TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Dubai

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the bigger images! Now that I can see it a little better, it does sorta look like the same layout as Hulk (with the cobra over the water), but that model is a disaster when it comes to coaster accuracy! (Not that I'm complaining--more coasters in the world is a good thing!)

Awesome, but I wonder if this will change the proposed park for Singapore. The accelerator coaster looks great, and the inverted coaster looks like it will actually be intense unlike most new B&M inverts. Dubailand keeps getting better, and new projects are always being announced. It is really amazing at what is being built over there.

Although I think the scale of this project is impressive, I'm not sure it's the best use of money. The vast majority of the people in the Middle East are too poor to patronize Dubailand. And how many Americans or Europeans are really going to want to vacation in the sweltering desert with extreme restrictions on alcohol consumption, especially with Arab-Western relations being at nearly an all time low? And if they do get a significant number of western tourists, the UAE will probably have to budget money to pay off Al-Qaeda. Ugh. No thanks.

Although I think the scale of this project is impressive, I'm not sure it's the best use of money. The vast majority of the people in the Middle East are too poor to patronize Dubailand. And how many Americans or Europeans are really going to want to vacation in the sweltering desert with extreme restrictions on alcohol consumption, especially with Arab-Western relations being at nearly an all time low? And if they do get a significant number of western tourists, the UAE will probably have to budget money to pay off Al-Qaeda. Ugh. No thanks.

Ummmm....wow, way to display your incredible ignorance in all things related to the Middle East.

First off, this project is just a drop in the bucket of a massive development boom throughout the UAE, especially in Dubai, which is now home to the world's tallest building (the Burj Dubai, which holds the title even though it is still under construction). Dubai also has the world's largest man-made port and the fastest growing international airline in the world: Emirates.

The park will certainly not have a lack of customers from the Middle East, as the UAE ranks 21st in the world in nominal per capita GDP, just behind Japan and Germany and just in front of Italy. Additionally, the nearby country of Qatar ranks above the United States in nominal per capita GDP (3rd in the world), leaving no shortage of local tourism. Thanks to Emirates, Dubai is now becoming a key stopover on the Kangaroo Route from the UK to Australia, as well as a central hub for travelers from across the globe, creating even more tourism.

As for sweltering desert heat, Dubai's climate from November to early April is similar to that of Arizona or Nevada (Las Vegas), with highs in the 90s and lows around 60. The summer heat will be a problem, but the park will most likely combat that problem by having a large number of indoor rides and covered walkways (think USF with a ton of cover). Also, there are virtually no restrictions on alcohol in Dubai. Some of the other emirates (Sharjah) are more strict, but Dubai is like any other modern city.

Arab-Western relations are not at an all time low. Not really sure where you came up with that, unless you were referring to Iran and Iraq, which haven't been peaceful towards the West in over 25 years.

I'm not even going to touch your last statement, as it is completely incorrect.

As for me, I can't wait to visit Universal Dubailand, as well as Dubai and the rest of the UAE. It should be a really great trip/experience.