TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most Overrated coaster?

Goliath at Six Flags Great America. I know people love it, but I'm not a huge fan of it. It's just that drop and zero-g roll that do it for me, but otherwise, it's just a waste of land. It's in my top 10 woodies, but not the BEST.

I agree that Goliath is overrated (especially those who favor it over Outlaw Run), but it does have some great moments, like you mentioned, and I really don't see how it is a waste of space.

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are my top 5 most overrated coasters:

3. Goliath (Six Flags Magic Mountain) A lot of people have been on that ride and I'm not one of them, but a lot of evidence has led me to this conclusion. It's rough, too intense with that helix, only has one airtime hill that isn't very good, and if you're going to go 85 mph then why stop it so much with that brake run? I easily prefer Magnum XL-200.

Okay, there are so many things wrong with this statement.

First off, you've never even ridden the ride. You have no idea if it is smooth, too intense, or has enough airtime. Most people aren't as good as Robb at POV's, so you can't really get your information from that. Second off, if it didn't stop at the MCBR, that helix would be even more intense and crazy. Third, where exactly did you get this "evidence?" Finally, the ride is NOTHING like Magnum XL-200 and many people would argue that Goliath is better than Magnum since it is so brutal. On top of that, Goliath is INFINITELY smoother than Magnum.

Basically, what I am trying to say, and what many people would also say, is that you can't judge a ride until you ride it. Just look at the two Drop of Doom towers at SFMM and SFGAdv! Sure, they should be the most intense drop towers ever, but they aren't at all.

It's just that drop and zero-g roll that do it for me, but otherwise, it's just a waste of land. It's in my top 10 woodies, but not the BEST.

These things you say, they are at odds.

I think it would be hard to find a coaster more exciting that takes up less land than Goliath. I don't think Goliath is overrated because most enthusiasts don't think it's the BEST. I think there's a consensus that it's the worst RMC (which still means it's amazing). I love the ride, it's my #1 overall coaster slightly ahead of Montu, but I've only ridden about 50 coasters. I think Goliath is properly rated as an amazing coaster, but not quite on the same level as Outlaw Run, El Toro, Balder, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Considering everyone always talks about Millenium Force, and it's my third favorite coaster at Cedar Point alone... I'd have to put it on the overrated list. Give me Maverick and Top Thrill Dragster over it by a long shot. It's a great coaster, don't get me wrong, but it's not the best in the world.

This one might surprise people, but my vote goes to the Phoenix at Knoebels. In saying this, I'm not discrediting it from being a quality ride, because it is, but I don't find it nearly as thrilling as some of the more recent woodies that it consistently gets ranked ahead of. I don't find it to be in the same class as rides like the Voyage, El Toro, a lot of the GCI, CCI, and TGG creations, etc. I still think it's the best coaster built before the 70's, just not a top 10 experience for me anyways. I.May have this opinion because I've ridden it so many times.

I was a bit underwhelmed by Nitro at SFGAdv. It's a very good example of my issue with most B&M hypers.... the pacing is so slow. The heights and top speeds are high, but the constant deceleration going over the tall hills and turnarounds made it feel like the roller coaster equivalent of stop and go traffic.

I really wanted to like Bizarro (formerly S:RoS) at SFNE, but the only time I ever got to ride it, the employees jammed my lapbar down SO HARD (like, literally leaned back so he could use his body momentum to shove it down) that I spent the whole ride distracted by how badly my thighs hurt.

Edited by singforfood

It's bound to happen.

The Beast

I second this. I probably need to go back for a night ride on it someday. Until then, the day ride was far from any "religious experiences" some tout that it sometimes gave. I already got that from Voyage, so I might be a bit spoiled.

• 1 month later...

I don't really get what people mean when they say Millennium doesn't have any airtime. Let me put it like this: If all the lapbars on Millennium suddenly failed just before any of the hills, no one would be on the train when it gets into the station. That's how you can tell it has airtime. So what do I think is overrated? I'm not saying any of these rides are bad, but here's the list:

Magnum XL-200. Speaking of Millennium Force, this is what a lot of people were expecting. If I had just heard the announcement of a 300+ foot roller coaster coming to Cedar Point, I wouldn't have hoped it would be like this ride for two reasons: First off, if Millennium was like Magnum, then what'd be the point to it? Second, it'd suck. Saying that you wanted a giga coaster to be like Magnum was like saying you wanted Top Gear to build a space shuttle (they actually built one, and it crashed.) It'd be too much for the kind of technology you have your hands on. The chain lift is too loud, it's got a lot of rough points, the pretzel turn-around feels like getting punched in the gut (*cough trim brakes *cough) and all the other airtime hills after that hurt like hell! One of the few coasters I've been on that hurt.

Nitro. There are a lot of people that love this ride, and to be honest, I don't really get the hype. Maybe this is what people were talking about when they said Millennium Force is forceless. I only went on it twice IN THE BACK and it didn't deliver. Not in airtime and although it did deliver in positive Gs, my feet weren't touching the ground and it felt like someone was trying to rip off my legs.

Kingda Ka. This is actually my favorite coaster I went on when I went to Great Adventure (El Toro was broken, but it'd easily take the cake.) It's a fantastic ride too, while it lasted. It's one of those rides that you want to last longer, but it doesn't. If you've read up to this point and a train on Kingda Ka launched when you started reading this, it'd be over by now. Another problem is that it has OTSR (over the shoulder restraints) and not the good kind. The restraints on Intimidator 305 are much better, and although it doesn't deliver the thigh pain that Maverick and Magnum have, it's still fairly restricting.

The Beast. Another example of a ride that everyone loves but doesn't live up to its hype. It'd be better if it didn't have so many trim brakes, and a lot of people might say "it lowers the cost of maintaining the ride" well screw that because running an amusement park is expensive, end of story. I'd rather remove the trim brakes and spend a bit more to maintain the ride than to keep it there and let the ride get all this hate. I mean this ride has zero airtime (although it has a few moments of less gravity), and no one can come up with an argument when we're talking about a roller coaster that lasts 4 minutes, even if we're talking about going through the forest, which is probably why this ride gets so much hype.

Goliath (SFMM.) This is the only coaster here that I haven't been on, and I'd first like to say that this ride is a fast, long, and very intense ride which ought to sound fantastic, but Intimidator 305 is an example of one that works out good, and this is one that doesn't. First off, who in their right minds would develop a coaster with only one airtime hill? It's ridiculous. I mean Diamondback has seven, and I know of a couple other coasters with even more than that. Another problem is the twists and turns after the mid-course brake run which kills most of the speed (which I don't like). After that you experience 5.5g for quite a bit after that. I've been on a few coasters that generate so much g-force that you grey-out (Millennium, Nitro, and Gatekeeper) but this is just ridiculous. If I was in line to ride this I wouldn't be surprised if someone came off unconscious. Need I say more?

I don't really get what people mean when they say Millennium doesn't have any airtime. Let me put it like this: If all the lapbars on Millennium suddenly failed just before any of the hills, no one would be on the train when it gets into the station. That's how you can tell it has airtime.

And others say airtime if something you can feel when you float out of the seat or are ejected out of your seat. I barely feel those sensations when I ride MF.

I always thought Millennium sucked on the airtime front. Only three moments of it and only one of those had any force to them. This year though I got some of my best rides ever on it during Halloweekends.(car 8 front row left side). It had ejector for all the hills and had a lot better positive G's than it used to. I don't know what it was about that visit but all the rides were running the best I'd ever seen them. I will agree though that Millennium doesn't usually have the best airtime but it definitely can.(Especially on the first drop )

By no means is this ride anything but great, but to me the most overrated coaster is Millennium Force... Only because of how outdated it is compared to todays standards and what else is being built around the world! To me it's still getting top-recognition amongst the rankings because of the long list of records it broke when it debuted in 2000, and of course the awesome ride it gives!!? Just think that #1, or top 5 in the world is a bit of a stretch? Either way with Fury 325 debuting next year, I can't see MF holding that spot much longer.

I love Magnum XL 200 as well and it had a great run in the 90's, but it too is overrated and the delusional GTA's are really setting new riders up for an OUCH of a disappointment! My Point is that only stubborn fans of Magnum XL 200 still consider the coaster to be in their top 10! I love Magnum but I'm gonna be real when I say it's not even in my top 50, and has no reason being in anybody else's either!

This next one isn't touted too high among rankings but second-for-second is my favorite ride on the planet, and that ride is Top Thrill Dragster! It's overrated to me for different reasons, and those reasons are it's JUGGERNAUT status/importance to Cedar Point's lineup when compared to it's low 1,000 riders per hour capacity, and most of all it's long list of mechanical issues that haunt the ride on a daily basis! Maybe it's just my luck, but this damn thing broke down the last 3 times I've ridden it! It never closed down, but it would shut down for 25-30 minutes at a time for maintenance, which just kills it for me as it turns into a 2-hour round-trip for a 17 second ride!

Another is Phantom's Revenge which started out ordinary with a great 2nd drop, then topped off by a totally ordinary conclusion! Overall fun, but very average!

Sorry to my home and favorite park Cedar Point for my rant on a few of your coasters, but I'm just being honest as an enthusiast!

I love Magnum XL 200 as well and it had a great run in the 90's, but it too is overrated and the delusional GTA's are really setting new riders up for an OUCH of a disappointment! My Point is that only stubborn fans of Magnum XL 200 still consider the coaster to be in their top 10! I love Magnum but I'm gonna be real when I say it's not even in my top 50, and has no reason being in anybody else's either!

I don't really care what you think about Magnum but it's a lot better of a ride if you sit in the middle seat of the last car with your legs all the way forward. It still has some of the most intense airtime of any coaster out their too so it's gonna stay my #1 Steelie

By no means is this ride anything but great, but to me the most overrated coaster is Millennium Force... Only because of how outdated it is compared to todays standards and what else is being built around the world! To me it's still getting top-recognition amongst the rankings because of the long list of records it broke when it debuted in 2000, and of course the awesome ride it gives!!? Just think that #1, or top 5 in the world is a bit of a stretch? Either way with Fury 325 debuting next year, I can't see MF holding that spot much longer.

This next one isn't touted too high among rankings but second-for-second is my favorite ride on the planet, and that ride is Top Thrill Dragster! It's overrated to me for different reasons, and those reasons are it's JUGGERNAUT status/importance to Cedar Point's lineup when compared to it's low 1,000 riders per hour capacity, and most of all it's long list of mechanical issues that haunt the ride on a daily basis! Maybe it's just my luck, but this damn thing broke down the last 3 times I've ridden it! It never closed down, but it would shut down for 25-30 minutes at a time for maintenance, which just kills it for me as it turns into a 2-hour round-trip for a 17 second ride!

Totally agree about Millennium Force, before I rode it, people said so much great things about it that I felt my life was completed when I pulled down the lap bar. By the time when the train hits the brake, my whole life was a lie

But I absolutely loved Magnum for what it is, it's from the 80's and it gives the feeling of an old school coaster. Where else can you get coat hanger and super intense triangular shaped airtime hills on a hyper coaster? It's unique and I didn't think it is rough at all. As for TTD, the launch already worth the wait.

Guess this is just a matter of personal preference...

^^^ I still list Millennium Force as my #1 coaster, ahead of rides like El Toro, Skyrush, I305, Maverick, Bizarro, Kumba and a ton of other awesome rides. It's feeling of relentless speed throughout such a long ride is absolutely unmatched in the front and in the back I love the feeling of ripping through the overbanks. Unlike I305 it's also built right near trees, buildings and now dinosaurs so the sensation of speed is amplified even more. I know it's not a popular opinion but I've never ridden a coaster anywhere near as awesome as Millennium Force. Every year I go after riding awesome coasters everywhere else thinking maybe everyone is right and maybe the ride isn't that great and then I ride it and realize that it's still completely amazing in every single way.

I do agree that Magnum is overrated but at the same time I do understand why people like it. I feel like there are coasters with more extreme and more comfortable airtime but if you want a ride that takes you from sitting in your seat to flying into the restraint with absolutely no warning whatsoever then you can't beat Magnum's airtime hills in the tunnels. Riding through the darkness knowing that at any second you're going to be launched into the bar immediately with no warning makes the ride and it's triangular hills pretty unique. I think the ride's really painful and would much rather ride airtime coasters like Phoenix or El Toro but I do understand why Magnum has it's rabid fans. With those rides you can see and feel the hill start to crest and know the airtime is coming. With a few of Magnum's hills it just comes out of nowhere.

This summer the most overrated roller coaster I experienced was Goliath at SFGam. It was a fantastic ride, but it didn't blow my socks off like everyone said it would. The inverted stall wasn't OMFG INSANE like I heard it would be. Call me crazy (many people do), but Raging Bull gives me more of the sensation of height and speed that I look for. Goliath was a fun ride, but it left me wanting more when we hit the brake run.

On another note, I laugh at the people who say MF sucks. MF may be over hyped for today's standards, but it was a great ride in 2000 and still remains to be a great ride. Seeing as how MF still ranks so highly among enthusiast and GP polls, it's pretty safe to say it has been a great success. Plain and simple - Don't act so f***ing spoiled.

• 4 weeks later...
I want to say that X2 at Magic Mountain is the most overrated roller coaster...but then I don't. The reason I want to say that it is overrated is because it's just so short and they didn't get as creative with the design like they did in future 4D coasters.

I love Tatsu as well, but nothing can really match X2... the other 4D coasters (the two replicas in Japan/China) adds a full/full twist (after the backflip) after the first raven turn (love that element!).... otherwise, isn't it similar to X2? I smile every time I think about my butt being planted on X2

Edited by ioio