TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most Overrated coaster?

This summer the most overrated roller coaster I experienced was Goliath at SFGam. It was a fantastic ride, but it didn't blow my socks off like everyone said it would. The inverted stall wasn't OMFG INSANE like I heard it would be. Call me crazy (many people do), but Raging Bull gives me more of the sensation of height and speed that I look for. Goliath was a fun ride, but it left me wanting more when we hit the brake run.

I have to admit, even though Goliath is my current favorite roller coaster, the zero-G stall did not blow me off the face of the Earth like some had claimed it would. It was an awesome element, but I personally thought the first drop was the best part of the ride.

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Millennium Force, Nitro, Boulder Dash and Bizarro (SFNE) were all underwhelming coming from what we had heard. MF sucked after the first drop, Nitro is at the bottom of the B&M hyper list, Boulder Dash was fun but not much airtime as what I heard and Bizarro had maybe 2 spots of decent airtime but it was painful.

Expedition Everest didn't impress me at all. It was so hyped up, but I found it very dull other than a few drops. The theming on the inside isn't that great. I didn't even notice the Yeti on the first ride. The final brake was terribly sudden and left a nice bruise on my stomach. I doubt I would ride it again.

So far the most overrated I've been on, X2. I do like the drop and the raven turns but the seats turning is bleh and jarring. I think the updates to make it into X2 made it better, but if I had to wait a hour in either line I''d pick Tatsu or Goliath over it.

Beast @ KI

The ride was very "meh", and just meandered around the woods without doing much of anything. The final double helix was fun though .There were a lot of surprising laterals spread throughout the ride, at some points I was seriously concerned the train would fly sideways off the track. A night ride did nothing to improve my opinion. At least in the daytime I could prepare for those jarring laterals. The ride IS fun, and also VERY overrated.

Does not deserve nearly as much hype as it gets, I don't see how people consider this a "top" ride at the park. I place Vortex well above Beast. :/

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I don't have a single most overrated coaster, but I'll name a few that come to mind.

-Flight of Fear (Kings Island): Most people seem to really like this ride, but I wasn't impressed. Most of the ride is kinda forceless, the transitions are pretty jerky, and the mid-course brakes almost bring the ride to a complete stop.

-Millennium Force: Even though it's my #3 overall coaster, after years of hearing about how it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, it didn't quite live up to the hype. It came close though.

-Superman: Ultimate Flight (Six Flags Great America): The pretzel loop is simply amazing, but after that, the ride is pretty much over.

How much hate will I get if I say El Toro? I mean, it's definitely a great ride, and maybe in my top 3 or 4 wood if I cared to rank them, but with all the hype on here I think I was expecting much more. Having ridden it in the front and back cars, I didn't find the airtime especially breath taking. In fairness to El Toro though, I had just ridden Skyrush the day before, and Bizarro/Wicked Cyclone the day before that. All 3 of those coasters I found had better airtime than El Toro, which is all that ride is really supposed to be great at.

Banshee- Fun ride, but not that great. I'm not a big fan of inverted coasters in general, though.

Dragon Challenge, Raptor- see above

Flight of Fear- Terrible ride. The indoor concept is ruined by the fact that the room itself isn't dark at all, and the MCBR makes the second half slow as heck.

HellCat (Timber Falls)- Roughest coaster I have ever ridden. Why would they let such a great layout go to waste?

Intimidator at Carowinds

It just felt so "meh" to me. People hyped the airtime, especially in the back row, I did enjoy that "floater to ejacter" style airtime the back provided, but it felt so darn slow. If the trim wasn't there, I think it'd be a great ride. It bit very hard, and ruined most of the airtime for the first half of the hill (in the front, middle or back)

The helix also left something major to be desired. all in all, a very "meh" ride that was touted as "One of the best B&M hypers"

next day edit: Don't post while drunk.

Edited by Physical

*Prepares to be blasted*

I'm going to add Banshee to my list. Now don't get me wrong, Banshee is a very strong, very good coaster... But when we went on it we got off the ride a little underwhelmed. The coaster was so hyped up that I was expecting it to be the best thing since color tv... and it wasn't. Like I said, it was by no means a "bad" Coaster. It just has had so many people raving about it that I think I had set my expectations way to high. I also wasn't the biggest fan of the vest restraints. The way they cut into my collar bone wad actually really uncomfortable.

With that being said, I had ridden Racer before riding Banshee which had given me a migraine from hell... So I couldn't fully enjoy Banshee for what it is. My headache was so bad every little vibration from Banshee was unbearable. . . We will be riding it again next summer without a headache from Racer. . . So hopefully that will change my opinion.