TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

PTR: Adventureland, Robb, Elissa, and Kidtums in Iowa????

You can probably imagine my surprise when I received an email from Robb about a TPR meet up at Adventureland in Altoona, Iowa. There was no way the Alveys were actually going to be coming to my home park. But sure enough a little after 11a.m. Robb, Elissa, and the most adorable Kidtums arrived at the entrance to The Outlaw. After the introductions I found out that Robb and Elissa had already filmed the Underground and the Tornado. It was now time to film the Outlaw, and Robb needed a "Production Assistant!" I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story.

Ron "It was a fun day, and it was great to meet you all" Patton

EDIT - Fixed the order of the pictures.

1805197243_1Pigball.jpg.e06a9869c8a2c1fd2cc2b53bd9e1d1f2.jpg

Sorry Lou, the Alveys come to Iowa and Yetiball gets a new friend. Thats all from me, I hope you have enjoyed. Watch for the Alvey's video and pics from this amazing little park in the middle of Iowa.

2085925959_2ElissaandPigball.jpg.1438b4b3c6861e32045728db59800112.jpg

Allow me to introduce you to TPR's newest mascot, PIGBALL! Elissa is a softball in the basket pro. Hey Robb, how many tries did it take her to make it? I'll never tell!

188777561_3Sidewinder.jpg.4eea10fe62be2202a0f9316055e7a208.jpg

I finally decided to get over my dislike of spinning rides and ride The Sidewinder. Ya know, those frisbees are a lot of fun!

551203031_4RobbMirror.thumb.jpg.45286528338f35d57dd6d4c2f936f9a2.jpg

OOOOOH Scarrry bigheaded Robb! I think the mirrors in the exit are the best part of The Dragon.

902201778_5RobbandKristen.jpg.f11c500bdba526c35d6100f7eeff7d2b.jpg

For those of you who wondered if Elissa ever lets Robb take care of Kidtums, here is your proof.

411104193_6Dragonexit.jpg.80bbd2fabd45029473c95560041dfa66.jpg

Oh thankyou thankyou thankyou. I still can't believe we rode it 5 times in a row. After we were done Elissa went to ride. We warned her that there were 5 brace positions but she must have forgot about a couple of them by the look on her face.

343321635_7Dragonlostnut.jpg.815e46ce8df5c0b7a4934ef62289ba8f.jpg

Notice the nut just laying on the floor. I wonder where that came from? By the end of the year there is bound to be a broken wheel or two down here.

1203768471_8DragonMaintenance.jpg.7e13209d641c8d4a3fda14903f95fe2d.jpg

Here is the area underneath The Dragon. Notice the coffee cans full of nuts and bolts placed for quick repairs and minimal downtime. Six Flag's could learn something about efficiency from Adventureland.

826006096_9DragonHelixofdeath.jpg.4633caae9d81b6ceb62d3e9f6c23da3d.jpg

Brace positions 3, 4, and 5 in the Helixes of Death!

2090369572_6DragonMcDsarches.jpg.c20c6e4ac640dacd58f3d361f5da8115.jpg

Here we have the double loop. Notice how from the right angle they look like the McDonalds arches!

106898975_12Dragontopoflifthill.jpg.730e3ce7672228b72536d80c666f77db.jpg

The top of the lifthill, brace position number 2.

237050899_13DragonBunnyHills.jpg.cdb0238cc9ecb59914dec0a0f4220c93.jpg

Next we filmed The Dragon. Unfortunately we had to ride it too. The bunny hills on the way to the lifthill (through the trees). While turning from the bunny hills to the lifthill dont forget brace position number 1!

1902793461_14ElissaandwetpantsRobb.thumb.jpg.a27102915272b1d3eb641dbe7a3716e5.jpg

Signature Robb after a water ride shot! I still can't believe Sawmill Splash actually soaked us. I have alway seen it as a Dan approved water ride.

999363210_15RobbvideoingOutlaw.jpg.a2f89ebd92f9059ea4b5f0bd05bad38a.jpg

Here we have Robb filming The Outlaw from off the ride. I have a whole new appreciation for the work that goes into making the DVD's, and I haven't seen how much work goes into editing everything together.

429544710_16ElissaandKristen.jpg.8815cb8ab44a24edc35b6c25526f7826.jpg

Am I the first to take a picture of Elissa and Kidtums from a brakerun?

41085074_18OutlawLiftchain.thumb.jpg.255d0537648af3ba0b490a84fee49e98.jpg

For all of you "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but lifthill chains excite me" people.

1790129708_19outlawbunnyhills2.thumb.jpg.74e298de97a44a60cb1822f78b893f7c.jpg

Adventureland has a thing for bunny hills on the way to the lifthills. Notice Sawmill Splash in the background. More on that later!

1872668068_20outlawfrontofcar2.jpg.6a6904be16c1c4de7aba3bc98517959b.jpg

The Outlaw is my favorite of the 4 coasters at Adventureland. Who need a Maverick when you have an Outlaw.

1969439254_21robbducttape2.jpg.1a243ea9a3f477b75f917bc2e1da0fa4.jpg

You would not believe the amount of duct tape that is needed to mount the camera. It was great fun to help out. You pass Robb tape, get in, make sure he doesn't sit on the battery pack;), and go crazy while enjoying the ride.

1408542539_22Robbducttape.jpg.88eaa2f58d4a8befb8379ea4d2cbaba0.jpg

The first thing I had to learn was the most important use of duct tape ever. Mounting cameras to coasters.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we have Robb filming the Outlaw from off the ride. I have a whole new appreciation for the work that goes into making the DVD's, and I haven't seen how much work goes into editing everything together.

Psh! The REAL work starts after the editing is done!

Anyway, great PTR. I have to be honest...in my sheltered ignorance, I didn't even know what this park was or had! Glad to see a PTR. It actually looks like a nice little park!

Yetiball, Chip & Dale Balls, and Pigball are all going to have a freakin sweet orgy, I'm sure!

-Jahan

Anyway, great Photo TR. I have to be honest...in my sheltered ignorance, I didn't even know what this park was or had! Glad to see a Photo TR. It actually looks like a nice little park!

Yetiball, Chip & Dale Balls, and Pigball are all going to have a freakin sweet orgy, I'm sure!

-Jahan

Adventureland is a great park. Robb said it actually kinda reminded him of Knotts Berry Farm before Cedar Fair took over. They have an amazing collection of flats and The Tornado and The Outlaw are good coasters. I plan on doing a more thorough PTR later in the season so you can see more of the park.

Ron "As for the orgy, wow thats going to be a lot of flying fur " Patton

Well, here's the glorious picture of the man inspecting the Dragon. After each time the train would return to the station, he would walk down the entire train, looking at it very closely.

It's obviously a great coaster... you know it's a good sign when the ride hurts even before the lift!

Michal-Marie and I definitely had a lot of fun meeting up!

2009454929_DC401059(Small).JPG.c6dcb2593ee7d6f4051de9f58bb54c18.JPG

Oh, Dragon...

^Hmm--actually, enjoying the pain would make Robb masochistic, although forcing others to ride would make him a sadist.

Thanks for the TR--Adventureland looks like a nice place.

Great PTR! I went to Adventureland in 2003 and I thought it was a great park. I thought the Outlaw was a little rough, but fun. I remember the headbanging on the Dragon! I've never stayed at the Adventureland Hotel and I'm curious to see what it's like.

I'm kicking myself that I couldn't make it right now. I had a choice between May 4th and May 11th and (before I knew that TPR would be there on the 11th), I went on the fourth.

Sounds like it was great fun. Outlaw was the best woodie in the north central part of the midwest until Renegade, IMO.

Adventureland is fun and everything, but it gets boring REAL fast. The only really good rides are Sidwinder, Outlaw, and Space Shot (and Tornado up until the accident last year). Splash Over can be a lot of fun, but it squishes you in a bad place if you don't know the brace position.

It's nice to have a park this close, but it needs some major improvements. Our newest coaster was built 11 years ago, and that's Underground, which barely counts. And the next newest is 15 years old. It's ridiculous.

I'm almost embarrassed to say that I live less than two hours from Adventureland and I've been there exactly twice since it opened. I've always been a bigger parks person but I'm headed back there sometime this season.

Great report. I'm sorry I had to miss Robb and Ellisa there but I did get top meet up with them Sunday at Valleyfair.

I'm kicking myself that I couldn't make it right now. I had a choice between May 4th and May 11th and (before I knew that TPR would be there on the 11th), I went on the fourth.

Sounds like it was great fun. Outlaw was the best woodie in the north central part of the midwest until Renegade, IMO.

Adventureland is fun and everything, but it gets boring REAL fast. The only really good rides are Sidwinder, Outlaw, and Space Shot (and Tornado up until the accident last year). Splash Over can be a lot of fun, but it squishes you in a bad place if you don't know the brace position.

It's nice to have a park this close, but it needs some major improvements. Our newest coaster was built 11 years ago, and that's Underground, which barely counts. And the next newest is 15 years old. It's ridiculous.

I'm sorry, but I'm totally going to have to disagree with you.

I realize Adventureland doesn't have a crapload of big rides, but the smaller, well-run flats and the atmosphere totally make the park. The Falling Star, for example, is amazing! Underground is totally campy, cheesy, and hilarious. Dragon sucks, but it's fun because of its suckiness. Saw Mill Splash is crazy, if you lean to the left (you even get soaked on it, too!) The Log Ride is fun, and it's the only log ride I've seen that has rapids. The Sky Ride is totally relaxing and enjoyable--it has the best atmosphere of any ride that I have been on. I could continue blabbing about the rides, but you see my point. Even small rides that could be overlooked are great at Adventureland. Also, the park has character and a nice atmosphere, which is even more important in my book. The employees, mostly retirees, genuinely care about your experience--and they're totally efficient! Even the teens working beside them have a good attitude, just because of them! I mean, who doesn't love a park with $4 parking, crazy and fun old employees, blooming onions, tons of shade, BINGO, a pig-shaped food stand, and affordable food and souvenirs?

I realize that's a horribly long post, but I, for one, could never get sick of Adventureland. I've gone every year of my life, multiple times per year, since I was four years old. While I wouldn't go there every week, I never get bored or sick of Adventureland. It's a park with heart, energy, and an amazing atmosphere--this is what Adventureland truly is.

^You misunderstand. I don't mean there aren't good rides. The rides I listed were the ones I like best. Falling Star is a great ride, and River Rapids Log Ride is second only to PBLC, IMO. I always love riding the skyride and I never miss a chance to play Bingo. But I'm not big on the atmosphere. Even with the wonderful staff and the Disney-esque architecture, I can never shake the feeling that I'm at a tiny park.

BTW, I don't know what you're talking about with Underground and Dragon. Underground should never have been built. It's a waste of space. If anything, it's a tool for screaming contests. It's a neat ride when all the effects are working, but that's basically never. Dragon is the worst steel roller coaster in the midwest, IMO, and I'm not exaggerating. Any coaster that actually inhibits your breathing needs to be blown up at the very least.

But Tornado and Outlaw are great, so is Sawmill Splash. When I rode Sawmill with five other people, we got completely soaked (not cool), but we also went down the slide so fast that we were nearly in danger of being in danger of falling out once or twice (way cool). Tornado is always awesome in the back and front, but it's gotten very shaky over the past few months. Outlaw, on the other hand, is ten times better than it was a few years back.

But no matter the viewpoint, Adventureland will always have a pig food stall, the world's best mini-donuts, and a girraffe named Jack. And that's hard to beat.

So I'm sorry you misunderstood.

Great TR!

I was so surprised by this park! I had no idea what to expect and it was awesome! I wish we could have stayed longer, but that darn 3.5 hour drive and some crazy days were catching up.

We'll definitely be back!

Great TR!

I was so surprised by this park! I had no idea what to expect and it was awesome! I wish we could have stayed longer, but that darn 3.5 hour drive and some crazy days were catching up.

We'll definitely be back!

Thanks Elissa and everyone. This weekend was a reminder to me as well at how great Adventureland is. The Krantz family has done an unbelievable job of making a beautiful, well run park, with some of the best employees in any park in the world.

I plan on taking the kids within the next 2 weekends and doing a more thorough report on the amazing collection of flat rides in the park.

Ron "You will have to come back when Kristen can ride the Infant Ocean" Patton

• 3 weeks later...