TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Rumor / Crazy Idea Superthread

I went searching for the rumor about the SeaWorld San Diego coaster, and this is what I found:

http://dodgeprojects.construction.com/Sea-World-Manta-Exhibit---Ride-Attraction-2012-Carpentry---Millwork---California_stcVVproductId110042886VVcatId546259VVviewprod.htm

Is this where contractors pick up the jobs? I am not sure. I will be going to SoCal in 2012...so I look forward to following this project, no matter what happens to it!

Sorry if this has been posted already, I think I went through all the recent pages. The LA times shows pics of SWO's Manta and had a few errors in an article as well, but mentions a bid is out there. I won't bother posting because of the inconsistencies in the story.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went searching for the rumor about the SeaWorld San Diego coaster, and this is what I found:

http://dodgeprojects.construction.com/Sea-World-Manta-Exhibit---Ride-Attraction-2012-Carpentry---Millwork---California_stcVVproductId110042886VVcatId546259VVviewprod.htm

Is this where contractors pick up the jobs? I am not sure. I will be going to SoCal in 2012...so I look forward to following this project, no matter what happens to it!

Sorry if this has been posted already, I think I went through all the recent pages. The LA times shows pics of SWO's Manta and had a few errors in an article as well, but mentions a bid is out there. I won't bother posting because of the inconsistencies in the story.

Yup, someone else already tried to pass this off as proof of a coaster a couple of pages back. Many are still waiting for official confirmation.

Something to keep in mind, and I don't mean this to be a Debbie Downer at all, but SWSD did get this far with a Premiere launched coaster design that also fell through during the design and early development phase.

True! Gotta love San Diego and their cranky ass residents!

• 3 weeks later...

So Screamscape is reporting this morning that Universal could be replacing Jimmy Neutron with a Despicable Me attraction, and that Kong 360 could return replacing Disaster:

2012 - Despicable Me & Kong 360 - Rumor - (2/14/11) Screamscape sources tell us that the license rights for Universal Studios Florida to use the Jimmy Neutron character will quickly run out. As such, we may see the Neutron ride close down sometime in Spring or early Summer, as the last hold-over from the old Nickelodeon days. A new attraction great animated family attraction is reported to be in the works to replace it based on Universal’s own Despicable Me film, which I’m sure will be full of those crazy Minions. (I just gotta love the Minions. I think they may be a distant relative of sorts to Screamie…)

On another note, there is another small rumor floating around the Net today claiming that a version of King Kong 360 – 3D is rumored to possibly replace Disaster. While I know this is something I’ve talked to a few people about myself over the past few months, my sources had pretty much confirmed that the powers that be had other fish to fry at the moment (Neutron, Terminator 2, etc) and any plans for Kong were off the table until those issues were handled first.

Still… Kong was quite popular in Hollywood, where the only complaint I’ve heard was that it was much too short of an experience. As part of the whole Backlot Tour experience however, they could get away with Kong being only a 90 second experience. Somehow I think the Orlando crowd is going to want something a little longer if they were to do it.

The Jacksonville, Florida Civic Council wants an amusement park to be built in the city's downtown area.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- When people think of theme parks in Florida, they normally think of Orlando attractions like Disney World and Universal Studios.

But if Jacksonville's Civic Council has its way, there will be a theme park in downtown Jacksonville.

The Northbank Redevelopment Task Force is proposing to have an undeveloped piece of land on the Northbank of the St. Johns River become a theme park with roller coasters, mini-golf and zip lines.

While some people are saying the River City has become just another victim of the economic downturn, members of the task force said downtown Jacksonville can't prosper economically unless they find a way to attract people to the Northbank.

"The ideas for the shipyards, according to the task force, is to develop an entertainment center, a theme park with a Ferris wheel, a zip line, adventure golf and those sorts of features," said Karen Mathis, of the Financial News and Daily Record.

Task force members said an amusement park built at the old shipyard would attract new businesses and raise property values. They said the area has the potential to deliver economic benefits to the entire city.

"The idea is to link the entire Northbank and get a pedestrian flow for the people, and it would start at the center for the performing arts, move on down past the Landing, and that's where the convention center is being proposed," Mathis said.

Task force members said the location is prime property, with nearly 40 acres of land and right along the riverfront. They said the hardest part is to convince private investors to spend millions on Jacksonville.

Residents said the downtown area is in desperate need of revitalization, but some aren't sure an amusement park will work.

"We need cash investors to do things, and we entice that through tax incentives," resident Kimble Medlin said. "I don't want to see property taxes pay for this. It has to be from outside investors."

"I think it would be awesome," resident Patrick Rogers said. "The more attraction, people want attractions for their kids."

Link

• 2 weeks later...
Avatar 4-D replacing Terminator 2 in 2014

...No...No...NO...

I already HATE Avatar...And now the biggest disappointment of a movie I've seen is replacing...The most storied attraction I've been on in Universal...

I understand that there's a new age of fans coming, but you NEED to preserve the older attractions! You lose half of the demographic that way!

...No...No...NO...

I already HATE Avatar...And now the biggest disappointment of a movie I've seen is replacing...The most storied attraction I've been on in Universal...

I understand that there's a new age of fans coming, but you NEED to preserve the older attractions! You lose half of the demographic that way!

Unfortunately, Universal has a habit of replace rather than add...look at USH.. ET to Mummy, Backdraft & Special Effects to Transformers and other attractions over the years have gone the same way...

I was recently thinking, who remembers Batman and Robin: The Chiller?

Sure, it was a troubled ride with TONS of downtime...But what if, perhaps, we took away the aspect of power shortages?

Remember the original plans for Lightnin' Loops when Batman was coming? Remember the idea of "Lightnin' Loop", a one-track version of Lightnin' Loops?....

Perhaps, to decrease the amount of downtime, Great Adventure could take the Batman or Robin side, and build it in another part of the park as a one-track coaster?

Sure, it'd require TONS of maintenance as the original coaster did, but it'd be MUCH less costly, and would benefit the park better than The Chiller did. A little re-naming, re-painting and re-theming, and it'd be a perfect addition to another part of the park...

Looks like SeaWorld San Antonio could be getting some cool things in the future (Screamscape):

2012/2013 - Aquatica - Rumor - (2/22/11) Yesterday I touched upon the idea of SeaWorld Texas building a new version of Aquatica, and as it turns out, my sources tell me that I pretty much hit the nail right on the head. An Aquatica is said to be in the works, but it apparently be built as a large scale expansion to the park’s existing small waterpark. The big kicker however is that much like the new waterpark added onto Legoland California last summer, this new waterpark expansion will no longer be free, and become an upcharge attraction to all guests.

From what I’m told one of the working ideas right now is to repurpose the former Clydesdale stable area just inside the main entrance into serving as a new entrance area to the Aquatica park. Other than the poor and often forgotten Shark exhibit way way off in the corner by itself, that whole side of the property is pretty much ripe for expansion as a new top-tier waterpark experience, as it is mostly the overgrown remains of the former “HBJ” land, where the old map used to be.

(2/21/11) According to this article, Blackstone could be on the verge of dropping some major capital on the SeaWorld Texas theme park over the next few years. According to the park President, SeaWorld Texas will become a multi-day experience, which to me says that they may be looking at building an Aquatica next door perhaps.

2013 - Themed Coaster or Thrill Ride - Rumor & Speculation - (2/23/11) With the rumors plans to make a Texas version of Aquatica outed, more whispers are coming my way of what may be planned for the rest of the park over the next few years. As always with the former Busch parks, it can be easy at time to predict their growth patterns based on what the other parks in the chain are doing, and the one clear path visible right now is a series of roller coaster rides packaged with lots of theming and animal exhibits.

SeaWorld Florida already opened Manta last year, Busch Gardens Tampa will open Cheetah Hunt this year. In 2012 we will see two more such projects open: a new different version Manta at SeaWorld California and a new top-secret multi-launch coaster going to Busch Gardens Williamsburg. At this point, SeaWorld Texas will be the only park without one, so I’d expect to see the park add their own such project (maybe another Manta) in 2013.

Your thoughts?

...No...No...NO...

Unfortunately, Universal has a habit of replace rather than add...look at USH.. ET to Mummy, Backdraft & Special Effects to Transformers and other attractions over the years have gone the same way...

T2 the movie is 20 years old now and it's probably time to move on to the 'new' thing. It more than ran it's course.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

^^

I think this would make the park BIG if they did all this IMO. Since there is really nothing to do at the park. Thats why people go to Fiesta Texas for the rides and people go to SeaWorld Texas to watch the animal shows. The new kids area for 2011 will be a great hit since Fiesta Texas removed Wiggles World and everybody knows Seamse Street. I know alot of people that are going see this area. The Aquatica will be a great addition to the park, there waterpark already is FREAKIN amazing (IMO better than White Water Bay @ Fiesta Texas and Schliterbhan). A downside to that would be yo would need to pay extra-charge to get in and that might make people go to Fiesta Texas for the free water park in the summer months. I think a new coaster that should not be a Manta is what the park needs but something unique (like Journey to Atlantis). This park will have a great future!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

^Wouldn't that be nice? I don't even know when that park isn't crowded. But I've heard the coasters would need significant modification in order to handle two trains, unfortunately.

I'm glad they're gearing up to announce the new attraction! I'm sure it will be great for the park, but the real question for me is, will it entice me to go again? Then I could try the new and improved Tremors!

Current speculation is making it sound like it could be a water park attraction, but who knows?

From Screamscape:

Texas - (3/8/11) According to Screamscape sources, Landry’s plans for their new amusement park pier on the site of the former Flagship hotel in Galveston will include a Gerstlauer EuroFighter style coaster. Previous rumors pointed to an S&S El Loco style ride, but it looks like the EuroFighter proposal won out. More on this as I find out.

Thoughts?