TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Oldest carousel in the world

The oldest Carousel in the world is actually getting revamped and will be installed again at La Ronde for the 2007 season. There's some great info on the park's website here along with pics of before/after the revamp.

I think it's pretty good news !

Here's what the main page says :

This heritage carousel was built in 1885 by Belgian craftsmen, making it the oldest “galloping” carousel in the world. It was named Le Galopant because of the galloping motion of the horses and gondolas, which are controlled by an ingenious mechanism.

In winter 2006–2007, the numerous decorations and horses were rejuvenated by a host of workers dedicated to restoring Le Galopant to its former splendor and glory.

Enter the world of Le Galopant to learn more about this marvelous carousel and how it was restored.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There's so much news about La Ronde this year, I'm glad that I'm going. Well thanks for the information about the carousel! I'm definetly riding this when I go. I'm so glad people are preserving the world's history, we should remember what has happened before us and respect what is leftover from our ancestors. Le Galopant is looking great now and while its a small carousel, if definetly is a great one.

Does anyone know if it will be open on the 27th? I'm going with a friend, and maybe a few TPR members, so I'll be glad to have information ASAP on the Carousel.

-Stephen "I never knew that La Ronde's carousel was the oldest"M