TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers 18th TR

Arrived at 9:40 because i got stuck behind a Granny Mobile, and a council sweeper. I arrived and noticed how many Uni students there was, hundreds ! So i went onto the monorail and got to the park. £ 25 for two people is good Then i firstly went to Rita with a massive 5 minute queue with one train, i was about to be on the waiting area until... it broke. So i went off to Oblivion, great ride, no queue Then spinball whizzer, it was good ride yet there was no 2 adults per car rule? Then onto Duel, got beat again! The Haunted Hollow was quite funny, i kept calling the figures my relatives since i was in a good mood. Then onto the RMT which was alot faster. The ride op was great ! Depending on how loud your train screamed, you either got 4 rounds or 3 or 2. Mine got 4, i never screamed i just got deafened. Nemesis was a bit rough and Air loved the break downs. Sky ride wasn't working yet the cars weren't even on the cables.. Where do they go ?

At end of day i went on Rita and i was sat there.... " Its counting down ... 3..2..1.. GOO" and we didn't move... " the ride break down annoucement" So.... eventually we went backwards to end of station then forwards and " Hope you enjoyed your ride on Rita" funny joke :S ... then here we go again " 3 ... 2 .. " Great timing, we went at 2 1/2 !

Ride Count

Rita x 3

Oblivion x 3

Air x 1

Nemesis x 1

Spinball x 2

RMT x 2

Rapids x 1

Duel x 1

Rita Cafe was delightful

Charlie x 1 ( what a waste of 2 minutes queuing)

Good day, full of Uni people though.

Photo report coming later tonight

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice Mini report:

Alton Towers does have a lot going for it and I enjoy my time spent at the Park whenever I visit it. I was there in 2002 and need to go back soon to check out "Spinball".

The Park does have 1 problem and that is "can't build over / go higher than the tree-line". A shame as a B&M Floorless and a massive woodie is what the Park needs.

Sorry but Alt.. Awful Towers is just a massive cash cow for the owners who don't really give a toss about building a park that's fun for ALL the family and comes in at a decent price. The place is always messy with a good proportion of Chavs helping the mess along. It's rife with queue jumpers and for what it is it's expensive. Instead of investing those millions that they waste every time on the latest "World's first" they'd be better off spending the money on proper theming, cleaning the place up and at least a dozen good flat rides to start spreading the queues out a bit.

The so called "Magic" disappeared a long time ago but for some reason the owners just can't see that. Oh, I know why they can't see it! The size of their bank balance is blocking the view of the park!

I don't really agree with all of that, but the prices are bad ! I got two tickets for £25 so i wasn't bothered about the food. The park have got a good selection of rides and for the location, they are good. You can't exactlty build Medusa's and Kingda Ka's since Planning permission is AT biggest nightmare. They do add attractions each year and they try to alternate the type of ride so the whole family enjoys a day out. Reminding you they are supposed to be getting a wooden coaster and water ride next year.

You mean the Woodie that they SAY they're going to build every year when really they've already decided to build something else. It's a smoke screen, always has been always will be. They get the locals all worried about some noisy, ricketty woodie and when they kick up a stink they miraculously whip out plan B which funnily enough is already fully prepared and ready to go. I used to go to Awful Towers four to five times a year but now I'd only go if someone paid for me or at least got me a good chunk of the extortionate entrance fee reduced.

It just makes me mad when I trundle off round Europe on my tours and see how parks should be run then come back to the second rate and poorly presented CR4P we put up with over here.

Well, this happens to be my favourite park. I do like their selection of rides. An invert, a flyer, a rocket and a dive machine. A wooden coaster would really finish the park. I also like the way they constructed everything. They really made use of natural elevation in the landscape. The park is full of trees and the theming is good. Especially in the forbidden valley section of the park.

Building more flat rides is not a good idea to make a park bigger. Flat rides belong on fairs, not in themeparks. I visit themeparks for Roller Coasters, dark rides, and large water rides; not for ordinary top spins or breakdances.

Jan - who enjoyed his taco in the forbidden valley section of the park - ster.

Sorry but Alt.. Awful Towers is just a massive cash cow for the owners who don't really give a toss about building a park that's fun for ALL the family and comes in at a decent price. The place is always messy with a good proportion of Chavs helping the mess along. It's rife with queue jumpers and for what it is it's expensive. Instead of investing those millions that they waste every time on the latest "World's first" they'd be better off spending the money on proper theming, cleaning the place up and at least a dozen good flat rides to start spreading the queues out a bit.

The so called "Magic" disappeared a long time ago but for some reason the owners just can't see that. Oh, I know why they can't see it! The size of their bank balance is blocking the view of the park!

I suggest you get to the park ASAP. The general consensus is that it is looking better this season that it has for 4 or 5 years. Oblivion, the station and mist is looking fabulous, the Mine Train is back open and all attractions are running very well indeed.

Also, as for the entrance price, well online (and face it, thats the only way to book for AT) it is £18 (€27/$35) until 31st May and then the standard rate of £24 (€35/$46) applies. These prices are fairly comparable with most other parks. The on-the-day price is very expensive, but how many people do you know who ever actually pay that? I don't think I ever paid the gate price in all the years before I owned an annual pass (which, at £65 is very good value).

From what you say about the park, i'd say you are stuck in the 'dark years' of 2003/4 when there were problems - but in my view Alton Towers is turning a corner now, yes the wooden coaster may not come in 2008 - but with the takeover from Merlin, I am sure the long-term future of the park is secure.