TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most Overrated coaster?

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Chiller was amazing imo. It would go in my dream park.

I'm going to go with B&M inverts as a whole. I have ridden Raptor and Batman which might not have given me the best impression as I should have but the others can't be much better.

A lot of people rank those as two of the best.

Millennium Force. It's not near the best roller coaster in the world. In fact, it's not even the best coaster in the park. Maverick is a lot better in my opinion.

Maverick is my favorite steel coaster!

Millennium Force. It's not near the best roller coaster in the world. In fact, it's not even the best coaster in the park. Maverick is a lot better in my opinion.

I was going to say this as well. I still don't understand the hype. It is big and the drop is great but the rest of the ride is very average. I prefer Maverick and Magnum any day.

X2 should be melted down and buried into a hole so deep that it stretches all the way to hell where that thing belongs. Love you Alan Schilke but why?

Because it was an amazing concept but was designed almost two decades too early. However if it weren't for X2 there would be no Intamin ZacSpins, no S&S 4D free spins, and possibly even no wing coasters.

I305. It was not memorable, other than just for the constant, heavy, positive geforce and the drop (which is better than average, but no where near my favorite). Ok, cool. Its intense. Out of this world intense. But that doesnt make it spectacular.

Intense rides are a lot of fun. But you need some negative geforces (ie El Toro) or some inversions (ie Batman clones) to not bore me.

Expedition Everest. I rarely see anyone badmouth the ride, but I was totally underwhelmed, save for the final drop that offered me brief reprieve from boredom (and wooziness from the backward spin). I have more fun on Big Thunder Mountain, and that's a milder ride.

The Beast

I second this. I probably need to go back for a night ride on it someday. Until then, the day ride was far from any "religious experiences" some tout that it sometimes gave. I already got that from Voyage, so I might be a bit spoiled.

Apparently this was my last post here. To update, I have ridden The Beast at night. Even had a whole train to myself while riding front-row during Coasterstock last year. It was nice, but still didn't live up to some folk's "religious experience" that they've had. I get that they have more memories from riding it in earlier times than me, but I didn't get much from the experience apart from straight bits, sudden laterals, and not being sure where or how strong the trims are throughout the ride.

It's kinda fun, but The Beast still lands #1 on my overrated list.

Skyrush for me. The restraints suck and are one of the few times I've ever been distracted during a ride, the layout is short, and while it's not a bad layout by any means, it is far from one of Intamin's best. The elements are amped up due to the winged trains and open restraints flinging you around everywhere, but I don't put the layout quite on par with the likes of EGF, S:TR, Toro, T-Express, Goliath at Walibi, Maverick, iSpeed, etc..

That is NOT to say Skyrush is a bad ride. It's incredibly unique and intense. I just don't "get" when people put it over many of the other Intamin (or RMC) greats. Overwhelming force alone doesn't do it for me.

While the layout is fairly simple (and not very long) I think what people like abut it is that it delivers a lot of airtime, positive Gs, some laterals and with an incredible pacing. I believe the length is appropriate for such an intense ride too. My only problem really is the restraints. But well, everyone has their preferences.

I305. It was not memorable, other than just for the constant, heavy, positive geforce and the drop (which is better than average, but no where near my favorite). Ok, cool. Its intense. Out of this world intense. But that doesnt make it spectacular.

Intense rides are a lot of fun. But you need some negative geforces (ie El Toro) or some inversions (ie Batman clones) to not bore me.

I liked the ride, but my expectations were set much higher than the actual results, which was self made disappointment. I think this ride would be better without the OTS restraints and if it weren't in the middle of a field of weeds. For me, I never realized how important even slight interaction with the rest of the park was until I experienced this ride. No one puts baby in the corner.

The ride still really is a gem and a unique experience. However, it has a lot going against it, including its terrible terrible themeing and what I mentioned before. I think if you gave it the back drop and surroundings of Millenium Force and take away the OTS restraints the ride would be vastly improved. Instead, CF just said, "Hey, lets put this incredibly intense roller coaster on this dull plot of land in the very back of the park and give it the worst theme in the park... or quite possibly the franchise.

All of this combined with the terrible one train operating day that I had looked forward to for several years and this ride was a personal let down. That considered, I'd still like to give it another try.

I liked the ride, but my expectations were set much higher than the actual results, which was self made disappointment. I think this ride would be better without the OTS restraints and if it weren't in the middle of a field of weeds. For me, I never realized how important even slight interaction with the rest of the park was until I experienced this ride. No one puts baby in the corner.

The ride still really is a gem and a unique experience. However, it has a lot going against it, including its terrible terrible themeing and what I mentioned before. I think if you gave it the back drop and surroundings of Millenium Force and take away the OTS restraints the ride would be vastly improved. Instead, CF just said, "Hey, lets put this incredibly intense roller coaster on this dull plot of land in the very back of the park and give it the worst theme in the park... or quite possibly the franchise.

All of this combined with the terrible one train operating day that I had looked forward to for several years and this ride was a personal let down. That considered, I'd still like to give it another try.

This is just about spot on of what I came to the park expecting. To be fair i still had not hydrated at that point in the day and the geforces bothered me. I am an athlete- you will rarely find me dehydrated. I drink several gallons daily. Given that, anytime I am not hydrated I feel much different and get a little grumpy.

Thanks for bringing up the surroundings. I totally forgot about it. It is difficult to enjoy or even recognize the tremedous speed the ride has. Speed is processed by relativity (objects flying past). Imagine if i305 was in a woods. Also, the proportions of i305 make it seem drawn out and (again) - slower. Lastly, without anything at the bottom of the first drop (except for the proportionally sized structure, track, and turn), you cannot guage a real visualization of it's height either.

Wow, after the last few post now I am no where near as excited for my first ride on i305 next month!

However, I shall wait till I ride it for myself before I decide if for me personally it is overrated.

I'm pretty sure I posted this earlier in this thread but I don't feel like looking for the post. Anytime I see this thread pop up I think Millennium Force.

Obviously from my sig below I think its an extremely great coaster, it just did not live up to the years of hype and praise. Also Maverick, which we rode first out of the two, sitting a couple hundred yards away doesn't help matters.

Like, with MF I can see why someone would think its the greatest thing since sliced bread but I just felt like it was a really big drop with a great view and lots of fast turns before slamming into the brakes. Nothing in the way of forces except spped, lots and lots of speed. Which is great, I guess it just lacks variety and surprise. I will say riding it at night was a transcendent experience.

Edited by boldikus

I'm a huge fan of both Millennium Force and I-305. Initially I was a little underwhelmed by I-305 (as Prozach mentioned it runs one train fairly often and the location sucks. I don't hate the theming but it's not a strong point for me. Recently though after riding I-305 a lot more and having season passes this year I've come to appreciate it a hell of a lot more. I still grey out every single ride, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I sit in row 16 every chance I can get and when it's running well the airtime is really really strong.

No, the location isn't good, but I try to take the ride for what it is, and it helps more than a little when you rarely have to wait more than 20 minutes. The directional changes get me every time--I actually try to lean away just slightly to amplify that feeling since headbanging is a non-issue. When you focus entirely on the individual elements of the ride and not everything else that's minor nitpicks in relation to the ride as a whole, I-305 is almost as good as it gets and I always come off thinking "that's why I invest so much into this dumb hobby."

As for Millennium Force, it's almost the opposite reasoning. Each individual element (other than maybe the first drop) isn't incredible, but the entire package is what coaster riding should be about. Plain and simple, nothing over the top, just a lot of speed, smoothness, some floater airtime thrown in, and a great sense of travel during the ride. It's a ride you can just kick back, throw your hands up and laugh. It makes me feel like I'm eight years old again.

Night rides are where I really appreciate the coaster to put it in my top five though. That drop at night in the back seat... There's just a lot of really special memories I have riding MF at night. Maybe that special "feeling" I get comes from anticipation, since planning trips to that park aren't a quick deal for me, but the ride just feels like it encapsulates everything I love about coasters and takes all the worries away, for at least a couple minutes.

I probably just lost all of my cool points at the end there but there's something special about Millennium Force (for me, anyhow).

Fury is very overrated in my opinion. I mean I didn't expect a lot from it since it is B&M, and yes it impressed for a B&M, but it still isn't as amazing as people seem to make it out to be. I also don't understand how one big B&M made coaster enthusiasts go from not bothering to visit Carowinds to making trips to the park with two day visits.

You can do Carowinds in 4 hours if you get there at opening...

I like the park a lot but I don't see how Fury turned it into Cedar Point South suddenly.

@Password121 I really am looking forward to your trip as I can't wait for you to ride Phantom. (sorry this post is about an underrated coaster, sue me)

Make sure a back and front ride are accomplished, in that order. The back really rips you down that first curved drop not to mention the buckwild drop into the ravine. The airtime hills after the tunnel and back to the station were phenomenal back there, but the airtime on those hills in the front is flat out ridiculous. Not sustained, but just relentless ultra violent pops into the restraint on each hop. I hope that as much as it was for me, it winds up being a very special ride on your trip. Its so unique and intense.

Let us appreciate some of Dr. Alvey's work.

The one and only drawback of PR is the slooooooooow ass lift hill. The fact that the onride camera is placed on an airtime hill is genius. Should be mandatory on every ride.

^Thanks Boldikus. I think Phantom is probably the biggest selling point for me on stopping at Kennywood, other than the park itself being so unique and fun even without that coaster. The coaster looks like there's really nothing else like it out there, and I couldn't be more excited about it, especially with the tickets sitting in my desk at arm's reach as we speak. Your awesome TR from last summer definitely made me want to visit (giving up riding my first RMC for this--that says a lot, lol). I'll be sure to get my own TR up as kind of an homage to yours

I-305 was a let down for me because I don't care for the brown out sensation. I got to ride it before modifications and now in its current form. I have tried all of the tricks I know to minimize the brown out but nothing has worked. To me, it's a scary sensation that I just don't enjoy and for that reason I skip the ride now on my visits and instead ride Volcano more (which is also overrated, but I can at least enjoy it).

X2 should be melted down and buried into a hole so deep that it stretches all the way to hell where that thing belongs. Love you Alan Schilke but why?

Because it was an amazing concept but was designed almost two decades too early. However if it weren't for X2 there would be no Intamin ZacSpins

If X2 paved the way for Green Lantern then that only adds to how much it sucks.

There are two ways a coaster can be overrated; a) the GP loves it or b) enthusiasts love it. I will provide my pick for each.

GP-Goliath: Goliath is a great ride, as it is in my top 10, but it is really overrated. First off, the drop is horrible. It is very shallow and provides no airtime. Also, the ride is rather short.

Enthusiasts-Batman:The Ride: Here's my thing about Batman; it's too forceful for too long. Don't get me wrong, I like forceful rides. However, I love seeing a range of forcefulness. For instance, look at Tatu's pretzel loop. Before you enter it, the g-force isn't very strong. However, during the pretzel loop the g-force crushes you. Then, once you exit the pretzel loop, the g-force lowers again. I like this, as it doesn't make the whole ride have the same feeling. However, Batman is always intense. No part of this ride gives you a chance to breath or, through contrast, makes you realize how forceful the ride actually is. All the ride is is bland intensity.

I don't want to be too hard on it since I only got one ride on it, it was right after it was closed for a while, and I still really like the ride, but the New Texas Giant just was not as good as I was expecting it to be. It's a great ride and had some good airtime, but it is my least favorite RMC and it is NOT on the same level as El Toro. I'm sorry, it's just not. Hoping that my one ride on it was just weak.