me at least, it seems as if people overrate its overall value, based on night rides alone, which is what I was referring to...

Magnum XL-200. This ride is surviving on nostalgia alone. Even more painful than Skyrush.

You just need to learn the trick to riding it. I use to HATE Magnum. . . But now that I have learned how to ride it. . . I LOVE it!

Magnum XL-200. This ride is surviving on nostalgia alone. Even more painful than Skyrush.

You just need to learn the trick to riding it. I use to HATE Magnum. . . But now that I have learned how to ride it. . . I LOVE it!

I find it's a back row ride at best, as long as you clinch onto the lap bar during the bunny hops. All they have to do is to wrap some sort of padding around the lap bars and it would actually be an awesome coaster.

^ Is there any row in the middle of it, that's not bad to ride, either?

I'm not one to have to be in the front or the back row, but happy to be

near the front, if possible. But not too near the back.

Thank you!

FWIW, regarding best place to ride, I think either very front row, or the first row of the last car, are the most comfortable. A nice mix of very good airtime, without it being a painful and upsetting experience. I don't ever wait for the front, so the first row of the last car is my typical riding spot, and I enjoy a spin on Magnum each visit usually. But it certainly is overrated in enthusiast circles, in my opinion!

My rides this week on Magnum were awesome! Seriously, just tighten the seatbelt as much as possible, I had no thigh pain at all and I was hands up the whole ride. I also make sure I'm in the middle of a car, no wheel seat.

^I've actually found the front rows to be better than the middle seat, personally, and have been riding it since the early 90's. But it definitely seems like a fickle beast, doling out varied rides for varied people...