TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

To Go Or Not To Go?

What would you do if you were me?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do if you were me?

• I would go to Florida and not take the Scholarship.
    • I would take the Scholarship and not go to Florida.

Ok so I am moving to Florida to work at Walt Disney World. But today I got a letter in the mail. I have been approved for a Scholarship, but only if I go to the college this fall, but I leave for Florida in May. So should I not go to Florida and take the full ride scholarship? Or go to Florida and not take the scholarship? This is such a hard decision. Plus to make things worse they will not allow me to attend the college at any other time and still get the scholarship. I know most of you will say that it is my choice. Only I can decide. Well can you atleast say what you would do? I mean this is really a hard decision for me.

~Matthew

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you want to go to the school? Would you want to go there if you weren't getting a scholarship? Would you definitely be going there if you didn't have get the job at Disney? Is there a major there that applies to what you want to do as a career?

It depends on what you want to do in life, and that's your decision.

If there's a certain field you want to go into that college provides, then go to school. And what will you get out of going to disney and florida? If that's a field you wish to go into that being a disney helps with, then disney will only help your resume later.

Also, who's to say that you can't reapply for the scholarship next year? Is it a one-time thing only available to people just graduating high school? And if you gotta get a pell grant or student loan, those options are open for you. For you to get a full scholarship, your grades must be good and if you apply again, i doubt they'll deny you and you may get that scholarship based on your high school transcript.

Certainly there's a lot of things to think about; and if you put your mind to it, you can most likely go to disney for a bit and get back in college the next year. Most schools won't penalize you when you take time off and head back to college, especially if you make it seem like you wanted to fulfill a dream and sell it on your application or essay.

Good luck with your decision.

Plus to make things worse they will not allow me to attend the college at any other time and still get the scholarship. I know most of you will say that it is my choice. Only I can decide. ~Matthew

^^I think this means he can not re-apply for the scholarship, but I'm not sure as the sentence structure is weak.

Do you want to go to the school? Would you want to go there if you weren't getting a scholarship? Would you definitely be going there if you didn't have get the job at Disney? Is there a major there that applies to what you want to do as a career?

No I do not want to go to the school. I would not go to the school if it was not for the scholarship. I would not go there if I did not have a job with disney. There is a major that applies to my future career though.

I'm sorry if I missed it, but what school are you talking about? You could always do the college internship program or something.

The school is University of Arkansas Fort Smith. The only reason I do not want to take it is because I want out of this state. I can not stand the people. They are all stupid redneck's and they get on my freaking nerves so bad. They think that beer and boobs is what life is all about... ummm no.... its not. I just want to get out of this place. That is why I was so excited about the Disney job, but now I do not know what to do.

~Matthew

Take the money, go to college, and do the Disney College Program in a year or so. Its a win-win situation. You get the money and you get to work at Disney. I know quite a few people who have done it and they love it.

Thats what I would do if I were you. I know many people who have done the College Program, and they all had a great time. Even if you don't do the CP you can always work at Disney after you graduate.

Ron "Disney will always be there, a full ride scholarship won't" Patton

The school is University of Arkansas Fort Smith. The only reason I do not want to take it is because I want out of this state. I can not stand the people. They are all stupid redneck's and they get on my freaking nerves so bad. They think that beer and boobs is what life is all about... ummm no.... its not. I just want to get out of this place. That is why I was so excited about the Disney job, but now I do not know what to do.

~Matthew

Hey man, I know what you mean, Arkansas's schools...well...for the most part, suck. I say take the scholarship and use it for your undergrad then go out of state for your graduate work.

Plus to make things worse they will not allow me to attend the college at any other time and still get the scholarship. I know most of you will say that it is my choice. Only I can decide. ~Matthew

^^I think this means he can not re-apply for the scholarship, but I'm not sure as the sentence structure is weak.

Larry, remember when you said this:

^Terrence, as a general rule, I don't go around acting like a 19th-century schoolmarm, correcting the grammar and syntax of others when I'm "off the clock."

Exactly how is correcting grammar helping him make a decision? Besides, you're proofreading and you can't get my name right! Let it go boo and get over it!

Anyway, back on topic. Matthew, if you don't want to go to that school, don't go. Doing something you don't want to do is not going to make you happy, no matter how "right" it sounds to others.

If going to disney will make you happy go and do it. And if you don't like it, go back to school, preferrably to one you will like. There are other ways to finance your education.

Terrance

The only reason I do not want to take it is because I want out of this state. I can not stand the people. They are all stupid redneck's and they get on my freaking nerves so bad. They think that beer and boobs is what life is all about... ummm no.... its not.

~Matthew

What??? Life is about more than beer and boobs?

I've got some bad news for you. You're going to encounter this attitude from a majority of students at nearly any university that you attend. Get used to it.

You should strongly consider the free education. I'm not sure that someone your age can fully appreciate the burden that massive debt will place on you when you get out of school. Things like buying cars, houses, going on nice trips could be delayed while you are paying off those !@#!@ loans.

On the other hand, if you absolutely detest the school, then don't go there. Life is too short for misery.

Terrancew_hod: Apologies for misspelling your name, but what the hell crawled up your butt and died?

I gave him advice in my first post.

The second post about the grammar was to help "you" understand his situation. You are the one who requested that I be more helpful. Sorry my help comes with a tinge of sarcasm.

Also, that was cfc who doesn't like acting like a schoolmarm.

Now back to the thrillrideseeker - Why did you apply to a school that you don't want to attend? If you have no interest in attending this school that offered you a scholarship maybe you should go to Disney and re-apply to other schools that you would like to attend.

But as mcjaco and ginzo said - beer and boob lovers are at most colleges. As far as people that annoy you, they can be found everywhere, even the happiest place on earth.

Thrillrideseeker, I hope you don't mind if I interject here for a moment, but I'm curious about a couple things. You're still concerned about leaving home, and friends, right? Second, what are your images of Floridians as compared to your local Arkansas "rednecks?"

In other words, what are you envisioning your Disney experience to be like? Although working for the mouse as a Disney fan can be very rewarding, I get the sense you're not quite ready to make such a huge life changing jump. As it's been said earlier, there's idiots everywhere. In fact, you may be surprised to know that Central Florida still has quite a few rednecks as well as every other type of person under the sun.

Personally, it'd be a no-brainer for me. Take the education first. There's no harm in testing the waters. You may even find you like it more than you thought you would. And yes, there's always the college program that's been mentioned in here. Trust us, WDW isn't going anywhere. It'll still be there for you when you're 100% positive that you're ready to step out and explore what's beyond Arkansas. The scholarship, on the other hand, isn't guaranteed to everyone. Don't pass it up.

I know far too many people that have graduated from college with a debt load of $50-80,000 (or more, in some cases). College is an insane amount of money now, and if you have a full-ride scholarship offer, it is an opportunity not to pass up. Being able to get a college education and be debt-free at the end of it will put you far ahead in life, both by having a college degree and not starting out your post-college life in a huge debt hole.

Like others have said, if you still want to work at Disney you can always do the college program in a few years, or even go work there after graduation. They will always be hiring.

dt

You should take the scholarship. I was offered a free ride to the University at Buffalo and turned it down because it's only 20 minutes from my parents' house. Well guess what? I ended up going there for my master's degree anyway and now i have $30,000 in student loans to pay back. Not taking that scholarship is my biggest regret in my life.