TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Guitar Brands

I was looking into buying a better guitar than my electric one now. It's hard to pick based on the reviews, but I think I like Gibson the best. Fender is cheap enough, and sounds pretty good, but I don't know. I just wanted to get some opinions before I buy anything, though, because it is alot of money. So, please post what you think is the best brand an model. It would help alot. Thanks!

Right now, I'm thinking on buying either a Gibson Studio Les Paul, or a Gibson SG.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have one of each kind and like 2 fenders and 3 gibsons, the Gibson Studio Les Paul is pretty good. But when get one, buy a wah-wah peddle, those things are awesome. And I'm just saying this, if you like playing the guitar and don't have it already, get Guitar Hero II, it is so cool.

I think anything by Gibson would be a safe bet. I'd probably prefer the Les Paul over the SG, only because they have a little large body so they seem to have a slightly richer sound, but if you want something more "hard rock" oriented, the SG would probably work just as well. Any of the stock models, like the studio versions, will probably be a solid investment since they will last you years and stand up to about anything.

Go play a bunch of guitars and pick the one you like best. Every person is going to have a different preference on what suites them best. Really, the only way to know exactly is to play them

Mmmm.... Gibson...

Yeah, listen to Wes. Go play a bunch and see what you like best.

The only thing I would be wary of is a Fender Stratocaster. I have one of those. It's fine, but some models have a "floating bridge" because of the whammy bar, which causes the dumb thing to go out of tune like crazy. I took the bar off and it's okay now, I just need to tune it like three times before I play.

^^(^)Yeah, I have a store not to close by that I can go to to test out alot of them. That really irritates me how you keep having to re-tune the gosh darn thing almost every time you play it. Jeesh! Well, I'll look into the testing out all the guitars then. Thanks!

P.S.-When I was reading the reviews on a ton of sites, it sounded like you either get a realy amazing guitar, or never buy from that brand again kind. What in terms of quality is the best brand?

Chmilo24, I have both versions of GH and they ROCK!

First, like others have already said, head out to the store and try out a bunch of different brands/stlyes of guitars. See what feels good in your hands and sounds good to you. Play them both sitting down and standing up. See how well the guitar balances on you. Some people find certain guitars too heavy for them, and you want to find this out before spending your money.

Now, I personally find the modern era Stratocasters to be cheaply made, and Gibson guitars to be vastly overrated for the price. I much prefer stuff from smaller companies like Paul Reed Smith or Brian Moore. I have a Brian Moore guitar, and it is easily the finest guitar I have ever had the pleasure of playing. Ibanez also makes some really good guitars, and are worth checking out.

If you're going to spend a lot of money on a guitar, take the time to audition a lot of instruments, and don't totally rely on reviews or marketing hype. Get the instrument that best suits you and your playing style.

dt

I'd just recommend staying away from the factory-made ones. They are usually cheaper to buy, but from my experience require more things like fret hammering and neck to body work.

My ESP MH-50, which I've had less than 6 months need fret hammering already, which will cost me 50 bucks.

Might wanna try a nice Dean guitar. They're nice.

depends on what you play too. i noticed out of a Fender Twin Reverb amp i can not get the tones i like that a STRAT makes than a guitar with humbuckers, like a Gibson. Both are good guitars. In my opinion and experience, Mex and Jap strats are poorly made. Youll run into tunning issues and neck issues without a doubt. I would stay away from a cheap strat - unless you can find one with a hardtail style bridge. Since you seem to have money to spend, look at G&L Guitars - They were Leo Fenders company after he sold Fender to CBS. American made and super good quality - but costly , 800$ and up for a strat. check the out.

^I like to play rock in general, more modern rock. Stuff with a lot of guitar in it. I also like to play songs that are on Guitar Hero. I just like the bigger brands because if you walk up to someone and say, I've got a Gibson, they'll go nuts. Whoh, you've got a Gibson! But the brands that aren't as well known probably do sound better, and that's what I'm really going for.

Well, if you like the sound of the band Kansas, you may like Dean guitars. Kerry Livgren from Kansas was the first to endorse Dean. Dave Mustaine of Megadeth, who plays music much different, also just switched to Dean from ESP.

I've played a Dean, and the necks feel really good, they aren't as well known as Fender, Ibanez, or Gibson, and the tone is good depending on the exact guitar.

This all depends on the sound you're going to and your price range. I'm a big fan of older Peavey guitars, but my main guitar right now is a newer Ibanez GSZ series that I'm in love with. I can get pretty much any sound out of it I want with the right amp settings. Also, it runs more in the $600 range then in the $1,500-$2,000 range you'll find in a Fender or Gibson which will also confine you to a sound.

Just my two cents

i own 2 Ibanez guitars. The Jet King II and a cheap GAX70. They are work horse guitars and after 5 years and a number bangs, gigs, hot - cold temps, drops, swings ..etc... the GAX70 still plays damn well. I bought a mex Telecaster and it was a disaster from the get-go. Theres good and bad in all. You just have to play everything you can, dont just buy a Gibson for the sake of owning a Gibson (some people are like that). Play the crap guitars, play USED guitars ( they usualy prove they are worthy) sample a little of this an that. youll come across soemthing.

Are you just starting to play or have you been for a while?

Well, I can play pretty much anything you put in front of me within 30 mins, except solos, which take a little longer. I read Tabs. Sort of self- taught and just play for fun. I just wanted a cheap guitar that sounded like a really expensive guitar, that sounded good.

^Great piece of advice. Thanks!

Are you just starting to play or have you been for a while?

Well, I can play pretty much anything you put in front of me within 30 mins, except solos, which take a little longer. I read Tabs. Sort of self- taught and just play for fun. I just wanted a cheap guitar that sounded like a really expensive guitar, that sounded good.

^Great piece of advice. Thanks!

Tabs are very easy to learn, that's what i use. I don't think I'll ever learn to read music.

Sooo many descisions.....As I am making my final judgement, we should change the name of this thread to "What Guitar You Prefer Most". or "What Guitar do You Play"? To keep it going.

I'm really leaning twoards an Ibanez, but Gibson is still up there. Fenders sound like they really have bugs, and a Squire might not be enough for what I'm aiming for...I'll also try out a ton once I find the time. Thanks a bunch to all of you that replied!

EDIT: Ok, after extensive searching, I've picked this, and want to try it out sometime. It is not for sure, but it looks the best to me. What are your opinions on it? I picked the Ibanez Xiphos, blue special mix thingy, or the Ibanez RG550 20th Anniversary Guitar. They give the nice crunchy, sharp, crisp sound I want. I then compared it to gibson, and after hearing Ibanez, the sound is way more of what I'm looking for. Ibanez's got the looks, and the sound. What do you think?