TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Rumor / Crazy Idea Superthread

And for all those people who are talking about the B&M flyers dying out.

I think that if that's the case, the flying coaster design in general wouldn't die out. I think probably Intamin, Mack, or some other company might get the idea and improve it greatly. Hell, Vekoma might improve the flying coaster if Stingray is a very popular coaster worldwide.

--James

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if B&M flyers are dying out (& I'm not a big flyer fan so I don't really care) I wonder what CP will build in 2010? I still think they are going to build one of the last B&M flyers to compete with SFMM.

Cedar Point does not compete with Magic Mountain.

If you are talking about for bragging rights for the most coasters, both CEO's purse strings are talking more than their egos right now.

If you are talking about competing for the same customers, that is not a valid point either. There are probably less than 1,000 people that seriously make a choice between going to Cedar Point or SFMM in a given year. In the end if they visit one park this year they will more than likely get to the other park in the future.

I think Cedar Point's mgmt. is intellegent and are most likely planing on laying low for 2 or possibly 3 years and then will come out with something that will really shake things up. Either an El Toro sized intamin pre-fab. or the tallest dive coaster out there. I hope they stay away from flyers, 4d coasters, and non-pre-fabricated woodies. I think they're are intellegent enough to do so.

I will not stake anything on these, but browsing and watching a LOT of different websites this is what I have heard tossed around:

Cedar Point: New water-ride (think Holiday World) waterflume in 2010- bad news is that it will replace Corkscrew Or Cedar Creek Mine Ride (let's hope not)!

Six Flags Magic Mountian: New Tony Hawk-type spinning coaster 2010. (those are cool). Supposedly near where Flashback stood.

Six Flags Great America: Hurricane Harbor expansion 2010 with a SFKK Deluge type ride as the centerpiece but with a couple new other slides. 2011 new GCI coaster. (bad news again as it may have Iron Wolf's old footprint but extend out to where American Eagle is).

Busch Gardens Europe: New flyer coaster in 2011. I've never been there but it's on my to-do list flyer or not.

Six Flags St. Louis: (and I may have mentioned this before) another flying coaster in the area where River King Mine Train and Screaming Eagle has "all" that open land" according to an employee on my visit there last summer. Lift near Eagle and layout towards RKMT.

Regardless: I will believe all of the above when I actually SEE it! In the meantime it's fun to think about, but I Would Not Count on it. We shall see.

^Wow I really hope those^ rumors for SF Great America & St. Louis aren't true. I'm hoping for some better additions than that for two of the closest SF to me. Great America really needs something outstanding to elevate it. Enough of buccaneer battle and dark knight already. A new coaster in place of Iron Wolf would be alright I guess, I just hope it's not wooden. American Eagle & Viper are outstanding woodies already.

edit: unless its an intamin pre-fab woodie, obviously

SFGAdv built two major coasters during the 2005-2006 season.

Kingda Ka - Intamin Strata

El Toro - Intamin PnP

SFMM is building a major coaster this year and planning a coaster next year.

Terminator - GCI

2010's new ride - ???

I predict something a major attraction for SFMM next year.

I also predict two major coasters for SFGAm within (at least) the next 10 years.

Anybody also notice...

2006 - SFOG added Goliath (B&M hyper)

2008 - SFSTl added Evel Knievel (GCI)

SFOT is the only original Six Flags park that hasn't recieved anything major within the past few years. I predict a major coaster for SFOT within the next few years.

Six Flags Magic Mountian: New Tony Hawk-type spinning coaster 2010. (those are cool). Supposedly near where Flashback stood.

I really hope that rumor proves false. I've never gotten sick on a coaster until I rode THBS up in SFDK. Though I didn't lose my lunch, that ride nearly ruined our trip. Even after the ride stopped, the car spun like a Gravitron on a centrifuge. We had to sit down for a couple hours before either of us could even think about riding Medusa. I think that Sierra Sidewinder at KBF is a much better spinner, though rather short...

I'm still hoping for a modest little El Loco model, or a new launched coaster.

As for all the flyer haters out there, I've only ridden Tatsu, but I think its incredible. Sorry you disagree, but I think it would be an amazing addition to any park, and I know many enthusiasts feel the same way! Pretzel loops rock!

Cedar Point: New water-ride (think Holiday World) waterflume in 2010- bad news is that it will replace Corkscrew Or Cedar Creek Mine Ride (let's hope not)!

I have also heard of the water flume ride eventually coming to CP, but I would be hard-pressed to believe that it would come at the expense of Corkscrew. Simply because of the "signature historical shot" of the loops going over the people on the midway - and the fact that it seems to be a well-maintained classic Arrow that people enjoy riding.

I could see them squeezing in a big water ride over in the Frontier Trail area - perhaps over by Millie's Island...without having to get rid of any of the coasters.

I had almost forgotten this little tidbit (tho it's not really a rumor).

When I was last visited SFMM for the TPR Tatsu camp-out Media Day- I rode Psyclone with some kid (although he was really probably twentyish or so) who kept informing me "This ride kinda sucks" the whole time we were on it. And yeah it did. But then as we were almost back to the station he said "It'd be nice if they could put a 'Good' wooden coaster here"

Well, kid, whoever you are and wherever you've gone- - -you got your wish.

Viva Terminator.

Hopefully I will get to ride it within a year or so.

I have also heard of the water flume ride eventually coming to CP, but I would be hard-pressed to believe that it would come at the expense of Corkscrew.

I doubt CP will remove any of its coasters anytime soon.

SFOT did receive Tony Hawk's Big Spin last year which cost about the same amount of money as Evil Knieval.

Yes, but Tony Hawk isn't really considered a "major" coaster.

As I look into my magical Dippin Dots cup, I've discovered something new.

-Current Industry Trends-

B&Ms are still popular despite the failing world economy. There are fewer B&Ms being built though.

B&M Dive Machines and B&M Hypers seem to be a major trend with at least one DM being built per year. One hyper is also being added per year but this may slow down as CF may stop buying hypers.

Intamins aren't as popular as they were a couple years ago. I can only think of four Intamins opening this year. Jet Rescue (Aquatrax), Dream of Meditteranean (Mega-Lite), iSpeed (Rocket), and the ZacSpin going to Grona Lund.

Gerstlauer Eurofighters are becoming more and more popular because of their size and the thrills they produce.

Woodies have always remained popular. Three GCI woodies and two GG woodies are opening this year. Expect to see a few more parks asking for wood coasters within the next few years. I unfortunately don't see many more pre-fabs though.

Six Flags: If SF survives this year, expect more ride rehabs in the future. SFA probably won't recieve anything major, but they will make a "big" announcement sometime.

Busch: Manta's success may bring a flyer to Williamsburg. I'd rather see more flats or even a Schwarzkopf clone, although I don't see this in the future.

Cedar Fair: It seems that Carowinds may be getting the long rumored hyper so CGA is the only former Paramount Park without a new major coaster. KBF may lose some more charm and add more trash cans. And a water ride does not seem out of the question for CP.

Cedar Point removing a coaster has been an ongoing debate on a few forums since Maverick was built. I think there is a great chance one will be removed, but which one has been the question. I'm not going to get too much into detail, because I have discussed this well in-depth in the past already, but I think the two most likely coasters to be removed are Cedar Creek Mine Ride or Disaster transport...each for various reasons. Wildcat is a debatable coaster, it's family friendly, but it did crash last year, and perhaps CP wants a modern wild mouse type coaster soon? I don't think Corkscrew will be removed because it's too much of a Cedar Point icon and landmark to take out.

Cedar Point getting a new water ride is a great possibility.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they got a Dive Machine in the future. A Dive Machine just has Cedar Point written all over it. It's tall, fast, and it offers a huge thrill. Besides, a Dive Machine would also take care of the floorless aspect for those wanting a floorless B&M. I just don't see Cedar Point going small again for a good amount of years. A 90 foot GCI? I mean come on, Maverick was a GREAT investment, but it's Cedar Point we're talking about here. It's been too long since a monstrous thrill machine has been built there. Lastly, it might deter people from going down to BGE. Why travel that far when one is at Cedar Point?

I don't think Corkscrew will be removed because it's too much of a Cedar Point icon and landmark to take out.

of course, it can certainly be replaced by a better icon... unless there is some reason that aging Arrow loopers are the only coasters that can loop over the midway.

My bet would be on the Mine Ride... possibly replaced with a similar ride or a log flume... (and boy would i love to see something like Knott's log flume at CP!)

I would like to see a Pilgrim's Plunge/Perilous Plunge type flume at CP also, but what would that mean for Snake River Falls? Shouldn't that be removed first? It's not really that old, it was built in 1993 and is still pretty tall and fast. I think we'll see a flume-type ride at Cedar Point, similar to White Water Landing, before we see SRF removed and a Pilgrim's Plunge built.

I would like to see a Pilgrim's Plunge/Perilous Plunge type flume at CP also, but what would that mean for Snake River Falls? Shouldn't that be removed first? It's not really that old, it was built in 1993 and is still pretty tall and fast. I think we'll see a flume-type ride at Cedar Point, similar to White Water Landing, before we see SRF removed and a Pilgrim's Plunge built.

Do they even make old flume rides anymore?

^(^^^) I think tkkyj was talking about Knott's actual flume, Timber Mountain Log Ride. But I agree, though, that an actual flume would be a great addition to CP.

I've heard considerable rumors about a steel coaster leaving CP by 2010, specifically the 4 mentioned above, CCMR, Corkscrew, Disaster Transport, and Wildcat. I'd agree with FeelTheFORCE in that DT or CCMR are most likely to leave, as I don't know that the other two take up substantial land to warrant their removal.

As much as I'd love to see CP get something with a good number of inversions soon, I'd patiently wait if they were to get something like those flumes on Intamin's webpage...

There was an early rumor here in Brazil claiming that Six Flags America's Two-Face was sold to a Brazilian theme park.

We contacted SFA and they confirmed this information, but denied to tell which park did it.

I decided to post it here in The Rumor Super Thread, because it's better to wait for the park release about this purchasing before creating a new topic.

Two-Face will be the second inverted coaster in Brazil! And in less than two years!