TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NO GAS MAY 15th?

HAYASHI

Will you participate?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Will you participate?

• YES it will work. I wont buy gas that day
    • NO it wont work.
    • I DONT CARE. depends if i need gas or not that day.

I think then the issue is why Governments aren't providing good transport networks/pedestrian and cyclist facilities. Wouldn't it be more effective if everyone spent 15 minutes writing a letter to the local authorities asking why these areas are lacking rather than doing something lazy like putting off fuel purchases for a day.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but then they'd use the excuse of having to drive the car to Wal-Mart to either get pen and paper, to mail it, or to get a new printer cartridge. Fact is... they be too lazy.

And such requests go the city gov. I think... Not sure. Do they?

Gas prices rise because of demand. It's not like your boycotting will make thousands of gallons of gas magically appear.

Using that argument, the word you're looking for is "supply".

Since pretty much everyone here seems to be against the idea of "boycotting for a day", I guess I'll play devils advocate by saying that there is a little something called "symbolic speech". I think this falls into that concept of voicing one's opinion in a non-verbal way. No, it isn't a function, where not buying gas one day directly leads to lower gas prices the next. However, organized symbolic speech like this is a means of getting attention for your opinions or cause.

Because in my belief, nobody is really doing anything about this increase in gas prices. Why? Is it because we shed distaste for it but can still manage to go about our happy lives despite it? I dont know. But people are generally just bending over and just letting these prices screw them in the ass. I wonder what has to happen, how high do they have to get, before people decide to take action?

I'm not going to say WHAT action should be taken. I dont care if you advocate drilling in Alaska, allowing more oil refineries, or funding alternate fuels or whatnot--either way, that's great. But what these people are trying to do is draw some attention, via symbol, to the idea that we have the power to do SOMETHING. Sitting on our asses isn't helping anybody but the gas executives. I think doing something is better than just saying "Oh, that's stupid...it wont help at all."

ESPECIALLY for something as minor as not buying gas one day. If they were asking you to stop driving a car, then I would understand. Feel free to tell them to f-off. But to not buy gas for one day? Is that really such an inconvienence that you shoot it down immediately?

I understand what a lot of you are saying and it's not wrong. I'm just dissapointed that people feel so helpless these days that some activism is very much dissapearing in this country. We're taking what's handed to us. We have a system in place to where if you dont like something, you can change it! And if you dont feel as if it's government's place to change it, that's cool too! I never said anything about just government! Government is just ONE tool. But the more and more people you get on this bandwagon of "something needs to be done", the more your chances have improved of that happening. So if a group of people think that the word can better get out through not buying gas one day, then more power to them.

If you have an issue with the execution of such protest, that's fine. But I honestly dont find a flaw in the pricipal of the matter.

-Jahan

There are always alternate modes of transportation. You can take public transportation, drive a fuel-efficient car, ride a bike, carpool, walk, etc. Heck, ride a horse and buggy if you're in Lancaster county!

Gas prices rise because of demand. It's not like your boycotting will make thousands of gallons of gas magically appear.

Actually, he can use the word demand too. They work together to affect the price (among other things). Part of why prices go up this time of year is that its getting warm and people are getting out and doing more - thus creating more demand

But what these people are trying to do is draw some attention, via symbol, to the idea that we have the power to do SOMETHING. Sitting on our asses isn't helping anybody but the gas executives. I think doing something is better than just saying "Oh, that's stupid...it wont help at all."

I don't think either is any better than the other, except the fact that one of which shows intelligence.

Is that really such an inconvienence that you shoot it down immediately?

nope, but it is a very stupid idea, at least in my mind because as long as stockholders are happy and politicians aren't at risk to lose their jobs, these "symbolic speech(es)" aren't going to do anything.

If you have an issue with the execution of such protest, that's fine. But I honestly dont find a flaw in the pricipal of the matter.

Principal? No, I don't know who wouldn't like cheaper gas. But I'd rather see these people boycotting gas actually vote. Seems like getting worked up over gas prices or following the Anna Nicole Smith saga are more popular than people actually voting. Or at least supporting means of future alternatives, which, by the way, is where a lot of these billion dollar profits are going.

Actually, he can use the word demand too. They work together to affect the price (among other things). Part of why prices go up this time of year is that its getting warm and people are getting out and doing more - thus creating more demand

I was referring to "your boycotting will make thousands of gas magically appear". By THAT argument, he's referring to supply. But you're right in that in reality, both supply and demand effect it.

But what these people are trying to do is draw some attention, via symbol, to the idea that we have the power to do SOMETHING. Sitting on our asses isn't helping anybody but the gas executives. I think doing something is better than just saying "Oh, that's stupid...it wont help at all."

I don't think either is any better than the other, except the fact that one of which shows intelligence.

I disagree. And frankly, those who say "Oh, that's stupid...it wont help at all" really aren't trying to find an "intelligent" solution, by whichever of your standards constitutes an action as "intelligent". They're just sitting back and complaining with the rest of us.

Is that really such an inconvienence that you shoot it down immediately?

nope, but it is a very stupid idea, at least in my mind because as long as stockholders are happy and politicians aren't at risk to lose their jobs, these "symbolic speech(es)" aren't going to do anything.

It isn't wrong to think that way (although I personally find it to be rather cold and minus the human aspect of things. Love you Joe!). But my point still stands. This isn't about getting stockholders or polticians to change their hearts--its about getting the people themselves to believe they can change things. To believe they're apart of something larger. Because if people wanted change without believing that it could really happen, nothing is going to change. You're taking a really defeatest attitude in saying nothing can change without first "rallying the troops". History shows that it is possible.

Principal? No, I don't know who wouldn't like cheaper gas. But I'd rather see these people boycotting gas actually vote. Seems like getting worked up over gas prices or following the Anna Nicole Smith saga are more popular than people actually voting. Or at least supporting means of future alternatives, which, by the way, is where a lot of these billion dollar profits are going.

As far as the "I'd rather see these people boycotting gas actually vote" argument--weak. That's the same as when I said earlier "I'd like to see these people saying this is stupid, think of an intelligent alternative". Truthfully, your front is doing as much complaining as the "gas protesters" and frankly are more unproductive!

As for billion dollar profits reinvesting into future alternatives? Yes, I have come to understand that BP and others have very much made strides towards alternative energy. Small ones, but they're a start. So power to them. But you cant make that generalization about all gas companys, as many are still simply choosing to ride this wave and pocket the profits.

-Jahan

I think you are totally missing something about me - I don't care about the gas prices right now. Hasn't effected me in any way differently than when I started to drive five years ago.

You should know by now I am cold. Or I prefer the term callous. But that just goes back to our different philosophies. A liberal is much more likely to be "emotional"

As for me making an argument... well, I'm not really trying to. I just think this sort of boycott is silly. A lot of bandwidth has been wasted on this idea, which in turn is money. Same with airtime on news broadcasts. I have an interest in new sources of energy, but its not a paramount concern of mine. Minimal at best, really. Heck I am looking at a new car which burns gas twice as fast and requires premium grade - but since I think the current prices are "fair" I don't care. Sure, I'd like to pay less, but I think everyone would like more money in their pockets like that.

If you want to avoid driving so you don't have to buy expensive gas, then more power to you. However if you try to avoid driving (or rush out to buy a Hybrid) in order to save the planet, then you're wasting your time (doubly so if you buy a Hybrid).

The fact is that cars are one of the smallest contributors to green-house gases. The largest is electricity production (coal) - so if you actually want to make a difference (rather than get wrapped up in useless trendy nonsense), then turn the damn lights off, don't leave your PCs running all the time (especially monitor), shut the TV off, unplug all cel-phone/device chargers when the device isn't charging (the transformers use electricity all the time, even when nothing is plugged in the other side). The list is almost endless..

Cameron.

Instead of not buying gas on one day, which will do nothing, why don't you buy gas from a independant station that only follows the trend. In my town, Speedway is the trend setter. Do this everyday instead of just one day. I will never buy from speedway again unless I really need it and they are the only station. Most of the time I buy from my work.

I'm not participating because:

I don't drive

I bike to class/work/grocery store/etc. (biking is actually quicker than taking the bus in many situations, and in Gainesville, sometimes quicker than driving, and it helps you stay in shape).

I switch off my PC when I'm not using it

If I need to go somewhere, I get a ride

^I rode my bike all around Gainesville when I was in college. It was better than having a car. I wouldn't even try to drive and park at UF. Parking was at a premium and was pretty horrendous to find a place to park. Besides, Gainesville has a really good bike system with bike paths and lanes virtually everywhere.

^And that was my theory before I actually read the Snopes article. Now, if we did say, a 5 day gas boycott, how successful or unsuccessful would that be provided that us careless Americans actually cared and used alternatives to transportation? I personally don't feel like spending $3.39/gallon for gas now...tired of high prices.