TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

JZ's Ongoing Kings Island Update Thread!

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ WOW! So negative. Cedar Point a close second? I know everyone has their opinion and I certainly respect that. However, CP has become an amusement park icon around the world, just as SFMM has. To say that it has regressed almost as much as KI tells me that you simply don't like the park. In fact, during the 80's most people would rather go to KI over CP. Now the opposite is true. When people talk about roller coasters and amazing parks, Cedar Point is always on the top list. It is always ranked the #1 park for years, even though many of you would disagree. It may have had more trees in the 80's but the draw was not there as it is today. People do not go to CP for themeing or trees. They go to ride roller coasters.

It seems real strange to me that so many people, like the above poster, are never happy with anything certain parks do. It is because of the parks progression from the 80's that so many people go out of their way to visit CP. The strategy that Kinzel has come up with is to build big, fast, and unique coasters and become "Americas Roller Coast." He seems to have accomplished what he set out to do and I, like most, love the park because of it.

If you are jealous or don't like CP, thats fine! Who cares, but you don't have to make bone headed comments all the time, that make no sense at all! LOL

I have been going to CP for 30 years and have over 20 visits, so it is not really a bone headed comment. For years it was my favorite park, but it is no longer the park it used to be and all they really have is a lot of coasters, but few good ones. I miss the dolphin show, jungle Larry's, frontiertown without a coaster running through it and stores full of junk instead of hand made merchandise, a full blown petting zoo, dark rides, multiple flumes and trees. Is that enough reason for you. I was happy with Maverick, just not at the expense of the flume. As far as it always being the number 1 park I could care less what the masses say, I go to parks for one reason and that is to have fun. I no longer have fun at the Point so I go a LOT less then I used too. I would prefer to spend my time at BGE, Hershey, Kennywood, Great Escape, Disney, Waldameer, Adventureland, SFOG, SFGAM, Alton Towers, Chessington or the 50 other parks that I have more fun at. I am happy you love it so and I hope you go all the time so that way I don't have to woory about you being in front of me in line at a park that has a good wooden coaster.

^ WOW! So negative. Cedar Point a close second? I know everyone has their opinion and I certainly respect that. However, CP has become an amusement park icon around the world, just as SFMM has. To say that it has regressed almost as much as KI tells me that you simply don't like the park. In fact, during the 80's most people would rather go to KI over CP. Now the opposite is true. When people talk about roller coasters and amazing parks, Cedar Point is always on the top list. It is always ranked the #1 park for years, even though many of you would disagree. It may have had more trees in the 80's but the draw was not there as it is today. People do not go to CP for themeing or trees. They go to ride roller coasters.

It seems real strange to me that so many people, like the above poster, are never happy with anything certain parks do. It is because of the parks progression from the 80's that so many people go out of their way to visit CP. The strategy that Kinzel has come up with is to build big, fast, and unique coasters and become "Americas Roller Coast." He seems to have accomplished what he set out to do and I, like most, love the park because of it.

If you are jealous or don't like CP, thats fine! Who cares, but you don't have to make bone headed comments all the time, that make no sense at all! LOL

I think someone needs a chill pill. I personally agree that CP and KI have taken turns for the worse over the years. CP used to be a great place to go and have fun, but they have turned it a crazy mecca where when you go, you get to spend $60 to get in, then ride three rides for the day because you have to wait in 3 hour lines everywhere. It's one thing to have great attractions, but you also have to manage the crowds around those attractions and that's where CF fails horribly at all parks. It seems their attitude is "get them to pay and get in the door, then we don't care."

I hate lines personally and that CF really needs to implement the Q-bot or something. Why would any family want to come there and spend the money knowing that they may only get on 3 or 4 rides? Doesn't make sense when you can go to another park with a ride system that will give them a full day of fun. That's the problem with the CF parks, they have a non-caring attitude about everything, except for where their guests put their trash.

I would not go to Disney parks either, mainly because of the crowds and the prices. Just does not seem like a good value, but I will definitely take my kids there one day, because it's an American icon and everyone should visit at least once.

But, to kewl, relax man, everyone has the right to say what they want, but you just look dumb by trying to blast everyone whenever they say something you don't like. It's ok, it's just someone's opinion, they're entitled to it, just like you are to yours. Take the higher road and don't respond, it will help people respect you more.

^Yeah. I was lucky to get in 3 rides on Saturday before 1pm. I got in the park early, too! What's up with Maverick having an HOUR line even when you get in the park at 9AM? Well, thankfully it was day 2 at the park and I had gotten in my rides the day before. When I left around 2, I didn't see a line shorter than 45 minutes. And that was for Gemini. I know Dragster, MF, Maverick, Mantis, Raptor, and Magnum had atleast 1-2 hour lines. Rediculous.

^Yeah. I was lucky to get in 3 rides on Saturday before 1pm. I got in the park early, too! What's up with Maverick having an HOUR line even when you get in the park at 9AM? Well, thankfully it was day 2 at the park and I had gotten in my rides the day before. When I left around 2, I didn't see a line shorter than 45 minutes. And that was for Gemini. I know Dragster, MF, Maverick, Mantis, Raptor, and Magnum had atleast 1-2 hour lines. Rediculous.

I had a similar problem on my most recent trip to Cedar Point. Several major rides were closed when the park opened and Raptor was closed all day. The lines were just nuts. I saw a 90 minute queue for Blue Streak at one point!

Wow, I guess I just got really lucky at the Point...I went up on a Saturday in July and had a max 90 min wait, for Millennium Force at night. I got in 10 coasters, Skyhawk, Maxair, and a repeats on MF, Maxair and 2 on Raptor...

But, I'm not gonna complain about how everyone is bashing CP, simply because I don't have enough park experience to compare it (or KI) to other parks. Personally, I love CP because I love the coasters, and that is what initially draws me to a park...[cringes for repercussions of the statement]. I also haven't been alive long enough to compare KI or CP to their 80s years. But I can say that KI doesn't appeal to me as a landmark park, and I live 45 minutes from it. It just seems...aged...I appreciate what I'm learning from more experienced people here and hope these other parks I plan to visit next summer are what people hype.

As for the hyper, I pray to God they don't mess with the trees around Beast when building it (if it becomes reality). If they destroy Beast's atmosphere, I, an Ohioan and CF-reared enthusiast, will officially disown them. Beast is long and old, but the actual ride ain't no world-classer anymore. It needs the trees.

Personally, I love CP because I love the coasters, and that is what initially draws me to a park...[cringes for repercussions of the statement].

I don't think anyone here will give you grief for saying that. However, as you visit more parks your view of Cedar Point might change a bit. There is more to a park than just having the most coasters.

^Agreed. It is fine if you are just a coaster person. It is great if that is all you are about and that is fine. I get peeved when people say things along the line of "It's the best park because it has the most coasters". IMO those are two entirely different thing. Adventureland in Iowa to me is a much better park, but its coasters are pretty bad. So if you take my approach to parks added to the amount of credits I have, which has really lowered my view of CP coasters you might be able to understand more of where I am coming from.

Example I used to Love Raptor or at least thought I did, but now I prefer:

Nemesis

Nemesis Inferno

Alpengeist

Montu

Great Bear (i realize that is just me)

Now that I look at it, KI has only put in one major THRILL Coaster in the past 7 years. IJST, Reptar were in '01 and '05 and Firehawk installed in mid June '07. Sure, they have added TR:TR and Delirium, KI hasn't had an origional thrilling/intense coaster since Face/Off in '99. I'm discluding SOB because it was a problem and bad descision since they thought of it. HOPEFULLY we will have this B&M.

-J "I KI doesn't suck...but it's not great..."Z

Leaving for Australia in 2 days.

Shouldn't this thread be about how much King's Island sucks?

Yeah, the park has truly "fallen from grace"; I've even noticed a huge decline in the past 5 years.

The park has been going down hill longer than that. I just hope that something big is coming in 2009 and that Cedar Fair will fix the place up with no new ride coming this year.

I don't understand how people can sit here and say both Cedar point and Kings Island have taken a turn for the worse.

They obviously still have their numbers and continue to thrill a new generation.

I say enjoy what you have now, because nothing stays the same.

Wow, I think some people take their home parks too seriously. Being in Columbus ohio, I go to both KI and CP on a regular basis, probably 6 or 7 each per year. Lately more to CP since my 10 year old daughter is so into coasters now. I grew up going to KI and was it better 20 years ago? yes. I remember riding The Beast in 79 when it opened. Hard to put my finger on it, but the atmosphere was great, also seems as though there were more flat rides.

In my opinion KI is not what it used to be, perhaps it turned for the worse when Paramount bought it.

Bottom line is this, I do enjoy both parks. I have fun with my daughter at both parks. I have had fun at Disney, I have had fun at six flags parks. I have had fun at the Busch parks. In my wildest fantasy, Anheuser Busch buys out cedar fair and opens Busch Cedar Gardens Point in Ohio.

If you do not like a park, do not go to it.

BeemerBoy, send me that avatar so I can hold up my end of the bet!

I don't understand how people can sit here and say both Cedar point and Kings Island have taken a turn for the worse.

They obviously still have their numbers and continue to thrill a new generation.

I say enjoy what you have now, because nothing stays the same.

I will have to agree with you. Maybe the reason why some people think "KI was the awesomest park ever before Paramount and CF," is because of childhood memories of when there was a Safari attraction, 80's theming, or The Beast without trims.

Parks change all the time, but people and enthusiasts still come back for more every year. If you really hate KI as it is now, just do a personal boycott of it. Other than that, just get used to change, because just about EVERYTHING changes every day/month/year. Sure, you may have a soft spot from the 70's and 80's, but face it.

The park's management is doing what is best for the park in terms of numbers. And while enthusiasts are a small niche in their market, the general public always comes first. So what if The Beast got a trim brake or some Hanna-Barbera theming was paved over for Spongebob? The GP barely notices and enthusiasts just go on a rant about "the good ol' days when gas cost less than a dollar and we believed in Reaganomics."

I agree with some of the points about things change, but it is weird that I don't long for the past when it comes to Disney, Busch Gardens, Sea World,Indiana Beach, SFGAM. I am curious as to how the people who feel it has changed for the worse just quicky get their opinion brushed to the side as nostaglia. Even if it was nostaglia wouldn't the lose of those things you mentioned about KI be a legitimate reason as to why I felt the park has changed for the worse. Things also do change all the time, and a lot of the time for the worse, New Coke, Hardees Chicken, the Star Wars Prequels, Sega Saturn to name a few. I am not crediting your opinion of the parks as a place that only a person raised on bigger is always better mentality can enjoy.

I personally feel that both KI and CP were better when they had less coasters and more atmosphere. I never made it to KI when they had the safari, but I went to the park when the rides looked cared for and the park was clean.(KI was better this year) But having atmosphere should not be something that has been changed.

As far as the personal boycott thing I do that quite regularily. I spent less then 25.00 inside CF parks this year (MIA, CP, KI,CW,PKD). Only MIA will be visited next year and only because my class voted that park as their field trip choice. No other CF parks will be visited this year and I personally hope to keep that up for the next few years. However I do realize that sooner or later they will add something I have to ride so I know someday I will be back, but as of now I look forward to an almost completely free CF summer.

BTW Homer did you visit KI back before Paramount and CF.

BTW Homer did you visit KI back before Paramount and CF.

It's easy for the guy who has Montu, Kumba, and Sheikra in his home park to speculate on the veracity of our memories.

Another interesting thing to note is there don't seem to be many people who think Kings Island is better today than 20 years ago.

Oh, and yeah I didn't renew my season pass either. I definitely would if they get a hyper coaster though.

• 2 months later...

Ah, a year of Kings Island coverage! Who's ready for the 2008 season?

I'm going to be there opening day, maybe meeting up with a few other guys from KI forums. Anyone else gonna be there and want to meet up?

Let me know!

-(P)KI ManJZ