TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

JZ's Ongoing Kings Island Update Thread!

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOT a Dive Machine. It's A Hyper. There will be a lake, though. You have to remember they took out Swan Lake. Also looking at Maverick, which is similarily themed in terms of the section of the park (Frontierland - Rivertown) Water is used but only for the ride to go over.

-James Dillaman

Well, now we know it's a Hyper. Thanks, James! I was hoping for a western theme, so sounds like I got my wish for the ride.

So looking at pics on KI Central, here are my guesses so far. Not sure how correct I am, but seems like the lift hill will go up the right side with the station being on the left. Looks like the splashdown/pond will exit right into the station. Out of the station you will turn left behind the theatre and head to the lift hill. Anyone with more info might be able to provide more details.

NEwCoaster.JPG.8887cd8056e4af8dfdc7ca6b9caf2e63.JPG

Good estimate, but I'm thinking the queue will start from the lift side, near that patio. Then it will probbably ramp from underneath and into the station. I think the area you guessed would be used for an exit plaza/gift shop/etc...

I think the station will be in Rivertown, not the back part of International Street. First of all, it would fit the theming alot better if it was in Rivertown, and that part of International Street is supposed to be quit and peacefull. Although it wont be that quiet because of the hyper and Backlot, i dont think they would make the entrance there cause than it would over crowd and ruin the atmosphere even worst.

Although, the gist is right on the proposed layouts, the details are off. I wouldn't be looking for a lot of bunny hills, and the ride will most likely use more of the terrain behind The Crypt back in the woods. Also I will also be surprised if there is a splashdown. What I have seen didn't confirm it, but it also didn't rule it out. They weren't very detailed drawings in terms of anything besides the track itself. If Johnnyupsidedown says he heard there will be a splashdown effect, I trust his sources, so look for that.

-James Dillaman

Thanks, /\, however my source have been know to be wrong.

Logic tells me that they wouldnt go through all the trouble to put in a trough if it wernt going to have the splash. They would have just put some footers in the lake and ran the coaster over it.

If you look at the photo linked below you will see how they are building the trough.

I also agree that this is going to be a more of a terain big hill coaster and less of the small bunny hops. I think the lake splash will take care of the ending bunny hops that have been seen on Bohemouth and Goliath at SFOG...

http://www.kiextreme.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=292&pos=2

I would have to say that the splash will be similar to Sheikras splash, but with the pond being as large and as wide as the one on KIs coaster is I am thinking that the splash may be more of an out ward splash. Sheikras and Griffons splashes are more striaght up. I think this will be more of a side way splash or a large fan effect that is if they are going to have an area where the kids can ge splashed...

Also this splash seems to be a bit longer in lenght then Sheikras so I would figure the hill comeing into the splash will be pretty large. Keep in mind that the splash is actually called a water brake. It reduces the trains speed by 15 to 20 percent, while not noticeable it is still designed as a water brake and is patented as such.

2 coasters this year that I cant wait for the official announcements. This the KI hyper and Sea Worlds Flyer coasters.

Keep in mind that the splash is actually called a water brake. It reduces the trains speed by 15 to 20 percent, while not noticeable it is still designed as a water brake and is patented as such.

Johnny, I'm glad you mentioned that. So many people miss out on that point. It's functional.....not just aesthetic. It took 'em somewhere in the neighborhood of five years to develop and patent it, so I can completely understand why they'd like to incorporate it into more of their coaster types.

Keep in mind that the splash is actually called a water brake. It reduces the trains speed by 15 to 20 percent, while not noticeable it is still designed as a water brake and is patented as such.

Johnny, I'm glad you mentioned that. So many people miss out on that point. It's functional.....not just aesthetic. It took 'em somewhere in the neighborhood of five years to develop and patent it, so I can completely understand why they'd like to incorporate it into more of their coaster types.

Psh, I figured that out on RCT 10 years ago

I'd like to see it. Italian Job's hardly works.

^ Gold star for JZ then.

The underlying point though is that it's always gonna be near the end of the run, so I can never figure out why there's any opposition or criticism of the element itself. All I'm saying is that I've heard people from time to time comment that "I hope they don't put in a splashdown portion, etc., etc." That part never makes any sense to me. It's a crowd pleaser that doesn't really take anything away from the ride itself.

^I see your point, Scott, but I'm going to chime in because I am one of those who would rather not see a splashdown.

First, I completely agree with everything you said. I understand and recognize that it makes perfect sense. Even though it makes sense, I still don't care for them. While they are at the end of the rides, I'm not going to consider the ride over until I hit that final brake run. That's just how my mind operates. I had the same problem with Boardwalk Bullet. The ride completely dies out before the brake run and, for that reason, it lost a few points with me. Some of my buddies mentioned that they don't care because it's towards the end, so they just consider it an eventful brake run. I can't see it that way, though. I have expectations for a ride to not let up until the very end.

With that in mind, when I'm on a coaster with a splashdown, its simply a large piece of straight track in an obviously fake trench that gets close to water. As a bystander, it looks awesome! I will give it that. However, as a rider, it adds practically nothing to the ending of the ride. For those reasons, I'd much rather have forfeit the visual effect in favor of an extra bunny hill or something that actually contributes more to the ride experience.

I must say though, if a ride dropped directly down into a splashdown off a bunny hill or something, and then popped right out of the splashdown and onto the brake run, I'd probably not mind at all. My basis for my disapproval comes from Sheikra, where even though there is just one large turn after the splashdown, that turn equates to practically a fourth of the ride given it's short length. For a ride standpoint, I would much rather the ride keep its momentum up, rather than burning it on a visual effect that is only noticeable to bystanders.

Maybe I just sound like an enthusiast snob... I don't know!

^ Yeah, I understand your view as well. For me anyway, I think the thing that helps the straight track portion on the dive machines is that I enjoy the front/outside seats. That gives a unique visual as you glide over the water. You'll obviously miss out on that with this hyper, but I figure there's usually gonna be at least a some section of straightaway for the brakes anyway, so why not incorporate something that makes it stand out a bit for the GP.

With that said, I do agree that it would be better off dropping into, and then quickly popping out of the splash into a bunnyhop, if possible. That makes sense to me.

^^I'm with you on hoping this doesn't have a splash down, Scott. In my mind, KI needs an EGF-level thrill machine. Their coaster collection is so awful now that they really need a top 10 ride to even things out a bit. And, yeah a splash down is really just fluff that doesn't give the riders anything. I mean this is Kings Island for Vishnu's sake. The water jets won't even work by 2010. Just give us a great ride. No gimmicks.

^I see your point, Scott, but I'm going to chime in because I am one of those who would rather not see a splashdown.

First, I completely agree with everything you said. I understand and recognize that it makes perfect sense. Even though it makes sense, I still don't care for them. While they are at the end of the rides, I'm not going to consider the ride over until I hit that final brake run. That's just how my mind operates. I had the same problem with Boardwalk Bullet. The ride completely dies out before the brake run and, for that reason, it lost a few points with me. Some of my buddies mentioned that they don't care because it's towards the end, so they just consider it an eventful brake run. I can't see it that way, though. I have expectations for a ride to not let up until the very end.

With that in mind, when I'm on a coaster with a splashdown, its simply a large piece of straight track in an obviously fake trench that gets close to water. As a bystander, it looks awesome! I will give it that. However, as a rider, it adds practically nothing to the ending of the ride. For those reasons, I'd much rather have forfeit the visual effect in favor of an extra bunny hill or something that actually contributes more to the ride experience.

I must say though, if a ride dropped directly down into a splashdown off a bunny hill or something, and then popped right out of the splashdown and onto the brake run, I'd probably not mind at all. My basis for my disapproval comes from Sheikra, where even though there is just one large turn after the splashdown, that turn equates to practically a fourth of the ride given it's short length. For a ride standpoint, I would much rather the ride keep its momentum up, rather than burning it on a visual effect that is only noticeable to bystanders.

Maybe I just sound like an enthusiast snob... I don't know!

I can really understand what you're saying. I love a ride that's non stop, from start to finish. That's another reason why Maverick's my favorite ride. Non stop action! (well, there's a pause, but I don't mind it)

I also get how on the ride it's just a straight piece of track. And an off ride perspective, a really cool water show!

I'm with ginzo. Give us a great ride without gimmicks.

I think the splash downs are cool on the dive machines, but I'm not a big fan of the idea for hypers. A dive machine looses its momentum faster than a hyper and is generally a shorter ride, so having the splash right before the end doesn't make me feel as if I'm being robbed of some cool element that could be in its place. Generally speaking, hypers still have a lot of momentum going into the final brakes, so I see the splash effect on a hyper more as a glorified trim rather than the cool element.