TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most Overrated coaster?

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of the ones I've been on, I would say Revenge of the Mummy at Universal Studios Hollywood. While it was a good ride, the park map hyped it up saying it was the named the best ride in the world (the year it opened) and it did not live up to the hype. The first time I rode it after the backwards part where it was turning back forward with the fog I was expecting one more part and it goes into the station and I said "that's it?" For a indoor coaster, I actually prefer Space Mountain at Disneyland.

Have you tried its Florida counterpart? Much different, plus it has a "launch" lift hill. And the Florida version is a full circuit coaster.

For me, the most overrated ride experience I've had was El Toro. I mean, the first drop and two following airtime hills were awesome, but the whole second half of the ride was far too rough to be maneuvering through such intensely designed elements. I just ended up with a headache. I still would say I like the ride a lot, but it wasn't the mind blowing perfect coaster that it was hyped up to be. After three rides (front, middle, back) I was ready to devote the rest of the evening to Nitro, which was amazing.

Of the ones I've been on, I would say Revenge of the Mummy at Universal Studios Hollywood. While it was a good ride, the park map hyped it up saying it was the named the best ride in the world (the year it opened) and it did not live up to the hype. The first time I rode it after the backwards part where it was turning back forward with the fog I was expecting one more part and it goes into the station and I said "that's it?" For a indoor coaster, I actually prefer Space Mountain at Disneyland.

Have you tried its Florida counterpart? Much different, plus it has a "launch" lift hill. And the Florida version is a full circuit coaster.

I haven't but heard its a lot better. I was referring solely to the Hollywood version. They hyped the Hollywood version like it was the same as the Florida version when it opened but it was a stripped down version. I know space constraints plague the Hollywood park from becoming like the Florida one (at least we have the Studio tour) but I still think Revenge of the Mummy is a huge improvement over E.T. Adventure, I just wish it was better.

You know, I've never really been let down by a major coaster, or thought a coaster was overrated. Maybe I'm just too nice, and I'm grateful to be on any coasters at all when the summer comes along, but that's just how I am.

I'm not gonna go after anyone for dumping on MF or Raptor, which I love both of. I haven't been back to CP since 2002, so maybe time hasn't been too kind to those coasters. I don't know.

I do have a pick for most underrated coaster. Gemini! Nobody ever talks about this coaster today. It helped put CP on the map back in 78, and it still gives a great ride, as of my last visit years ago. I've heard Robb likes this one, though, which I hope is true. In a sea of Intamins, this is the little coaster that could.

This thread is entertaining just for the "dont get me wrong, it's a great ride, but..."'s I see that as a polite way of saying "to those who like it, I respect your opinion but f*** off"

You know, I've never really been let down by a major coaster, or thought a coaster was overrated. Maybe I'm just too nice, and I'm grateful to be on any coasters at all when the summer comes along, but that's just how I am.

I'm with you on this one. Though I have been on rides that have let me down, I'm still giddy as hell while riding simply because it's a coaster and coasters make me happy no matter what size, shape or gimmick they are.

This thread is entertaining just for the "dont get me wrong, it's a great ride, but..."'s I see that as a polite way of saying "to those who like it, I respect your opinion but f*** off"

I'm with you on this one. Though I have been on rides that have let me down, I'm still giddy as hell while riding simply because it's a coaster and coasters make me happy no matter what size, shape or gimmick they are.

My thoughts exactly!!!

I know the popular answer is Millennium Force but I love that coaster. After 10 years it's still my #1.

That being said, I think the most overrated coaster at CP HAS to be Magnum XL 200. I know it was the first coaster to break the 200 foot barrier, the view from it is breathtaking but it's really rough and the airtime is more painful to me than enjoyable as I always get slammed into the lapbar (I know that's the idea... but that lapbar is hard as a rock). The coaster is okay, but even the boring Morgan hypers are better IMO for the simple fact that I find Magnum really, really rough. It's a decent coaster, but not one that I need to ride more than once every trip to CP... and I really only ride it because I feel like I have to to try to figure out what I'm apparently missing.

Edited by coasterbill

^^^People say that all the time. Dissapointment will come in life, and it is just something that happens. What the people in the above post were doing was ranting on those who rant, which seems a bit hypocritical to me. If you don't like or disagree with this thread, no one is forcing you to read it.

I really try not to let hype hinder a ride experience in any way. However, the one time it did was on Sky Screamer at SFDK. I would love to have an explaination for where the hype comes from, because even many of my GP friends were very dissapointed with the ride, even with only a 45 minute wait! (Which was one of the shortest waits that day). I love to push my fear of heights, but this did not do it.

MrSum1 "Sorry for the rant and I hope I aggrivated no one"_55

I'd actually have to say (No one hate me for this) Millennium Force. It really didn't provide that kick. I mean sure it was intense, but there was absolutely no air time, to be honest, none of CPs rides really have an air time kick. That's just me. Hate me, don't hate me, but it's just my opinion.

Rode Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit for the first time a couple of months ago. And to be honest, I really thought it would be an awesome coaster being at Universal. Was totally disappointed! It looks great with the scenery, and the on board music was awesome (Limp Bizkit - Rollin'). But the ride itself was rough and just seemed poorly designed to me. Was expecting a 8 or 9 on my rollercoaster scale and got a 3!

For me the most overhyped coaster has to be Knoebels's Twister. It's still a fun wooden coaster, but I don't really find the ride super noteworthy since it's kind of rough and doesn't bring too much airtime. I still find the layout really cool, but I just didn't find the ride overly fun unfortunately.

MagnumXL 200. i found it rough and uncomfortable. simply being slammed into the restraints is not my idea of airtime -- there's utterly no sense of weightlessness or freefall when it's just yanking you around. also, the banking seemed really jerky and forceful and just incorrectly calculated.

i know it's an important coaster historically, but it's definitely an Arrow through and through.

MagnumXL 200. i found it rough and uncomfortable. simply being slammed into the restraints is not my idea of airtime -- there's utterly no sense of weightlessness or freefall when it's just yanking you around. also, the banking seemed really jerky and forceful and just incorrectly calculated.

i know it's an important coaster historically, but it's definitely an Arrow through and through.

couldn't agree more! Some might call me crazy but it's all in opinion, I think Knoebel's Phoenix is a little overrated. The airtime is definitely sick but it's a short ride that repeats itself in my opinion

For me, the most overrated ride experience I've had was El Toro. I mean, the first drop and two following airtime hills were awesome, but the whole second half of the ride was far too rough to be maneuvering through such intensely designed elements. I just ended up with a headache. I still would say I like the ride a lot, but it wasn't the mind blowing perfect coaster that it was hyped up to be. After three rides (front, middle, back) I was ready to devote the rest of the evening to Nitro, which was amazing.

Too rough? It's definitely one of the smoothest coasters out there.

Someone says El Toro was overrated? That's such a great ride, best woodie I've ever ridden. The only rough part I guess is when you helix around the station and drop, really hurt my legs and...you know . But definitely a very good ride.