TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Rumor / Crazy Idea Superthread

^ Wow! Brazil is really starting to expand in the coaster market along with China.

As for the CP water ride, I really don't see them getting rid of ANY of their coasters for a new water ride. Maybe a few flat rides will be moved or something, but the coasters are gonna stay.

My magic Dippin Dots cup claims that China will be receiving more and more coasters within the next few years. I can see some more record breakers and possible prototypes heading over there sometime soon.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the CP water ride, I really don't see them getting rid of ANY of their coasters for a new water ride. Maybe a few flat rides will be moved or something, but the coasters are gonna stay.

Yeah I agree. If CP gets rid of a coaster, it will be for another coaster, not a flume.

Yeah I agree. If CP gets rid of a coaster, it will be for another coaster, not a flume.

I disagree... I think it is very possible that Maverick could have been planned as a land swap with White Water Landing. A sweet "mine train" coaster takes the place of a flume in phase 1, then a great flume ride takes up residence in place of a coaster (CCMR) in phase 2.

Possibly, but Cedar Point is pretty stubborn when it comes to having the most coasters. Losing the title to build a water ride just doesn't seem like the CP way. Next summer SFMM will have 17 coasters to be tied with CP once again, I wouldn't be surprised if CP doesn't remove any coasters any time soon for that very reason.

Tkky, the idea of a land swap at CP is interesting (no doubt), and suspect even if it was true at one point, things have changed, while I do remember SFMM announcing they were planning on reclaiming the title of most coasters. Now with their current financial situation, that may have been delayed or changed as well.

^ While I agree us CP fanboys swoon, there is MUCH more to it than that imo. America's Roller Coast falls a bit flat when another park has more coasters, don't ya think. And to be honest, SFGA and SFMM are quickly becoming viable competitors to CP. I live in Boston, SFGA is much closer, but up until ET, their line-up was always a bit short. Now, it's light house point and the CP atmosphere that motivates me to drive the extra 6 hours to CP from Boston vs. SFGA.

I think you're going to see Demon Drop get removed next year and replaced with the worlds biggest Intamin Zac Spin. CP can't loose the title if they want to "seriously" market themselves as America's Roller Coast. imo. I also suspect they know exactly how they are going to reclaim the height record and are just waiting for the right moment.

Wasn't there an article in the LA Times recently with someone high up in SFMM management guaranteeing that they WILL reclaim the title f most coasters? If so, then it's far from being over.

I read that article and it means nothing, especially considering the chain may not even exist 2 years from now. A few PR people putting a positive spin on the loss in the coaster race and nothing more. They also specified "one day" not next year!

Mark Shapiro clearly stated that SFMM's pursuit of the coaster race was a mistake. Cedar Point doesn't need to have more coasters than anyone else to be called America's Roller Coast. They coined the phrase.

And I always assumed it was about the quality of their line up, not just slapping down new coasters in some outrageously stupid race.

If I was wrong about that, then any respect I had left for that park just went down the drain.

^ I saw pics of that in the aerial CP thread. I think its because the track needs replacing.

Now, it's light house point and the CP atmosphere that motivates me to drive the extra 6 hours to CP from Boston vs. SFGA.

Wait, so concrete and trash cans are considered atmosphere now?

Actually I’ve never been to CP so I don’t know exactly how many trash cans/concrete the park has.

I think you're going to see Demon Drop get removed next year and replaced with the worlds biggest Intamin Zac Spin. CP can't loose the title if they want to "seriously" market themselves as America's Roller Coast. imo. I also suspect they know exactly how they are going to reclaim the height record and are just waiting for the right moment.

They got rid of a number of other rides for coasters, so I can see that happening. (Raptor and Maverick stand out the most)

--

Cedar Point doesn't need to have more coasters than anyone else to be called America's Roller Coast. They coined the phrase.
I always thought that “America’s Roller Coast” came to be just because they had the most roller coasters. If they didn’t have the most coasters, they’d probably still be considered “The Amazement Park.”

And I always assumed it was about the quality of their line up, not just slapping down new coasters in some outrageously stupid race.

If I was wrong about that, then any respect I had left for that park just went down the drain.

I don’t think it’s about the race; it’s more about the publicity.

Yeah, I see it now, I should have looked down before posting that. It's been like 3 days since I've had a fast (went home from college for the weekend) computer, so I'm just now catching up on all the TPR, TPOL, etc. threads, lol. Sorry about that.

while I do remember SFMM announcing they were planning on reclaiming the title of most coasters. Now with their current financial situation, that may have been delayed or changed as well.

I also remember both Cedar Fair and Six Flags commenting to the effect that the coaster race wasn't as important as increasing the family appeal of the parks... and both CP and SFMM added kids attractions (Planet Snoopy, Thomas Town). Are they done? who knows... I get the feeling that (Cedar Point, at least) will still be catching up after focusing so much on thrill rides.

During the demolition of WWL / construction of Maverick, I got the feeling (and think I read in a couple interviews) that CP wanted to add a water attraction in the near future.

That's why i THINK one is coming (not to mention that I obviously WANT one).

Is it too early in its life to send Iron Dragon packing? I think I like it more than most people do, and it always seems to have a crowd when I go, but...

I also suspect they know exactly how they are going to reclaim the height record and are just waiting for the right moment.

They should just add another 40 feet to the top of TTD...

Those kinds of things eat up a lot of land (and steel), and I don't think it is worth it to add another tall, fast coaster. TTD / Kingda Ka are so fast that they go through that track in just a few seconds

I heard a rumor that HRP was gonna keep the Hard Rock name and that the company purchasing the park actually operated a numbrer of Hard Rock restaraunts.

I wasn't sure whether to post this here, or in the HRP thread but since I can't confirm it, I'll post it here.

Those kinds of things eat up a lot of land (and steel), and I don't think it is worth it to add another tall, fast coaster. TTD / Kingda Ka are so fast that they go through that track in just a few seconds

Doesn't matter what Cedar Point builds, the majority of the time it's the tallest and fastest of it's kind at that time. Skyhawk, MaXair, Wicked Twister, Mean Streak, Raptor, only to name a few. I could see CP building a tall and fast coaster in the form of a dive machine. Perhaps 230-240 feet or so. In my opinion, they need something else big at the front of the park to intimidate people as they enter in Demon Drop and Disaster Transport's spots. Raptor used to be that coaster, but over time it's lost it's intimidation factor.

^ So a 310 foot and 420 foot coaster aren't intimidating enough?

Even though I've never been to CP before, I don't think its difficult to spot a 300 or 400+ coaster from a couple thousand feet away. And last time I checked, 300-400+ foot tall coasters are pretty intimidating to the GP.

So according to my magic Dippin Dots cup, the most likely coasters CP will get next would be...

-GCI Woodie

-B&M Dive Machine

-Some random family coaster

-Another possible height/speed record breaker (although not really soon enough)

A major water attraction is VERY LIKELY to be built in a number of years as well.

Yes they are, especially when driving over the causeway, but MF is way at the back near Frontiertown and TTD is sort of in the back half of the park at the end of the main midway. Don't get me wrong, you can see them from EVERYWHERE in the park, but they aren't right in your face, if you will, like Raptor is, as you walk in the front entrance. I'm just saying, imagine a coaster like a 230 foot Dive machine towering over the front entrance, diving down right into your lap as you walk in...it's hard to explain to someone who's never been to CP before.

^ There's a 210 foot coaster near the entrance of my homepark and if you're like all the tourists and decide to park in the main parking lot, you literally sit right next to it so I know what you're talking about when it comes down to intimidation. Not to mention I've seen my share of CP entrance shots to know what can fit there and what can't.

If I'm not mistaken, a coaster this size of the average modern Dive Machine probably wouldn't fit near the entrance without having to move or demolish some of the rides nearby so the entrance seems highly unlikely for a coaster the size of something like Griffon or SheiKra. An Oblivion-sized DM seems much more feasable.

If CP decided to build a coaster near the entrance, I predict a small family coaster. The largest possible coaster that could fit would probably be a GCI.

^ There's a 210 foot coaster near the entrance of my homepark and if you're like all the tourists and decide to park in the main parking lot, you literally sit right next to it so I know what you're talking about when it comes down to intimidation. Not to mention I've seen my share of CP entrance shots to know what can fit there and what can't.

If I'm not mistaken, a coaster this size of the average modern Dive Machine probably wouldn't fit near the entrance without having to move or demolish some of the rides nearby so the entrance seems highly unlikely for a coaster the size of something like Griffon or SheiKra. An Oblivion-sized DM seems much more feasable.

If CP decided to build a coaster near the entrance, I predict a small family coaster. The largest possible coaster that could fit would probably be a GCI.

Yeah, as with mine. Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood sits right against the road, and it is definitely very intimidating, especially as you drive up. I really love that aspect of it.

Yeah, things would definitely have to be removed or moved around for a Dive Machine to be built. People have analyzed this over at The Point Online until they turned blue in the face, with satellite pictures and whatnot. I think that if a coaster as big as a Dive Machine were built in that spot, the Aquatic Stadium, Disaster Transport and Demon Drop would have to be removed (DT and DD are great possibilities since DD has been for sale for years, and DT is, well DT), and the games area and employee parking lot would have to be moved to different locations.

That has also been proposed over at TPOL. Build a GCI (that possibly goes out onto the beach) and turn the Wicked Twister/MaXair/Space Needle area into a boardwalk area, I think that would be pretty cool, and the idea could work well if done correctly.

^ I know Demon Drop has a chance of being removed because it is aging and parts are difficult to come by, but do you think CP would be willing to get rid of a popular (indoor) family attraction for another high thrills coaster? (I can't say anything about the stadium because I'm not sure if its used or not.)

I believe that if a DM were to be built near the entrance, it would be Oblivion-sized as fewer rides need to be moved/removed. (like Demon Drop)

Your GCI seems to be the most plausabe choice for a coaster by the entrance because GCIs are generally small, cheap, and very thrilling. The park is also overdue for a major wood coaster anyway, not to mention that no rides need to be removed/moved according to your plan.

Also a family spinning coaster could definately fit there.

If you want a major steel coaster, I can see a Gerstlauer Eurofighter squeezed in there somewhere.

Yeah, there are many possibilities for that area. Only time will tell.

I have a question that can hopefully be answered. What happened to the Cedar Point Funcam? Not the ones on their official site, but the one you could move around and such from the Sandusky Register. It's been down for a while now.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting article in the Buffalo News this morning about a water park sign that has appeared in Clarence (Buffalo suburb). Only problem is that the town officials know nothing about it and the owner of the land cannot be reached for comment!

Gee, wouldn't one think that with a name like 'Thundering Falls' it would be better suited say...in Niagara Falls??

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/northernsuburbs/story/639196.html

(I can't say anything about the stadium because I'm not sure if its used or not.)

The stadium has been used for the past couple years as different shows. Once the Dolphin show was removed they had a high dive show, then it became the BMX show they use today. I don't think its going to be around very long personally, but then again they still have the old IMAX theater as an Ice Skating show, so you never know I suppose.

I know last season there were some markings on the ground in the parking lot behind Disaster Transport, but those might have been for the fireworks on Independence Day.

This was just posted on screamscape!

Busch Gardens Williamsburg:

2010-2012 - Park Expansion / New Land - Rumor - (4/16/09) Our spies tell us that the park still has big expansion plans on deck to add a new land to the park, taking over the former site of Drachen Fire. The unfortunate side of things, is that many of Busch’s big plans were put on hold when InBev took over the company, so there is no telling if this plan is still moving forward or just on hold for the moment. Either way, it seems that the multi-year plan to build an entirely new country (Spain is the most likley) in still very solid. It’s all a matter of “when” and not “if” at this point from what I’m told.

In addition to adding a new train station to service this area on the line, we’ve heard about two major new attractions that will also be fighting for your attention. One would be the chain’s second B&M Flying coaster, where the design will be based on what they’re learning from Manta right now. Like many of the rides in Williamsburg, I’d expect this one to be an even bigger and longer coaster than what we’ve seen from Manta already, and given the location, I can help but wonder just how close some of it may some to Big Bad Wolf, or perhaps even diving down close to the river. The second big attraction being talked about would be actually something unique for the Busch parks, their first true “freefall” style tower ride. However don’t expect to see another Drop Zone style tower or something as basic as that. From the sound of things, they want to keep the entire experience INDOORS... offering an experience more like Mystery Castle from Phantasialand in Germany. Since this is a multi-year project, lets assume the plan is to build up the land in complete phases, so expect one new ride with each phase if everything gets approved.