TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

JZ's Ongoing Kings Island Update Thread!

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on everyone's comments, my thought (and probably almost everyone else's thought) was that the trains would kill the ride, but apparently not. Although it lost the loop, it looks like I have a motive to go to KI eventually.

After riding it in it's latest incarnation,my personal opinion is that while it is a tolerable,re-ridable coaster,it is still not that great of a ride after the second hill.The G-trains are way more comfortable and surprisingly give a faster,smoother feeling ride.They are an upgrade to the Premier trains.

The helices are still the same,the first feeling fast but rough(but not as bad as before) and the second being boring at best.I really wish they could have done something more with the loop replacing track.

But at the same time, the lines seem to be longer than they had been over the last couple of seasons.So while there is still some interest or curiosity for now, I don't believe it will ever be that highly regarded.

Ty

Hey everyone! Happy Friday the 13th!

I just went to KI today for a few hours. I got on a lot of rides for a Friday!

FoF - 1 ride, about 1/2 hour wait

Face/Off - 1 ride, about 1/2 hour wait

Racer - 3 Rides, 0 wait

Delirium - 1 Ride, about 15 minutes

Firehawk - 1 ride, 1/2 hour wait!

Vortex - 1 ride, about 10 minute wait. Good "Arrow Air" As Homer calls it. BE ADVISED! If you sit close to the front, you will be thrown back and forth through ever turn. This may result in head and or neck slams into the restraint.

So Firehawk was the highlight of the day! It was running two trains and using both stations! There was a big section filled up, but the ops were great with enthusing the riders and getting the trains rolling! They would get the trains loaded, send one out, then get the other one ready and dispatch as the 1st train was in the helix. Then there would be a minute of loading/unloading....repeat! The only complain I had is that they would hold flip-flops and souvoneer cups.....but they would NOT take my hat! My hat is just about the same size or smaller than a flip flop...so I had to hold it! Well, I still had a kick ass ride. I made sure the op didn't staple me, and rode in the middle. Butter smooth, forceful loop, fun in-line twists and a great helix. Makes my top 10 and replaces BORG!

And, of course, photos.

Oh yea, got the videos working, hopefully...

They are putting the loop back in.

Ear banging loop for Mr. D

Ear banging side loop for Mrs. D

And she's climbing the stairway...to hea-vuuunnnn....

Yummmyyyyy...oh wait, my ears will hurt after this. Oh yea, that pic of James after the SLC with his ear rings in was DISGUSTING!

Time for Delirium!

Just love that Delirium

Yay for a midway shot

I will be facing forward, because F Racer rules! Edit: I wow...didn't know my pants were dragging that low

TPR Approved racing coaster! Still a little bumpy, but if you sit in the right seat, it's great!

Firehawk!

I like this shot. I would LOVE it if I had a better zoom.

I love this shot.

Comin' round the horseshoe...or egg turn? You choose.

I really like that sign. ALL TEST PILOTS TO FLIGHT DECK!

Tired of horseshoe/egg turns? Okay, it's the last one anyway...

Ever seen this before? Probably NOT! Haha.

Yellow train and looking back at Coney from Firehawk's station.

Station shot! I was on the right side. You have to go down and then up some stairs!

You can get some cool shots from the station!

OMG! Firehawk's transfer track broke and the train de-railed killing 100 people, causing KI to close due to bankrupsy from the suits! PS...you can see some X-Flight remaining in this pic! EMAIL DAN! mrt0ad@aim.com to tell him where it is to win the satisfication of emailing DAN!

...Sike

Certified Test Pilot! Let's fly!

The lift is soooo damn loud!

Two train shot again! Mmm...that's an awesome helix.

Someone will appreciate this.

Firehawk overview

Once again....better zoom = awesome pic.

Oh yea...there was FREE VAULT when I was leaving! I was handed FOUR CANS!!! GAH TOO ....muchh....sugar and caffeine!!

Thanks for reading everyone!

MPEG0015.zip

Son of Beast REVIEW!

MPEG0008.zip

Son of Beast Testing/In Line commentary

DSCN3077.zip

AWESOME transfer track thing!

If you're going to be posting PKI updates almost every week, can you at least keep the consolidated to one thread (like Jahan does with his SFMM updates) as opposed to posting a brand new thread every time?

^^The first one has no sound, I used my camera. The others I used a cam.

And sure thing, Wes.

Thanks Homer and Ginzo! Cedar Point and SFKK trip will be soon....and in January, I'm hittin up DreamWorld, Warner Bros. Movie World, Sea World, and Wet 'n Wild down in Brisbane, Australia! (thanks to my school's exchange program!)

^^The first one has no sound, I used my camera. The others I used a cam.

And sure thing, Wes.

I see. Yeah don't worry about it anyway, I just listened and got the idea of what was going on.

Do you know what was going on with SoB? I hope it will be open when I go. But that's not for around 20 days, so I should be good.

^No idea, just saw what the sign said and didn't even go over there. I have no idea since they just opened up. It could just be today, or a whole week.

Oh yea, at Flight of Fear the sign for Ride Video is still up. I like not being blinded at the launch.

resized_dscn2393_130.thumb.jpg.85f2105fc4030a42740cd718154d431c.jpg

Been there since day 1

So I am not sure if this has been going on for a while, but I rode TR:TR today. There was no movie and NO SOUNDTRACK during the ride! Also, instead of doing a flip into the hang over water, there was just a swing back into position...and it wasn't ever jets of water! It was water with maybe 4 red lights that were VERY dim.....so, a new program?

My overall opinion of 'new?' TR:TR -

DULL! Made me question if I was able to have anychildren in the future! Seriously, without the music....it's BORING! And confusing! All you hear is the machine making noises and screams echoing. Oh yea, notice anything that needs to be fixed in the sign?

Photo by me.

PS. - SoB Was open.

--Zach "Ouch, my tangly-bits hurt" B

Edit: More pics from today.

Why are you still here? Oh yea, anyone can see them too, on the way from the water park to the park, a door is cracked a foot open into backstage-KI.

Almost forgot we had a "SLC in traning" back in Nick-U

Vortex was running a ghost train all day

Still racing!

So yup, I went to KI yesterday. SoB was open.....about a 15 minute wait, so I thought what the hell. Well, I was about 3 trains away from getting on when they announced a small delay. So they kept running the trains to get everyone off the ride, then ran a few empty cycles before stopping the blue train on the transfer track, and then moving it onto a storage track. The process was kinda cool, but a one train op for a 3 1/2 min-4 min ride SUCKS. So my ride on SoB was.........GOOD! Even though the first helix felt like I was in an earthquake, it was kinda fun . BUT that's not best part. Once again, there was AIRTIME! GREAT airtime on the first drop, it's a big hill, folks! A little floater coming down the drop into the first helix, and then again coming down into where the loop was....and finally a little diving down and back up into the brakes. It was a good ride! If it hadn't had such a long wait, I would have got back in line!

The only bad part is how loud the damn lift hill is, really, I felt like I was on Face/Off for a minute

I got a ride on Firehawk and they were assigning seats today...hadn't had that happen before, but I got the front seat! FRONT IS BEST! Really cool feeling on the loop!

Two rides on the Beast in the........Back Seat!!! I used to be terrified of this seat, but now, it's smooth! And there was even some wana be floater airtime! Oh yea, they put lights in the first part of the final tunnled helix. Kinda cool. Oh yea, the night ride was great!

Drop Zone still down.

Oh, on a work point, we are only allowed to have three people working at Three Point Challenge now....rumor has it something happened up at Cedar Point...I don't understand why it's affecting us, because it is hell with only 3 people workin.

Had a bad ride on the Racer

Umm....pics and video up soon!

dscn3169jk3.jpg.75fb76fb9dae56c6f7b4dbff3f5ee578.jpg

What an honor! :p

^Not sure, but have there always been two? One infront of IJST and on the to left of the Eiffel Tower. One has date and clock, one just clock.

7 Years later, and I think it's in its prime. Still tallest and Fastest....2nd longest wooden coaster?

Some nice views of Top Gun now that SoB re-re opened.

A combination of wood and steel.

The station. I still **LOVE** the biohazard signs...eventhough it doesn't fit a theme.

Still think it's odd how far the wheel covers come to the track....

Son of Beast....through the wood!

The drop out of the station with some helix and part of the first big drop

Blue train on Transfer Track....with random chick.

Ughhhhh...I felt like I went through a level 5 earthquake, but then again i felt some strong forces, speed, and even some good airtime, but thennn...I thought my ear drums were going to explode at the begenning.....soooo .....WTF just happened to me?!?!??!?!

Vortex was good!

Though someone puked allllll over the first car, so they hosed it out and ran a ghost train for aboutttt an hour.

See? Now it's nice and shiny.

OH!! One BIG thing!

Firehawk's red paint is already chipping off in 4 VERY notable places! The neon lime green is brightly showing!

DSCN3166.zip

SoB transferation!

I went to King's Island on July 5 and July 6. I went on all 13 coasters at the park and I thought that the first helix on Son of Beast was incredibly rough. The drop out of the station was a new and exciting experience for me. The lift hill did not seem as long as I planned, which was a plus. The turn around for the first drop built up my anticipation for the rest of the ride. The first big drop was one of the best that I've ever had on a wooden roller coaster. It had just the correct amount of roughness and a huge amount of speed. Going up the next hill, I was starting to wonder why so many people hated this ride. And then it happen: the train turned. That first turn at that rate of speed was incredibly uncomfortable. It only got worse. The next 20 seconds were some of the worst that I have ever experienced on any roller coaster. That helix was terrible! I was pretty sure that my internal organs were in different locations after the train stopped as a direct result of that helix. The rest of the ride wasn't nearly as bad as that first helix of death and was borderline enjoyable. The section that had the vertical loop replaced was one the best parts of the ride because it was relatively smooth! After that first drop there was less airtime then I expected for such a tall coaster. Son of Beast was a one of those rides that you only go on once in your life.

I went to King's Island on July 5 and July 6. I went on all 13 coasters at the park and I thought that the first helix on Son of Beast was incredibly rough. The drop out of the station was a new and exciting experience for me. The lift hill did not seem as long as I planned, which was a plus. The turn around for the first drop built up my anticipation for the rest of the ride. The first big drop was one of the best that I've ever had on a wooden roller coaster. It had just the correct amount of roughness and a huge amount of speed. Going up the next hill, I was starting to wonder why so many people hated this ride. And then it happen: the train turned. That first turn at that rate of speed was incredibly uncomfortable. It only got worse. The next 20 seconds were some of the worst that I have ever experienced on any roller coaster. That helix was terrible! I was pretty sure that my internal organs were in different locations after the train stopped as a direct result of that helix. The rest of the ride wasn't nearly as bad as that first helix of death and was borderline enjoyable. The section that had the vertical loop replaced was one the best parts of the ride because it was relatively smooth! After that first drop there was less airtime then I expected for such a tall coaster. Son of Beast was a one of those rides that you only go on once in your life.

Yeah, it's because instead of waiting a year to get PTCs or finding them secondhand, they went with a pair of secondhand Gerstlauer trains, which are crap to begin with. Add 6 years of use on the Hurricane at the Pavilion (with no retracking) and you have some trains that not only track poorly, but also have terrible padding.

I think they should custom order some of the new PTC 1-bench trains for next season, maybe that would help salvage the coaster a bit more.