TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

VIP tour programs at theme parks

VIP programs and tours at theme parks are getting real popular! Mark Shapiro of Six Flags said in the 2007 Q1 conference call that demand for VIP treatment at certain Six Flags parks are increasing to a point that the company intends to increase the premium in certain markets...

Here's a rather interesting article/review of the VIP tours offered at Six Flags (Over Georgia), Disney (Disneyland), Universal (Islands of Adventure), and Anheuser Busch (SeaWorld Orlando) and how they compare.

Article: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0517biz-VIPparks17-ON.html

So...have any of you payed for a VIP theme park tour before? If so, share your experience...what park was it, when did you visit, how much did you pay, and was the outcoming experience worth the admission?

And if you haven't had the opportunity to take a VIP tour of a theme park, it doesn't matter...what are your thoughts of it? Would you ever consider taking part in one?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We went to Cedar Point one saturday in June after Wicked Twister opened, and were prepared to pay for theie VIP pass, but it poured down rain for an hour, everyone left, and then cleared up with no crowds. If we hadn't gotten held up in traffic on the way there, we probably would've wasted our money. As a general rule, I think theme parks are expensive enough, and if you can go during the week, or early or late in the season, or even on a cloudy, scattered showers kind of day, you can get everything in with minimal waits.

-James Dillaman

I live 12000 miles from the US so I have to maximise what I do at parks, a gold q-bot is good enough for me, for the parks that have them.

I would consider a VIP thing for Cedar Point if it was my first time and I didn't know if I'm coming back. Given the limited time I have at King's Island this year I would consider it there because it is a park I am not likely to go back to.

I wish they just had an all day front of line pass without a guide or any of the extras, though you may need the guide to help you fight off the other disgruntled patrons, maybe a complimentary stun gun would suffice.

^ You can do KI in a day unless you go on Bring a Friend Free day or Math and Physics day or something like that. Most of the time it isn't too bad. Especially in the evenings the crowds tend to dwindle off. I worked there for a couple years, and you'd be surprised at how much the lines tapered off after the sun started setting. It was a shame, too, as Beast is really good at night, well... decent.

-James Dillaman

Someone has to do it: Everyone here needs to keep in mind these tours are not meant for the enthusiasts who know when to hit a park. So when the inevitable bitching about the prices occurs, at least you can understand why they are more expensive.

As for me? I recommend the USH VIP tour to anyone I know who won't be visiting again for a long time. For the price, I think you definitely get what you pay for. I was fortunate enough to be able to take the tour back in October and loved it! And this is coming from someone who spends lots of time at USH...

The morning started by hanging out in a nice lounge above guest relations that had a limited continental breakfast available with some bagels, croissants, water, and coffee.

We had a friendly guide who made sure we hit all the major attractions+plus added fun facts about the attraction (that part didn't matter to me at all, since I have seen all USH has to offer many times, but other guests seemed to like it).

The highlight was a 2 hour private tour of the backlot and studio. Even though I had already visited many of the outdoor sets, I still thought it was cool for the bonus stuff that not even I had done before. We got to go into the Crossing Jordan soundstages, a mixing theater, and the prop warehouse. That's on top of all the standing sets we got to visit that I had already been on (Brownstone street, New York Street, Courthouse Square, and the Psycho House).

Since they have now improved the tour (so screamscape says) with the all you can eat pass, valet parking, a park photo, and added more stuff to the actual tour...I very much intend to check it out again after summer.

• 1 year later...
As for me? I recommend the USH VIP tour to anyone I know who won't be visiting again for a long time. For the price, I think you definitely get what you pay for. I was fortunate enough to be able to take the tour back in October and loved it! And this is coming from someone who spends lots of time at USH...

This sounds like a great tour! Since I will be in town for WCB I decided to do this on the 21st. Has anyone done this in the last year, I would love to hear some feedback?! I also was thinking of doing the VIP tour of Warner Bro's, has anyone done that tour? I looked at both Paramount and WB and WB seems to be the better one. Any advice?

I just did the USH VIP tour this past Monday and it was definately a great experience even with the rainy day.

We were supposed to be on the 11a tour, but due to the rain we decided to check in early and they asked if we wanted to be on the 10a instead - it worked out better in that it gave us more free time after the tour was over (park closed at 7p). It was funny because we were the only Americans on the tour, but the group was pretty fun...almost like a little family of sorts.

Due to the rain we stayed on the tram for most of the backlot portion, but as soon as it died down we were out and walking. We went onto the set of Life, prop warehouse, the sets/wood making/metal working building as well as the usual Jaws, Earthquake, etc. We also went up the hill to the original Leave it to Beaver house and inside another full size house they use for filming. The tour guide was really good, and the driver was as well. Both had been with the company for quite sometime (over 20 years).

As for food, we had the limited continental with juice, water and soda to bring along. We had a buffet style lunch in the old Annual Pass Processing center with a selection of delicious things. They also had unlimited ponchos and used the cab portion of the regular tram (instead of the trolly) since it was wet out.

You get to use the Gate A (front of the line) entrances as well as the reserved seating at shows. For WaterWorld, they even have a talk back session after the show where you get to sit and talk to a few of the actors for a bit. They normally have one for Terminator as well, but the rain had that theatre being used for other shows as well so they cancelled that session. You also get 25% discount in the shops and I think the same in restaurants.

We didnt pay full price for the tour, but even if we had, I think it would be a great idea for someone who wants an indepth look at the studio. I went with my bf, he had never been to the park before so it was a great introduction for him.

I won a vip tour to universal studios, FL back in 2001. It was great. I have no idea what it would have cost - but it was free to me. I had only been to Universal once in its opening year, so the park was a lot different.

The day started off in a lounge to the right of the main gate, then a guided tour through the entire park. Front of the line on EVERY ride. Sound stage tours - it was great.

I felt like a VIP and I would recommend it to ANY one that could afford it

We also went up the hill to the original Leave it to Beaver house and inside another full size house they use for filming. The tour guide was really good, and the driver was as well. Both had been with the company for quite sometime (over 20 years).

Thanks for the feedback. I am really looking forward to the tour. I would love to see the Leave it to Beaver house, that would be something. Hopefully they will take us there.

We won a VIP tour of Disneyland/CA, and used it during Thanksgiving so an insanely busy day, the guide was pretty clear that she was not allowed to bypass the lines for us.

She did assist us in that regard a few times, but was more helpful in that she would walk to get us a fastpass while we stood in standby or would get the chance to stay on for a second ride.

What was really great was the reserved seating for Fantasmic and the Blue Bayeau.

We got both CA and Disneyland done properly in a very full day.

After tipping is taken into account, would probably recommend just staying a second day instead, but very memorable.

I don't know if this counts as a VIP tour...but I did the Keys to the Kingdom at WDW. That was a really cool tour.

It cost 60 bucks (on top of the regular admission to the park, we didn't mind since everything was pre-paid and we have done all the parks) and it started around 8/9ish and it was about a 4/6 hour tour (I cant remember off the top of my head).

What you get is a small group lead by a Disney Ambassador. He/she will take you around The Magic Kingdom starting and ending on Main St. Sharing tidbits/hidden mickeys/and other stories about how Walt started his business and also information about Disney World. You can ask any questions you might have (our tour guide was VERY knowledgeable) some might be reserved for "backstage" and if so...you would have to wait until then to ask those.

You get to walk onto select rides and get stories/information about these rides (Haunted Mansion, Small World, Pirates, and Space Mountain).

They give you a lunch at some restaurant in some colonial restaurant...I cant remember the name, it was pretty tasty.

The cream of the crop is that they take you backstage to where a parade starts (you get to see the empty floats) and then they take you to the Utilidor.

It was definitely worth the 60 bucks...and if you have an interest in behind the scenes stuff but have no interest in becoming a cast member...I would definitely recommend it.

• 1 year later...

When I went to Universal Orlando I didn't get the VIP tour but stayed at the Portofino a couple years in a row thanks to my parents. That was the best thing ever flashing your room key card all day at the Universal Express entrances skipping the lines all day long. Staying at the Portofino is like paying for a VIP tour-it's just as expensive but without a guide. Don't stay at the Portofino anymore because of how expensive it is now. The last time I went to Universal we stayed off site & I paid $100 since I went in April for the Universal Express. Pricy but well worth it.

• 3 years later...

Nothing like attempting to revive a dead thread, but here goes anyway...

My brother and I are going to be doing the VIP tour at Cedar point next Saturday. Does anyone on the boards have any current experiences with VIP tours at a Cedar Fair or Six Flags property? My biggest question is about gratuity for the guide. Is gratuity suggested? If so, how much should we give for gratuity? Any other comments or experiences would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Also don't know how relevant this is, but I did the WDW train tour. It was great, we were the first people into the park, we got to be part of the park opening celebrations and then got to see backstage at the engine shed. Would recommend it to anyone, even if they aren't fans of trains.

Nothing like attempting to revive a dead thread, but here goes anyway...

My brother and I are going to be doing the VIP tour at Cedar point next Saturday. Does anyone on the boards have any current experiences with VIP tours at a Cedar Fair or Six Flags property? My biggest question is about gratuity for the guide. Is gratuity suggested? If so, how much should we give for gratuity? Any other comments or experiences would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I took the same tour a few years ago. I asked our guide about what the "average" gratuity was and she simply said "it depends". Our guide also led Tony Stewart on a VIP tour a few weeks prior to our visit so I think her response was probably appropriate. You'll definitely want to tip something, and I would think that a reasonable tip would start somewhere between $50-$100.

A couple of things I'd strongly suggest doing:

(1) Don't try and power ride the full eight hours. There's plenty of time to get on what you want to get on. Take a few breaks to take in a show (I'd recommend the On Broadway show), cool off, snack, and stay hydrated.

(2) You get reservations to restaurants and shows. Utilize the hour break during your tour to eat at a sit-down restaurant. Utilize the host to reserve any shows you want to see so you can get the best seats.

(3) You get early entry privileges, but my advice would be to pass. It's a long day and you'll already be doing a lot of riding. You'll appreciate the extra sleep you gained by not getting to the park that early later on that day.

I won my VIP tour as part of a contest and it was - by far - the best day I've ever had there and I wish the same for you. Have fun!