TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Taking On-Ride Photos

It seems that more and more parks have put all out bans on taking cameras onto rollercoaster rides (Health & Safety) Yes i can understand large professional cameras or video cameras but are there any known instances when a camera has injured a rider or park guest. I can not recall ever hearing of this in any news reports.

I used to take a tiny compact camera secured to my wrist to get those excellent onride pics but it seems parks are asking clubs and sites not to do this any longer and not to post pictures of this nature, to discourage others doing the same.

Would be interested in others views on this

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the rules are put into place for a reason and that you should follow the posted rules of the park. The only time that you should EVER take onride photos is when you are under the direct supervision of a representative of the park -- and then and only then should be allowed to take the photos under their rules and stipulations. Failure to request permission from the park before taking onride photos could cause not only you but others who go through the proper channels headaches and ill feelings between all parties involved.

In 2005 while riding Batman Krypton at SFFT, at the top of the lift i heard some change roll out of someones pocket onto the seat.

Apparently at the top of the vertical loop it came out the seat.

Comming out of the loop at the bottom, i was hit squarely in the middle of the forehead by a coin. It hurt like hell and i had a red spot for an hour on my forehead. I aint indonesian either.

I would hate to think of what would happened if it hit my eye, or was anything at all bigger like a small camera.

Even if it was the smallest of camera, i would probably gone to the hospital for stitches.

There is a reason cameras, phones and loose objects are not allowed no matter what size they are.

Ok

So can i ask those of you who have obtained onride photos, did you ask permission or just take the risk.

I have found in some American Parks i could ask the ride operator if it was ok (especially small parks) usually on a coaster that does not travel over other guests it is not a problem. With the corporate parks it seems impossible.

My site and a friends site for Blackpool PB have recentely been asked not to include non-official onride pics/videos onto there site by the owners of the park. I have to wonder how this may affect the onride videos posted to TPR

Ok

So can i ask those of you who have obtained onride photos, did you ask permission or just take the risk.

I have found in some American Parks i could ask the ride operator if it was ok (especially small parks) usually on a coaster that does not travel over other guests it is not a problem. With the corporate parks it seems impossible.

My site and a friends site for Blackpool PB have recentely been asked not to include non-official onride pics/videos onto there site by the owners of the park. I have to wonder how this may affect the onride videos posted to TPR

Always ask permission!!!! If they say no, tough tits. Don't do it. Some are more likely to say yes than others, depending on the type of coaster, speed, forces, etc. If you have a strap, wrap it around your wrist if you get permission, that way its less likely to come off. Duct tape and gaffa tape work well together when tying it to your hand.

Once again, ALWAYS ask permission before hand

and i gave you a valid answer. I said it may not affect them at all.

" Them " meaning any other site, on the net, with that particular content.

I think you know exactly what i mean though.

I will be curiously watching the site to see what happens.

Which should be nothing.

In the US, it's not just the chance of injury caused by the loose objects, it's also the resulting lawsuits! Other countries are generally a little more relaxed, especially places like Coney Beach (where safety comes in second)

If you want permission to take a camera on a ride, you should first get the okay from guest relations, since they have more authority than any ride op.

Ok heres my 2 cents.

At Cedar Point this October i actually had to talk my friend to not taking pictures on power tower, and I would be the person that would be trying to take the pictures!

But honestly think about it, even the smallest digital camera weighs a few ounces, and if that camera is traveling around 25 mph, if that hit anyone, especially in the head, it could seriously hurt them. And 25 mph is still pretty slow, if you dropped a camera off say Power Tower for example, it would be traveling way over 25 mph when it hits someone/the ground. And as WillMontu said in the U.S everyone files lawsuits over everything, remember the whole McDonalds lawsuit where someone sued because they burned themselves on coffee? I say if you want to take pictures on ride, always ask a ride-op, and if they say no don't do it, theres almost always a good reason.

I work at Dueling Dragons.. and obviously bringing a camera on Dragons is dangerous for everyone on your train and everyone on the other train. For most of us riding a coaster is normal and we would rarely drop a camera on the ride.. but trust me when you deal with guests on a regular basis you probably DONT want them to be dangling a video camera around in front of you when you're going 60 mph.

^^I guess that is true. But if you are more of a "classic coaster" person, and go to a big park with an old woodie, they probably wouldn't let you. Usually ride ops are more laid back and have a better attitude at smaller parks. You really want to try holding on to it on a smaller coaster first, then moving your way up.

I just wish parks would be less strict about photography in general. I understand not taking pictures on coasters but at Dorney for example, they say photography is prohibited on all rides, even slow rides like the 2 trains, merry go round etc. You could get some different angled shots of Talon from the train ride if they allowed it.

I think it's really for parks to cover their ass when it comes to liability. They shouldn't be liable for some idiot having a camera on any ride whether it be slow or fast.

I don't agree with it, especially when people sneak them on and don't give a crap about any consequences. Whether or not a ride operator says yes or not, for you not to get banned or ejected from a park, the best bet is to clear it with either Guest Relations or a Public Relations Director.

Hey if you have park permission i'm all for it, but if you don't, don't be stupid and do it.

Our stance on the subject is quite simple - if it not allowed by the park, do not take cameras on rides. PERIOD.

Even if a ride operator tells you it's "ok" we are telling you now that most ride operators ARE NOT the official spokesperson for the park and if you were kicked out of the park or banned from the park the argument of "the ride op said it was ok" would not be a good enough excuse.

Now I'm not saying that I 100% agree with this logic, but I support it because parks have asked us to. They HAVE cracked down more on the issue of cameras on rides to the point that if we see photos posted here from parks that we know do not allow cameras, and they are taken without permission, we have to remove the photos and warn that the member could be banned from the site.

If you want permission to take photos or video on rides at a park that does not normally allow it for use on your website, you need to contact the public relations department.

There are some parks out there that DO allow cameras on rides, so please check with the park before you take your camera.

Oddly enough Disney, one of the most litigious companies I know of, allows you to take your cameras on almost ALL attractions, even most of their roller coasters without question.

Strange, huh?

--Robb

I've only ever been to two parks where I could film on the rides (Walt Disney World and Fun Spot in Angola, IN). After trying it a few times, I really don't see what the big deal with filming on rides is... you can get the same and usually BETTER shots from the public areas.

But seriously, just call the park before you go and make sure it's okay before you even try it. I know I'm just repeating what everyone says, but being someone who's been hit by several objects flying off rides, PLEASE obey the park's rule, no matter how stupid you may think it is.

I have taken my camera on rides before (a really large video camera mind you) and although I have never been caught or lost the camera I don't take it anymore because the fact of the matter is the little strap while effective is NOT by any means fail safe and could snap and there goes your camera right before your eyes...could happen to anybody even those with much experience...however if a park allows you to film on a ride then go ahead...besides if you really want a POV that bad you can contact the marketing or PR department of a park and chances are that they will have POVs of every coaster at the park...