TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most Overrated coaster?

X2 should be melted down and buried into a hole so deep that it stretches all the way to hell where that thing belongs. Love you Alan Schilke but why?

Because it was an amazing concept but was designed almost two decades too early. However if it weren't for X2 there would be no Intamin ZacSpins

If X2 paved the way for Green Lantern then that only adds to how much it sucks.

You may be right, but they are popular and therefore X2 has it's place

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goliath is a great ride, as it is in my top 10, but it is really overrated. First off, the drop is horrible. It is very shallow and provides no airtime. Also, the ride is rather short.

Which "Goliath"? There's a woodie, a hyper, a B&M invert, and a GIB

Expedition G-Force. Don't get me wrong, it's a great ride, with one of the best first drops in the world and some decent airtime; but I don't get the hype.

To me, Goliath @ Walibi Holland is as good as EGF. The whole ride just didn't amaze me like some others (Black Mamba, El Toro SFGAdv and Maverick) did.

Enthusiasts-Batman:The Ride: Here's my thing about Batman; it's too forceful for too long. Don't get me wrong, I like forceful rides. However, I love seeing a range of forcefulness. For instance, look at Tatu's pretzel loop. Before you enter it, the g-force isn't very strong. However, during the pretzel loop the g-force crushes you. Then, once you exit the pretzel loop, the g-force lowers again. I like this, as it doesn't make the whole ride have the same feeling. However, Batman is always intense. No part of this ride gives you a chance to breath or, through contrast, makes you realize how forceful the ride actually is. All the ride is is bland intensity.

This was one of the arguments is saying i305 was overrated. I think you are very right - it requires a dynamic range of forces to make the ride interesting.

Being said, what about the inversions on Batman? Do they not make the ride even a little more interesting? In particular, the zero-g roll is fantastic, and the loops are some of the best out there just by their size and placement. I think that the figure eight immediately after the second loop is also a necessary break following the intense beginning and upcoming intense finale.

Goliath is a great ride, as it is in my top 10, but it is really overrated. First off, the drop is horrible. It is very shallow and provides no airtime. Also, the ride is rather short.

Which "Goliath"? There's a woodie, a hyper, a B&M invert, and a GIB

Sorry, the one at SFMM

Being said, what about the inversions on Batman? Do they not make the ride even a little more interesting? In particular, the zero-g roll is fantastic, and the loops are some of the best out there just by their size and placement. I think that the figure eight immediately after the second loop is also a necessary break following the intense beginning and upcoming intense finale.

I didn't say that I don't like Batman, but I said that its overrated. I think it's the 9th best coaster at SFMM, while I've read some lists that put it as the 6th best coaster in the park.

I'm a huge fan of both Millennium Force and I-305. Initially I was a little underwhelmed by I-305 (as Prozach mentioned it runs one train fairly often and the location sucks. I don't hate the theming but it's not a strong point for me. Recently though after riding I-305 a lot more and having season passes this year I've come to appreciate it a hell of a lot more. I still grey out every single ride, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I sit in row 16 every chance I can get and when it's running well the airtime is really really strong.

No, the location isn't good, but I try to take the ride for what it is, and it helps more than a little when you rarely have to wait more than 20 minutes. The directional changes get me every time--I actually try to lean away just slightly to amplify that feeling since headbanging is a non-issue. When you focus entirely on the individual elements of the ride and not everything else that's minor nitpicks in relation to the ride as a whole, I-305 is almost as good as it gets and I always come off thinking "that's why I invest so much into this dumb hobby."

As for Millennium Force, it's almost the opposite reasoning. Each individual element (other than maybe the first drop) isn't incredible, but the entire package is what coaster riding should be about. Plain and simple, nothing over the top, just a lot of speed, smoothness, some floater airtime thrown in, and a great sense of travel during the ride. It's a ride you can just kick back, throw your hands up and laugh. It makes me feel like I'm eight years old again.

Night rides are where I really appreciate the coaster to put it in my top five though. That drop at night in the back seat... There's just a lot of really special memories I have riding MF at night. Maybe that special "feeling" I get comes from anticipation, since planning trips to that park aren't a quick deal for me, but the ride just feels like it encapsulates everything I love about coasters and takes all the worries away, for at least a couple minutes.

I probably just lost all of my cool points at the end there but there's something special about Millennium Force (for me, anyhow).

This. Well said my friend.

I think it's the 9th best coaster at SFMM, while I've read some lists that put it as the 6th best coaster in the park.

That statement just seems ridiculous to me on so many levels.

The part about it being 9th or being 6th?

I think it's the 9th best coaster at SFMM, while I've read some lists that put it as the 6th best coaster in the park.

Nah man. It's cool though.

nick.gif.4bbb2c07de9417fe658686ccc5c11fad.gif

I need to go back to SFNE this summer- as I was underwhelmed by Superman......

I was on it back in 2003 or 2004? Got off the ride, and was like that's it? Again- based on all the great credit it gets, I must have "missed" something that day....

200.gif.4922376863dd2b4ec471e724cd2131ac.gif

Yes.

For me, I thought Beast was overrated, but it started raining just as I was about to get a famed 'night ride' on it. Also thought Banshee was a bit overrated, but then again, I only rode it a few times, at the beginning of the day.

I need to go back to SFNE this summer- as I was underwhelmed by Superman......

I was on it back in 2003 or 2004? Got off the ride, and was like that's it? Again- based on all the great credit it gets, I must have "missed" something that day....

Didn't it apparently run much better then than it does now too?

Hopefully you had some weird off day and it won't be even more disappointing next time.

I have yet to ride it but I'll be there this year and am trying to keep my expectations lower.

X2 should be melted down and buried into a hole so deep that it stretches all the way to hell where that thing belongs. Love you Alan Schilke but why?

Because it was an amazing concept but was designed almost two decades too early. However if it weren't for X2 there would be no Intamin ZacSpins

If X2 paved the way for Green Lantern then that only adds to how much it sucks.

You may be right, but they are popular and therefore X2 has it's place

These rides all have their place, if nobody liked them they wouldn't be highly rated and therefore I wouldn't be bringing them up in a thread about "overrated" rides.

But yeah X2 and Green Lantern do have their place... in coaster hell. Also pretty much everyone hates Green Lantern.

Also pretty much everyone hates Green Lantern.

Really? I personally love it. With the Single Rider line you can get on it in ~5 mins no matter how long the line is. The drops give a great feeling of being thrown off and, at least for me, it only hurts when you are inverted on the brake run. Then again, I have a very small body type, so that may be something to do with it. Either way, that Single Rider line is a great way to escape from crowds on a busy day.

• 2 weeks later...

I might catch hell for this but I thought Fury 325 was quite overrated. Everyone told me it would blow away any coaster I'd been on and I got off wanting more. Still a great ride just not as great as I thought it'd be or people made it out to be

I'll add Banshee to my list (if I haven't already) of "Most Overrated Coasters."

I had heard so many people say that Banshee was by far the best inverted coaster they had ever been on... Yet after riding Banshee I got off of the ride and found myself wondering "What's so great about this coaster?"

Don't get me wrong, Banshee is by no means a "bad" coaster, it's just very overrated. I think the Batman clones pack more of a punch than Banshee does.

Yo...I still don't get it. Can someone help me out?

There are two ways a coaster can be overrated; a) the GP loves it or b) enthusiasts love it. I will provide my pick for each.

GP-Goliath: Goliath is a great ride, as it is in my top 10, but it is really overrated. First off, the drop is horrible. It is very shallow and provides no airtime. Also, the ride is rather short.

Enthusiasts-Batman:The Ride: Here's my thing about Batman; it's too forceful for too long. Don't get me wrong, I like forceful rides. However, I love seeing a range of forcefulness. For instance, look at Tatu's pretzel loop. Before you enter it, the g-force isn't very strong. However, during the pretzel loop the g-force crushes you. Then, once you exit the pretzel loop, the g-force lowers again. I like this, as it doesn't make the whole ride have the same feeling. However, Batman is always intense. No part of this ride gives you a chance to breath or, through contrast, makes you realize how forceful the ride actually is. All the ride is is bland intensity.

Bit late but I agree with Goliath. I guess my theory is people ride it because it's the tallest rollercoaster in the park and not because it's amazing like it probably was at opening.

Still never been on Batman the ride despite going to the park no less then 4 times and once in the parks VIP program. I just figure it's going to be another B&M Topgun/Flight Deck so i'd rather do stuff like TC, Lex, Full Trottle or really anything else that SF:DK either didn't have or can't ever have.

Maybe Six Flags can rip out Kong (Hangman) from SF:DK, melt it down back into the depths of hell from where it clearly came and transport batman the ride to SF:DK and let SF:MM get a new coaster or a dark ride.

Everyone told me it would blow away any coaster I'd been on

Perfect example of the recurring theme in this thread: overly high expectations. That causes the "overrated" feeling. It's true in coasters and in life.

Yo...I still don't get it. Can someone help me out?

I think Batman is so good that they built one at almost every park. I have never felt sick or beat up on it unlike suspended Vekoma coasters. There is no boring half or even portion of the ride. This is actually one of the better older coasters in the park and solid in every respect making great use of a compact layout. I guess the ride length it is a little short but since they have built Superman the Escape and YOLO; it doesn't seam that bad by comparison.

I guess if you are bothered by constant intensity; then your complaint is valid for you though. You just will not find many people that think B&M Inverts are their weaker product. The largest complaint about Batman is there are too many of them and coaster fans don't drive or fly around the country to ride the exact same coaster.

• 1 month later...