TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR Valleyfair Meet THIS SUNDAY!!!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Robb, I already told Elissa, but I'll be there on Sunday and already have your cell phone numbers.

I'll also be out there on Saturday!

Hey, Wild thing has some pretty good air time on that 2nd hill, and on some of the smaller ones too.. But yea, it can feel a bit tame after a few rides.

Maybe next year VF will get an invert.

What are you talking about? As far as I know, most hypers aren't trimmed.
All of the Morgan and Arrow hypers are trimmed to some extent. I forgot that Phantoms Revenge has a trim this year right before the double down.

I am planning on being there both Sat and Sun and meeting up sounds like fun. I will send you an email with my number just in case you need it. If the rumor is true that some GCI folks are saying this is better than Thunderhead, I am sure I won't get bored all weekend. See you there!

Dave

Just got back from shooting video at Renegade. Wow, all of you going this weekend are in for a real treat! I personally rank it above Thunderhead.

Hope to see some of you on Sunday!

--Robb

Well, I'll hopefully be one of the first in line on Saturday, so hopefully that treat is all you're saying it is! VF is kind of cool in that you can get in and ride all the big rides and be out in an hour or two, depending on how many times you want to ride something. I'm hoping they have multiple trains running on Wild Thing and Renegade. They never seem to on High Roller anymore, so it takes forever in line on that one. (High Roller can actually still be fun!)

Just got back from shooting video at Renegade. Wow, all of you going this weekend are in for a real treat! I personally rank it above Thunderhead.

Hope to see some of you on Sunday!

--Robb

How does it compare to Ozark Wildcat?

^ He did contact us. Thank! Keep an eye out if we're quoted in the paper.

BTW, don't forget that Sunday is the TPR meet! We will be at the front entrance at 9:30am. If you can't make the 9:30am time, but can come later, please email me directly and let me know.

--Robb

He asked me on the phone if I knew anyone who rode it and the only report I had read of someone who had was your post so I took him to it over the phone and he got your email from the first post. I am glad he got ahold of you for his story since he could not wait for others to ride before the park opened. See you Sunday.

Dave

The Renegade story in the star tribune is up!!!

Valleyfair banks on old-school fun with twisted new wooden roller coaster

By Chao Xiong, Star Tribune

Last update: May 11, 2007 – 9:49 PM

Traveling up to 52 miles per hour, riders will be ducking their heads when they climb up and soar down, around and under the tracks of Renegade, the new wooden roller coaster that the public gets its first crack at today as Valleyfair opens for the season.

Among the highlights of the newest ride at the amusement park, which draws about 1 million visitors to Shakopee each year:

• The first drop comes with a twist.

• Built at a cost of $7 million, it's the second wooden roller coaster in the Shakopee amusement park. High Roller, the first, was there when Valleyfair opened in 1976.

• The coaster has 19 turns in 3,113 feet of track.

Sneak peek

The train lurches up 104 feet and pauses, the Shakopee water tower to the left and suburban homes standing to the right.

It drops 91 feet, twisting unexpectedly from side to side.

The Renegade leans riders deceptively close to the railings, turning as large wooden beams rush by overhead, close enough to kiss. The web of wood buttressing the coaster camouflages each of its turns.

Robb Alvey, founder of ThemeParkReview.com, said he rode Renegade about 20 times Thursday night and reports: "You're flying through the structure. You're always ducking your head because it looks like there isn't enough room."

Alvey, a Los Angeles resident who said he has ridden about 950 different coasters since he was 7, said about a hundred users of his website will visit Valleyfair on Sunday to ride Renegade, some from Chicago and Des Moines, Iowa.

The coaster's highlights include an S-shaped first drop, unexpected speed and twists and turns, he said.

Wood vs. steel

Great Coasters International Inc., of Sunbury, Pa., built Renegade for Valleyfair.

Designer Jeff Pike on the benefits of wood over steel: "You feel like you are part of the machine ... when you are riding a wooden roller coaster," he said. "It's a much more raw, invigorating and interactive experience."

Safety checks

As of Friday, Renegade had been through about 500 test runs since early May, Pike said.

More fun than ...

Alvey ranked Renegade above the park's well-known Wild Thing steel coaster, which travels 22 miles per hour faster than Renegade.

Staff writer Tim Harlow contributed to this report.

Chao Xiong • 612-673-4391 • cxiong@startribune.com

© 2007 Star Tribune. All rights reserved.

www.startribune.com/462/story/1177478.html

Alvey ranked Renegade above the park's well-known Wild Thing steel coaster, which travels 22 miles per hour faster than Renegade.

Wow, there's a feat.

That's awesome, though. I'm really excited to ride this thing.

Wow, there's a feat.

That's awesome, though. I'm really excited to ride this thing.

Wild Thing is 200 feet of dull. At least Renegade was beyond interesting!

--Robb