TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What made you interested in roller coasters?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got interested when I saw all the people on the Steel Phantom. I wasn't tall enough, but still wanted to get on the biggest ride in the park. I was 9 when I got on that ride for the first time, but had ridden everything else in the park by 7 years old.

One year later I did, and IT RULED! Too bad it's scrapped. I loved that old ride.

Katie

I've always been interested but I would never ride big rides (I used to be terrified when I looked at Ghostrider). When I was 11 and rode Loch Ness Monster and Alpengeist at Busch Garden's Williamsberg, I've loved riding them. I try to get up to Knott's Berry Farm and Disneyland at least 5 times per year.

^^Yeah...saying "hey baby, I'm a coaster enthusiast" is about one step above saying "hey baby, I'm a trekkie!"!

Elissa "although somehow it works!" Alvey

It dosen't work. Really? Hmm, well I guess that would explain a lot.

I probably should stop wearing my "I Love Soccer Moms" T-shirt to.

• 7 years later...

I was seven years old when I rode my first roller coaster with my dad. It was located in Blackpool Pleasure Beach, England.

I like to state for the record ( my dad would back me up, if he was still living) that doing my first ride on that roller coaster I never screamed, cried, or threw up. I just sat in my seat and hung on as I felt my stomach reach my throat everytime the train when down a hill. Near the end of the ride when the train passed through a tunnel that featured tons of flashing, colored lights, that moment felt magical to me.

I enjoyed my first ride on that roller coaster and I've been riding ever since.

When I was in about grade 2, I rode my first coaster (Ghoster Coaster, Canada's Wonderland). Before then, I was always interested in the big rides, and how they worked, but was too scared to ride them. By grade 3, I started becoming an enthusiast. Actually, somewhat by accident. I was trying to google Six Flags Canada's Wonderland (I'm pretty sure I wanted to see how much the candy cost lol... as my dad told me we were going), and back then I didn't know S*** about the industry lol, thinking Wonderland was a Six Flags. I was impatient back then, and simply clicked on the first option that came up in the suggestion list, which happened to be "Six Flags California"... AKA Magic Mountain. After taht, learning that there was other parks in the world... I was hooked

I though it would be good way to pick up chicks.

I agree with Ted also 8)

I have to agree as well, as it has worked for me.

But what got me into coasters was basically my dad forcing me onto The Giant Dipper at SCBB, after the train hit the brake run, I wanted to go again.

hmm, let's see. it was 1986, and Shockwave was the brand new thing at Kings Dominion! my brother and i bought white painters caps emblazoned with the teal and yellow shockwave logo. the caps had those awesome 80s flaps that went down the back, almost like the hat itself had a mullet. the whole concept of riding a roller coaster WHILE STANDING UP was just completely mind blowing. kaboom.

then, a year or two later, construction began on a monstrous structure built literally ON TOP OF lake charles. a giant steel contraption that looked to dwarf even the Grizzly, the tallest coaster in the park. it wouldn't open until the following year, but my brother and i went to the park as often as we could to check on its progress. one day, while riding Rebel Yell just to get a better look at it, my brother exclaimed, "oh my gosh, look .... it goes UNDER the lake!" i couldn't believe it, but he was right. at the bottom of the first drop, there was a cement tunnel. mind blown again. kaboom!

ah, youth.

My two little girls got me into roller coasters. For as long as I can remember I desperately wanted to like roller coasters but I had a serious fear of them. Just being in a park that had coasters gave me anxiety. Before we had kids my only coaster experience as an adult was when my wife pressured me into riding the Steel Eel at Sea World San Antonio. Needless to say it didn't go well. We bought the on-ride photo because it was too hilarious to pass up. I looked like I was being tortured while her expression was pure joy. (I'm sure mostly from laughing at my pain more than the fun of the coaster) Fast forward to a few years ago. My oldest daughter who was in Kindergarten at the time received a free ticket to Six Flags over Texas. I did what any good dad would do and took the family to SFOT. My wife took her to ride everything she was tall enough to ride at the time (Shock Wave, Pandemonium, etc.) and I took our youngest to ride teacups, kiddy rides and the carousel. I knew I was in trouble when I finally built up the courage to take the little one on the Runaway Mine Train. While standing in line I decided to play a trick on her. Thinking she would share my fear of coasters I pointed to Mr. Freeze and told her that we were waiting to ride that. Well that backfired on me. Instead of being apprehensive she was overcome with excitement and then I had to explain that I was teasing her. She wasn't happy about that. She really wanted to ride Mr. Freeze. Even though I only rode the Mine Train that day it made me realize that I didn't want to miss out on all the fun of riding coasters and rides with my family. The next summer I bought season passes and began watching tons of POV videos (thanks TPR) and mentally preparing myself to conquer my fear. The first ride I conquered was Pandemonium, then the Shock Wave with my oldest daughter. Now we go all the time and I've ridden every coaster and ride in the park many times over and plan on taking coaster trips to ride as much as I can. My wife still can't believe that I am now the one pressuring her into riding coasters.

PICTURE IT...

Tampa. June. 1993.

Kumba had been open for 2 months by now, and made the front page of the Ocala newspaper.

Since I first seen in on the front page, and on TV commecials, all I talked about was Kumba. I had to ride it!

My parents finally gave in and took me to BGT so I could ride.

Upon reaching the line the was across the bridge stretching nearly to the bumper cars, a train zoomed over the walkway. I vowed right there, that I would never get on it!

Scorpion, no problem. Python, no problem. Kumba, no way!

I finally got up the courage to ride. As luck would have it, Kumba broke down as we joined the line. We ended up working our way to the front of the park, and left.

Fast forward to 2 months later..

My parents took me BACK to BGT so I could ride.

The following statement from my mother encouraged me to actually ride:

"You're going to ride it, or you're grounded."

So, I rode it!

That was the beginning of my crazy obsession!

The following statement from my mother encouraged me to actually ride:

"You're going to ride it, or you're grounded."

That has to be one of the best quotes I have ever heard. Does she regret ever saying that now?