TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most Overrated coaster?

Intimidator 305 at Kings Dominion-I only rode it when it had the brake on the drop, but I just didn't really enjoy the ride. It wasn't rough, but just wasn't rerideable for me because of all the quick transitions throwing you about. It's still good, but I don't think it's one of the best in the world.

obviously not your fault, but you really haven't ridden this ride yet

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like someone's going to hate me for this, but the first thing I thought of was Bizarro/Superman at SFNE. I rode it like a day or two after riding the coasters at SFGAdv and a few days before riding the ones at Cedar Point. Honestly, I thought Millennium Force was way better. We had a Six Flags season pass and not a lot of time at the park, so we pretty much just went in and stood in line for 2 hours, rode the coaster, and left. After hearing all the stuff about it being the best coaster in the world, I wasn't extremely impressed. Sure, it was a fun ride and I'd ride it again, but I still thought Millennium Force was better.

Another really epic overrated coaster was Zonga at SFDK (Marine World). I think it was only hyped up in my mind because I was new to the coaster enthusiast stuff and SFMW hadn't had any new coasters in a while and it was my favorite park. Needless to say, Zonga was a huge letdown in more ways than one. I think it's best moment was when it sat in the parking lot and people drove by it to film the "parking-lot coaster".

• 3 years later...

Here are my top 5 most overrated coasters:

1. The Beast. It just shook me around a lot when I was on it and a lot of people really like it but it's more like a rickety trip through the woods rather than a roller coaster.

2. Kingda Ka. It's a great ride but it's got just one problem: It doesn't last long enough. The time you have on the ride is fantastic but there isn't enough of it. It isn't even in the top 20 of coasters in the world, and I'm not surprised.

3. Goliath (Six Flags Magic Mountain) A lot of people have been on that ride and I'm not one of them, but a lot of evidence has led me to this conclusion. It's rough, too intense with that helix, only has one airtime hill that isn't very good, and if you're going to go 85 mph then why stop it so much with that brake run? I easily prefer Magnum XL-200.

4. Top Thrill Dragster. It's basically the same with Kingda Ka: Not enough time on the ride. I prefer Kingda Ka but they hype on about it WAY more than Top Thrill Dragster and that's why it's higher.

5. Nitro. I'm probably going to get a lot of people saying 'What? How the hell is Nitro in 5th place? It's fantastic!' Well for me, it wasn't. It has airtime, but it doesn't have enough airtime to be called a proper B&M hyper coaster. To me that's the whole point of one. As a B&M hyper coaster, I easily prefer Diamondback, Shambhala, and even Behemoth.

Thunderbolt at Luna Park (Coney Island) may be a candidate for this thread. Early reports were glowing, but last week it was, well, not good. Even some who loved it early in the season were a bit shocked.

That being said, Cyclone was a lot of fun.

Iron Rattler. -- I think I was spoiled by having New Texas Giant at my home park. New Texas Giant is an amazing coaster!! But Iron Rattler... To me was just beyond over rated. Sure it has a good drop, but that is about it. The inversion did nothing for me, and the entire time on top of the quarry wall was just... boring. It seemed to slowly crawl through each element. Then you get a few decent drops off of the quarry wall. But that's all... I really have no desire to ride it again.

It was so hyped up by everyone that I had such high expectations for it, and then when I rode it I was HIGHLY disappointed.

2. Kingda Ka. It's a great ride but it's got just one problem: It doesn't last long enough. The time you have on the ride is fantastic but there isn't enough of it. It isn't even in the top 20 of coasters in the world, and I'm not surprised.

4. Top Thrill Dragster. It's basically the same with Kingda Ka: Not enough time on the ride. I prefer Kingda Ka but they hype on about it WAY more than Top Thrill Dragster and that's why it's higher.

Interesting that you say this. Perhaps that's true among the GP. However, with the enthusiasts, I have always heard people saying how much better TTD is than KK: In fact, so much that (based on my experience on both of those rides) I would say KK is underrated and TTD overrated as I actually do slightly prefer the former while most enthusiasts seem to like TTD a lot more.

So far, I'd have to say Raging Bull. I'd heard great things about it and other B&M hypercoasters, but it wasn't as intense as I thought it would be, and there is very limited airtime. Raging Bull is in my personal top 10, but I thought it was going to be my new favorite. Maybe if they turned off this evil thing...

image.jpg.210938d954b914d84d55361a53f01f39.jpg

So far, I'd have to say Raging Bull. I'd heard great things about it and other B&M hypercoasters, but it wasn't as intense as I thought it would be, and there is very limited airtime. Raging Bull is in my personal top 10, but I thought it was going to be my new favorite. Maybe if they turned off this evil thing...

YES! The ride is fun and has an great first drop, but if they didn't let the MCBR trim the ride and turned off the trim brakes, it would be insane. Instead, we get a Sleeping Steer or a Calm Cow.

Bull has 4 trim brakes including the MCBR. My experiences go something like this-

-Pre-drop trim - Never on (GOOD! The drop is great!)

-First camelback trim - Ruins the first camelback and is always on

-MCBR - Always on, the ride would probably be better at the end without this, considering that most of the ride's airtime hills are near the end.

-Pre-twisty trim - Sometimes on, sometimes not on.

I personally think these trim brakes should all be ripped out and killed with fire, while the MCBR should be set not to go off unless there is a block emergency.

How to turn a potentially great ride into a "meh" one.

3. Goliath (Six Flags Magic Mountain) A lot of people have been on that ride and I'm not one of them...It's rough, too intense with that helix, only has one airtime hill that isn't very good...

Aye, aye, aye, Lucy, I don't even know what to say here. There's no moment in Internet research where you suddenly acquire the equivalent knowledge of actually experiencing something. Goliath isn't the best coaster on earth, but it got 94th on the 2013 Mitch Hawker poll, around the company of Silver Star, Steel Eel, and Titan. I think being in that pack sounds about right for what it is. It's also one of the smoothest coasters I've ever been on. Go ride it, you may like it!

I want to say that X2 at Magic Mountain is the most overrated roller coaster...but then I don't. The reason I want to say that it is overrated is because it's just so short and they didn't get as creative with the design like they did in future 4D coasters. Buuuuut then again the ride is just such a great experience. Every second of that ride is an unforgettable moment that no other coaster can match. For example, after you've ridden, say, Nitro a couple times and you're going up that lift hill again...you're kinda just like "oookay come on lets do this..get to the top!" whereas on X2 the experience you get is always something engaging. Even just the wait for the ride to start is fun. I feel like that is what makes the ride such a favorite among the GP. All those intangibles that other rides just don't have. The intense raven turns, the music (sometimes), the fire, staring into the sky knowing you're about to plummet straight down, catching a breather on that turn...but if I were to be really critical I'd say the ride itself doesn't match up to the fun of Tatsu, which is a ride that feels much more complete and well paced.

I would have to add Millennium Force to my list as well. From how everyone was talking, I thought that it was an airtime filled ride. I was wrong. It was more focused on speed, straightaways, and overbanks. The ride was quick, but didn't impress me at all. I would still prefer any of the three Superman hypers to this.

^I would call it overrated among the GP, yes. Here, however, (in the enthusiast community) I don't think I would as there are a lot of people who already think it is overrated as well as a few who don't, naturally. But yes, overall, it is a bit. I was only very slightly disappointed though (or maybe that's because I was already prepared)

^Interesting you say so. Having ridden it before really looking at the comments I was surprised by how low most people ranked it (at least here). I would actually say it is underrated as, while not being super intense, it has a nice solid layout with a good amount of inversions and decent length.