TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most Overrated coaster?

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^I like Rip, Ride, and Rockit, myself--particularly the noninverting loop (a unique, excellent element).

I think Voyage jumps out at me as being overrated, although I wouldn't have said that two years ago. When I rode it in the spring of 2009, it was running beautifully and easily hit my top ten. But there was a big difference in August 2010, when I felt the ride's quality had slipped noticeably, and it took a nosedive in my rankings.

• 2 months later...

Here's my list

Kingda Ka- The launch was close to force less, it was rough, and over all not up to the hype.

Renegade- Not get me wrong, I loved this ride, but with all the hype, I really though it was going to be a lot better than it was.

Nitro- When I rode it, there was almost no airtime and the only redeeming thing about it was the helix, not the top 10 coaster people said it was

Scream/Bizzaro- I thought they were both kind of boring.

Mantis- Many people think its one of the best rides at CP, but it REALLY hurt my legs.

The list can keep going on and on

Medusa at SFDK way way over hyped . . . not only did they market it as a flying coaster at first it just fails to deliver in all ways possible

Did you ride in the back row? I always found that first drop to deliver in the back row. And since when did they market the ride as a flying coaster??

For me, the most overrated roller coaster I've been on is Alpengeist. While the ride was still fun, it's easily the worst B&M invert I've been on. I liked the theming and first drop, but the rest of the ride just seemed forceless in my opinion.

Nitro- When I rode it, there was almost no airtime and the only redeeming thing about it was the helix, not the top 10 coaster people said it was

I agree about the hype on Nitro and the airtime definitely can be hit or miss. Through the years though I learned to appreciate the ride for what it is, a good, but not great coaster. ...With that said, it's still currently ranked #20 on my steel list.

I'm gonna have to say Nitro. I was expecting the ride to be at the same caliber as Bizzaro @ SFNE since it was rated near it, however it did not live up to my expectations. It only has decent airtime, and is no where near as intense as Bizzaro. Regardless, it's still a pretty good ride that's in the bottom half of my top 10.

I would definitely rank Great Bear as one of the most overrated coaster. I am going to have to disagree with people saying that Batman: The Ride is overrated because the only time I have ever seen them being hyped was when they first started opening them in various Six Flags parks in the early 90's. I believe that Batman: The Ride clones are essential workhorse Inverts and more parks could actually use them (*hint*hint* The Great Escape! *hint*hint).

As far as underrated coasters go, I would definitely pick Stormrunner. This coaster always seems to be overlooked in the coaster community and the theme park media. The forces I experience on this coaster are like no other!

Of the ones I've been on, I would say Revenge of the Mummy at Universal Studios Hollywood. While it was a good ride, the park map hyped it up saying it was the named the best ride in the world (the year it opened) and it did not live up to the hype. The first time I rode it after the backwards part where it was turning back forward with the fog I was expecting one more part and it goes into the station and I said "that's it?" For a indoor coaster, I actually prefer Space Mountain at Disneyland.

I've never ridden it but I'd have to say Infusion. I hear everybody saying how amazingly awesomely wonderfully amazing it is...But it's an SLC. Isn't that uh...bad?

How can you say a ride is overrated if you have never been on it???

I've never ridden it but I'd have to say Infusion. I hear everybody saying how amazingly awesomely wonderfully amazing it is...But it's an SLC. Isn't that uh...bad?

How can you say a ride is overrated if you have never been on it???

Lately, I think people are confusing the term "overrated" with "popular". Especially, if that ride is popular with the GP.

At the beginning of this thread, it was about coasters that ranked so highly in different, even skewed polls ((aka: Discovery Channel)). While a coaster may rank highly with the GP and DSC polls (among others like USA Today etc...) most enthusiasts would disagree with those polls anyway.

This thread I'd more liken to those who have disagreed with the rankings done in Mitch's poll. Which is fine with me, everyone has their own personal preferences, and opinions.

I seriously doubt though, that a few of the coasters mentioned on the last few pages would rank highly anywhere except with the GP.

Especially, an SLC.

JJ