TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

AstroWorld's Greezed Lightnin???? What is going on with it?

^^ The thread about the original Greezed Lightning that used to operate at SFAW and its condition at Joyland in Lubbock Texas.

I was asking about the former Tidal Wave/Greased Lightning that used to operate at CGA and was moved to SFDK a few years back because the poster above me was wondering if they could move the Texas GL to CGA and rename it Tidal Wave after the original.

I was wondering if the CGA Tidal Wave was still in storage or if SF moved it to Kentucky to be used as parts for their Tidal Wave/Greezed Lightning (which was the Gurnee model) because it would be more difficult to move one Schwarzkopf shuttle loop from Texas to California.

Especially if the park's original Schwarzkopf shuttle loop is sitting in storage not too far away.

So to summarize, is the original Tidal Wave/Greased Lightning still in California or was it moved to Kentucky to be used as parts for its sister?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK thank you!

Does anybody else find it funny that both Marriott Tidal Waves were both named a variation of Greezed Lightning and both have been moved to three different parks? And now one Tidal Wave is being used as parts for another Tidal Wave?

And if Shane happens to buy this GL from Joyland there would be three Tidal Wave/Greezed Lighning's that have been moved to three different parks.

Strange

So to summarize, is the original Tidal Wave/Greased Lightning still in California or was it moved to Kentucky to be used as parts for its sister?

I remember seeing CGA's Tidal Wave's loop laying in SFKK's boneyard in 2005 or 6.

I remember seeing CGA's Tidal Wave's loop laying in SFKK's boneyard in 2005 or 6.

You did the loop was replaced during that time. The track was from CGA's Tidal Wave.

Personally I don't think we'll ever see the ride up and running again. Joyland has been dragging their feet on a ride that should have been up and running for a while now.

They aren't "dragging their feet" on getting the ride up. The soil issues are what stalled the project. They spent a lot of money on trying to find a location for the ride but everywhere they tried they hit water within a few feet. Having water so close to the surface caused the estimated cost of putting the ride up to skyrocket...way beyond what the park can afford to do. They had gotten estimates of how much it would cost to put the ride up before doing the ground samples and had the funding to do so...but when they discovered water so close to the surface the project came to a halt. The cars have already been refurbished and ready to go.

The owners really do want to get the ride up and aren't giving up. As of last summer they were still checking on a couple options to get the ride up with a different type of support system on the ground that wouldn't require footers to be as deep. They are a very small park and don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars to just spend on a ride. The ride itself is fine. Lubbock has low humidity...much lower than the ride experienced in Houston so even sitting outside it still looks pretty good. All the important parts (flywheel system, cars, etc) are in enclosed storage.

The owners said it would probably be a few years before they could try again to get the ride up since they couldn't keep going without a ride and ended up purchasing a Larson drop tower last year. They also said that had they know this would have been such an issue, they would have purchased Viper instead. But right now there is no reason to think this ride will never run again.

• 6 months later...

OMG, a Schwarzkopf shuttle loop for sale for "only" $ 399.000 !!! I want to buy it, looking for co-owners. This coaster's value is even higher now the one at my home park is practically condemned and will probably be dismantled next year ( the infamous Sirocco, later renamed and enclosed Turbine... yes, that's it... the hangtime record holder Anton) I'm in love with those (flywheel version) as Sirocco was one of the first coasters I ever rode. My idea is this is the perfect ride to put into a mall of some kind. Would even make me like shopping...

I'm still so disappointed it was closed (along with Viper, Batman, and Ultra Twister) when I visited Astroworld in '04. They were all rides I was looking forward to on my Texas trip.

Anyways, I do hope the ride pops up somewhere else here in the States. I'd like to ride it. Same goes with the other rides that were never rebuilt.