TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Everland Discussion Thread

If you watch the POV (or actually rode the coaster) you can easily see how insane the swinging and the speed that the trains take those turns through. I've read reviews of KI's Bat and the swinging on that coaster is very similar to the swinging on EF, which causes me to assume that EF will eventually experience the exact same wear and tear that The Bat experienced, but it would take a little longer for the effects to occur because of the banking in the track and the improvements in the design...

Even BBW experienced some wear, but BGW fixed that by placing a trim at the base of the drop to regulate the speed and reduce any wear and tear produced by the train...

However I think that Everland waitied until it was too late to do anything about it.

If you watch the POV (or actually rode the coaster) you can easily see how insane the swinging and the speed that the trains take those turns through. I've read reviews of KI's Bat and the swinging on that coaster is very similar to the swinging on EF, which causes me to assume that EF will eventually experience the exact same wear and tear that The Bat experienced, but it would take a little longer for the effects to occur because of the banking in the track and the improvements in the design...
I got 25+ rides on EF thanks to the 2 TPR trips to Everland, so I know how it rides. The speed of the train at those places aren't as bad really just the swinging.

But as I interpenetrated the information that came through R&E from the manager then it's not those parts that are the main concern, it's earlier in the ride on the fast bends that are the main trouble spots. Slowing down the ride so that it ran at design speed (instead of 20+ mph too fast) would be the easy and quick solution, but then the ride wouldn't be as good and it will drop in the rankings (just as Thundercoaster at Tusenfryd now is a weak woodie after the GCI "improovements").

Slowing down the ride so that it ran at design speed (instead of 20+ mph too fast) would be the easy and quick solution

What about slowing it down to 10 mph too fast... That way the ride still feels insane, but will require less maintenence.

I could be wrong about comparing EF to The Bat because technology has changed, but it seemed to me that both coasters were suffering similar wear. Both coasters seemed to take the turns at high speeds, but one was unbanked causing immense stress on the track and the other was banked causing less stress but the fact that the turns are taken at such a high speed contributes to the wear over a long period of time.

Dan - I guess I can't really compare the two.

It would be a crying shame to see this one go. I know Big Bad Wolf shakes a lot when the train hits the brakes and when it swings, so I can only imagine what EF does. And to tell the truth that trim at the base of the second does a lot. You can feel it slowing you down, especially if you're sitting in the back.

What I just don't understand is, why aren't rides designed so that they don't have to use trims?

If the trim was placed on BBW before it opened, why wasn't the ride designed so that the trim wasn't needed? I understand that technology was much less advanced back then, but companies continue to design rides with the same problem even today! Take B&M hypers, for example...

I don't understand why people seem to think track replacement would be impossible. They had to build the thing in the first place, so why the heck couldn't they replace some sections? There are trees in the way? No problem, they have great devices called chainsaws. I'm sure if it was necessary, they could clear away some of the trees/brush.

Even if they took it out of commission for a year like the Texas Titan project, that would be cool. South Korea is part of the new steel production empire. It would be great if they could work out a new special project, have track made at Pahong in country.

It would still be fairly difficult to get construction equipment up there even with chainsaws and bulldozers, if not it would be fairly expensive to bulldoze a trail through the woods.

I know I saw a pic of EF around opening, showing a fairly baren plot of land with a lot of newly planted trees.

If this were true, they could've easily dug a maintenence road into the mountain.

I reread Elissa's post and it seems that the ride removal is just a rumor.

• 5 weeks later...
What I just don't understand is, why aren't rides designed so that they don't have to use trims?

If the trim was placed on BBW before it opened, why wasn't the ride designed so that the trim wasn't needed? I understand that technology was much less advanced back then, but companies continue to design rides with the same problem even today! Take B&M hypers, for example...

Unlike Behemoth, Diamandback, and Raging Bull, Hypers like Nitro and Apollos chariot don't always use their trims and their trims are very light compared to the others, especially Nitros. The speed of a coaster is very dependent on the weather conditions and the amount of time it has been running for that day.

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry to double post, but the Summer Season Map came out at Everland and Eagle Fortress is taken out. I'm not sure on its fate, but I heard rumors of demolition, since it is not listed as "Under Repair" like Rolling X-Train. I'm just hoping it's only for this season or there goes another awesome Arrow Coaster.

That empty green area is where it used to be...

Source: Attraction R2

Ugh. There goes another coaster legend.

I'm glad that I at least got to ride it a couple of times.

EDIT: Sorry about the massive bump.

Yikes... my korean contact had heard either "fixing it up" or "take it out" and I guess Take it out won! Sad...

For the replacement coaster, things are pretty rough right now in Korea, with the Won losing so much value and buying another coaster would cost 25-50% more just due to the currency exchange. We'll see what Everland picks to replace it once the Won get its value back.

For Rolling X Train, its still down? It was down in march when I went, getting repainted white.

Was planning a trip for Feb next year and this was the main reason to head to Seoul...

Hopefully it might be just getting a fix!

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it, from what I hear all the major coaster players were asked how they could stop the thing falling apart and it sounds like the only real option to protect the structure was to neuter it with brakes. I'll only qualify that with that's what I heard.

Hey at least there is T-Express and Atlantis Adventure. I went through this with Ian when he went to Asia this Feb - the temps might be a bit cold in Feb for some of the major coasters to operate in Seoul, you may need to consider that when you're planning.