TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Rumor / Crazy Idea Superthread

I was just watching Adventure Time on cartoon network and I started thinking what if a Six Flags park (or another park that has the rights) made a new themed area themed to Adventure Time. That would be really cool in my opinion and would be a great family themed area for almost all ages.

Also I have been thinking how cool would it be if Cedar Point had a B&M flying coaster that went over the lake!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Or any coaster go over the lake? It might have to make some interesting supports, but that certainly would be fun! If even GateKeeper dived into a turn right over the lake would make the ride be that much better!

Six Flags Magic Mountain is going to get 5 roller coasters in 2014. They will remove Viper, Revolution, Superman, and Batman.

Seems legit.

One of the will be "Brake Run: The Ride", which will be the world's first 300 mph launch coaster that will launch right into a brake run. It's short, has a gimmick, so it will fit right in.

Six Flags Magic Mountain is going to get 5 roller coasters in 2014. They will remove Viper, Revolution, Superman, and Batman.

Seems legit.

One of the will be "Brake Run: The Ride", which will be the world's first 300 mph launch coaster that will launch right into a brake run. It's short, has a gimmick, so it will fit right in.

We already have one of those!

Six Flags building a giga coaster before the year 2020. The other question is what park would it be?? my bet is that Great Adventure would be the first Six Flags park to receive a giga coaster.

311 feet, 94mph, seems legit!

• 3 weeks later...
I've always wondered this ever since Formula Rossa was built, and maybe someone can figure it out and answer it. This is a theoretical and hypothetical question, never mind about feasibility, cost, space required, etc. Say FR kept the current launch, but the rest of the layout was a TTD/KK clone. What would be the theoretical height of the tophat in which FR, traveling at 149 MPH, could clear? Is that speed enough for 500+ feet, or would it need to go faster?

I know this quote is mad old, but a cute factoid for those who are interested:

Newton doesn't have a height or speed limit, so I was actually able to model this. Making a top hat in accordance with the ASTM regulations for g force limits, assuming the default friction coefficient is realistic, a 150 mph coaster can actually make it up a roughly *720* foot top hat. However, that number may be off by I'd say up to 10% (it might not be) because Newton only generates the design of the track regarding to the G's measured in terms of the center of the train and I can't export a coaster that big into NL to evaluate the G's at the ends of the train to see whether or not they would be ASTM compliant (the whole train will go the velocity of the center of gravity, or the center of the train, but if the radius of the track is tighter for the rear or the front of the train as opposed to where the middle of the train is, then the G's will be higher at that spot, if you know the high school physics formula of circular acceleration = velocity^2 / radius then it should be pretty easy understand.)

^In the ideal case, where rolling friction from the wheels and track, air drag, and fluid friction in the lubricants are ignored, and assuming that we are not talking about a roller coaster top hat element who's velocity vector's direction changes, but instead a drop tower that is moving straight up and down (I could technically calculate all but the fluid friction with my current knowledge of coursework, but I don't know the kinetic friction coefficient between the wheels and rails, the air density or the frontal area of the train and people, which if I had to calculate the frontal surface area of the train, that would require me to solve disgustingly difficult calculus equations) the process for calculating how far the coaster would go up would be:

(mass of train)*(earth's gravitational acceleration)*(height traveled) = (0.5)*(mass of train)*((train's max velocity)^2)

(earth's gravitational acceleration)*(height traveled) = (0.5)*((train's max velocity)^2)

height traveled = [(0.5)*((train's max velocity)^2)] / (earth's gravitational acceleration)

train's max velocity = 150 mph = 67.056 m/s

Earth's gravitational acceleration = 9.81 m/s^2

height traveled = [(0.5) * (67.056^2)] / 9.81

height traveled = 229.1797725 meters = 751.9021418 feet

Rounding off to the nearest foot, height traveled = 752 feet.

I figured that my height would be a little taller than Newton's calculations because Newton would factor in all the variables that I couldn't account for, which since it is a little shorter than what I calculated, I know Newton is correct because the equation above was incredibly easy for me and I figured that I would probably lose somewhere between 5% and 10% of the energy when accounting for everything properly, which since I lost about 6.2% of the energy that I had from the train's initial velocity of 150 mph, which obviously falls within the 5% - 10% range.

TLDNR: When using an object's speed when going straight up to calculate the height, the height that an object can travel does not increase evenly with the speed at which it was thrown.

I for you, I got you. Simple physics. I just think when it comes down to all those other factors that are not accounted for in the kinematic and energy relationship, we'd be looking at something more like 600-650 feet tops. I guess we'll find out sooner or later when a coaster of TTD's design approaches 150mph.

• 1 month later...

I was thinking of a crazy idea, why not mix this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2-NPYZhwi66Y64Hc9N9c4JzcQ-vaI8JnM8tZ05ZTqOXlLeVTv

With this(?):

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKR-36WA6H2anebq8rCxj53aPAB-5jTIMz1Q5dZLr6lCLFwx6jnQ

My conclusion is, the first Intamin 4th Dimmensional Impulse coaster, as you head up the first spike, your seat would flip making you face the ground, and once you came back down your seat would flip a full 360 degree turn heading towards the second spike where this time your seat would flip BACKWARDS making you face up and flip your seat in the air while coming back down. It would do this for a few circuits until the ride ends like a regular impulse coaster.