TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

AstroWorld's Greezed Lightnin???? What is going on with it?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd give it the slight edge only cause the other Flywheel in the states is at Knotts and stupid Montezooma suffers from poor ops and seat belts.

The rides themselves are identical.

The thing that set GL apart from others (including Monte) is that Astroworld never braked the train on the way backward through the station. I seem to remember Monte getting braked, maybe not as much as a weight drop shuttle, but it certainly didn't go as far up the back spike as GL did.

That back spike was the highlight of the whole ride!

Belgium's Turbine also went full-speed up the back spike as I recall.

Now you got me curious. When I was at Knott's a few weeks back I could of sworn we didn't hit any brakes on the way back through the station on Monte. Any locals that can answer that one please?

Now you got me curious. When I was at Knott's a few weeks back I could of sworn we didn't hit any brakes on the way back through the station on Monte. Any locals that can answer that one please?

I have been riding Montezooma's Revenge since it opened in 1978 and it has never been braked going back thru the station. I was also a Lead ride operator on Greezed Lightnin back in my teens. The two rides are identical, really the only difference is; one is in California and the other sits it pieces in Texas.

I worry about the fate of it since no work seems to be going on

I miss the yellow Monte but the ride still ROCKS!

Interesting side note: Did you know that the original name for Montezooma's Revenge was "LOCOmotion" get it?

What's strange is that it appears on the park map, so there is hope that they are going to build the thing. However I've been by the park a couple of times, and they've not doing even the slightest amount of work yet. The ride won't take that long to throw up, however I've got no idea what winter is like in Lubbock (moved here in July). I drive by the park every now and then, so I'll keep an eye open, and I promise a photo trip report when the ride reopens.

Last I heard was they had problems with all the rain we had last year making the soil too unstable in the area they planned to build it. Since then I have heard they are going to try to get it open for Summer 2008, however as of late that is looking a bit more less likely. I'm sure it will be put up at some point, just taking a bit longer than expected.

Check sixflagshouston.com threads where I got this information from if interested.

-GG

Since I've been here in late July, we've had a couple big thunderstorms, and are slated for a major snow storm tomorrow, but weather has actually not been that terrible. With that said however as I understand it, before I got here it had been one of the wettest years on record.

I've have not been to Joyland yet, I'm basically waiting for this new ride before I blow my $15 on what looks like a lame park. Once they've got this ride up and running, I'll go credit whoring a bit, and get a few new ones under my belt.

I've have not been to Joyland yet, I'm basically waiting for this new ride before I blow my $15 on what looks like a lame park.

No, Joyland isn't a huge park and they don't have some record breaking coaster. But it is honestly a nice little park and the rides there have a lot of history behind them. The owners of the park are great and work in the park every day it is open. I've been there several times and live nowhere near there. Little family run parks like this and Wonderland up the road in Amarillo are slowly disappearing. ACE in the region holds an event up that way every two years. I highly recommend checking it out in 2008.

Interestingly, Montezooma's Revenge is the only Schwarzkopf shuttle in the U.S. that is still in its original location. Of all, I've only ridden that and Tidal Wave up in Santa Clara at Marriott's Paramount's California's Great America, which, by the way, was a weight drop model as opposed to Montezooma's Revenge, which is a flywheel model.

Eric

I would like to get to Wonderland at some point as well. I drove by there several months ago, and was perplexed by the supports for the loop one their Texas Tornado ride. One of the more interesting designed loops I've ever seen.

http://www.rcdb.com/ig254.htm?picture=5

^For those of you who are curious.

Wow that is weird. Has it been reprofiled or anything like that? Just seems more complex than it needs to be, or at least more complex than other coasters.

The picture below shows the other loop of a more standard looking construction, although the loop itself is still a bit of a weird shape.

www.rcdb.com/ig254.htm?picture=2

The Texas Tornado at Wonderland was O.D. Hopkins' first coaster, and, yes, they made some "adjustments" after it was built. I've heard that it was all but designed on a napkin during a meeting with park officials as they were deciding what to build.

In May 2005, my mom and I traveled to Amarillo to help a distant relative put together a family geneology. While there, we went to Wonderland and I rode the Cyclone (wild mouse identical to the Tree Top Racers at Adventure City), and their Galaxi style ride. Unfortunately, the Texas Tornado was closed so I couldn't ride it.

Eric

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd bring you all an update on the status of Greezed Lightnin' since I'm the closest person on here to the park. Well drove by there a few weeks ago and noticed that there was a whole lot of nothing going on with it. In fact when I looked into the matter a little deeper I discovered the ride has officially been pushed back to 2009. The land they were going to build on didn't work out, so now the park is looking for another location for it. In other news, Joyland is building what I believe to be an S&S tower next year. Don't have anymore detail then that, just telling you what I saw. Someday I might even do a small (the park isn't exactly big) picture update if they ever get things finished.